• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Photos of My M916

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a few photos today next to a M911 w/M747 trailer with a M109 on it. I hadn't ever seen a 911 up close and I always imagined they were much bigger.

I'm sure the axles, brakes and suspension is bigger than my 916's, but it didn't seem like it was that much larger, really. The 911 cab is definitely smaller and the 916 is taller.

LET and HET -

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the air bags on the air suspension on my cab now has some holes in it and leaks air. It still inflates and works correctly, and the air compressor can handle the drain, but I'd still like to replace it.

I haven't ever dealt with anything like this. Anybody ever changed one before? I I have to lift the cab up enough to get the air bag out, but I'm not sure. Can't look in the TM, because this isn't in the TM.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inflate the bag, place cribbing in between the cab and frame, deflate, remove. Might be a standard OTR truck item. A lot easier than replacing the stock rubber bushings which I am faced with on my 916. They are AWOL. Thanks to wsucougarx I am all fixed up with new ones. Now comes the contortionist act to get to the thru-bolt.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed some Truck-lite LED tail lights on the 916. They went on very easy and were a drop-in replacement. They are considerably brighter and have the same fit, function, and design as the stock lights. I did not have to change anything else for them to work correctly. The fender mounted turn signals are still stock incandescent lights, so I think the turn signal flasher still works correctly. If I were to change those lights to LED, I may have to get an electronic flasher. Luckily, that should also be a drop-in replacement item on this truck.

I like them so far. Perhaps tonight I will try and get some night time shots.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a standard electronic flasher from a fleet pride (OTR truck parts dealer here) and it was pretty cheap. I just took the old one in and they found one with the same pin input outputs. I'll get the number off the one in my truck for you if you want it.

Love the LED tail lights, I really want to do that to mine as well.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed Truck-lite LED headlights and LED blackout driving lamp. I might have to go ahead and get the LED turn signal lamps and cab marker lights too. :mrgreen:

The lights were an easy drop in solution. I don't think I spent more than 5 minutes total for both lights. Once again, the lights are great. Much brighter, much farther throw, etc.

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This weekend, I noticed an air leak that would empty the air tanks in less than 15 minutes. I discovered that the other air bag that I didn't replace earlier has several holes in it. Oh well, its always something.

GHall

That truck is wicked! Is that a front sway bar? It looks as big around as a beer can.. I also like what you did to the exhaust stack, clean lookin!

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is wicked! Is that a front sway bar? It looks as big around as a beer can.. I also like what you did to the exhaust stack, clean lookin!
It doesn't have a sway bar, you're probably seeing the tie rod. It is pretty big. I didn't really do anything to the exhaust stack other than paint it. It did turn out good, though. I The primer I used was not high heat primer, so I have to repaint it occasionally after I get it hotter than normal and burn off some paint.

GHall

You're right, I was looking at some old pictures with the truck running and the flap on the exhaust made it look like it had a turn out but with it off it was straight lookin. Very nice lookin truck...

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally fixed my battery box up to where its not cobbled together. Since I don't use 4 batteries, the stock battery hold downs were not working very well and allowing my batteries to slide around more than they should.

I found this dual group 27 battery holder online and it is simple, but seems to do the job correctly. I also replaced the wood insert. (Apparently even wood is known to the state of California to cause cancer... etc...)

I put a 50 cal can in there too so I could have some additional storage. Maybe battery related things, like a few water bottles of distilled water, eyedropper, etc. It turned out nice.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks