• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing Smokey

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've wandered my back back into a CUCV. This time a 1008, ex- sheriff truck. I picked it up three weekends ago. I had to replace the IP, install batteries, install a tailgate, replace the radiator and oil cooler lines, and put a seat cover on it. There's still a lot to do, but it's got potential. It's an 85 model. Just got a tag and insurance on it yesterday. I picked up a 8" lift kit today for it too. (Used, have to get brake lines, some steering parts, and shocks) I'll probably take a leaf out of the front packs as well. I'm going to set it on a set of 37's with 12 bolt wheels.

Oh and it's going to go back OD!

Attachments

forest522

Smokey's friends need a home too!

If Smokey has stirred up any of us to get one too, GL has a few listed in NM and NV - probably rust free! Looks like they need transportation though...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've wandered my back back into a CUCV. This time a 1008, ex- sheriff truck. I picked it up three weekends ago. I had to replace the IP, install batteries, install a tailgate, replace the radiator and oil cooler lines, and put a seat cover on it. There's still a lot to do, but it's got potential. It's an 85 model. Just got a tag and insurance on it yesterday. I picked up a 8" lift kit today for it too. (Used, have to get brake lines, some steering parts, and shocks) I'll probably take a leaf out of the front packs as well. I'm going to set it on a set of 37's with 12 bolt wheels.
Oh and it's going to go back OD!
Hmm...let's see... a wrecker, gammagoat and a CUCV in just a VERY short time!:shock:

Has patracy won the GA Lottery?:D
Will his compound become the new CAMO compound?:shock:

Seems like patracy is facinated by noisey engines!:beer:

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I wish I won the lottery! I just keep adding a little more here and there to what I have and step up to the next thing. I'm pretty much happy with what I've got now though, I don't see anything changing soon. Except I might bob a deuce.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs! Only two automobiles here have em, one of them isn't even really mine. LOL

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Installed a set of lift springs on the front today. Have to tighten up the U bolts tomorrow, but it's sitting on the springs right now. Also have to install my steering adjustments (S link and steering block) and the shocks. I used a set of new 2wd 3/4 ton brake lines. Had to use the propane torch to bend them into a 90* bend at the caliper end, but a very cheap upgrade. Once I get the front end buttoned up, I'll back it up to the wrecker and start on the rear. I LOVE having a wrecker! This would have sucked without a automotive lift. :grd:

BTW, it going to end up with about 7" of lift in the front and 5" in the rear to make it level. It's going on a set of 8 bolt wheels and humvee tires.

swampzr2

Very nice,

post pics with the new tires wheels and lift when done. I just bought a 1988 V30 crew cab 4x4 from govdeals. They said it was an ex-army truck. I want to do the lift and hummer tires and wheels as well to get the higher top speed.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very nice,

post pics with the new tires wheels and lift when done. I just bought a 1988 V30 crew cab 4x4 from govdeals. They said it was an ex-army truck. I want to do the lift and hummer tires and wheels as well to get the higher top speed.
Certainly will. Only reason I didn't post any pics is because it's pretty goofy looking at the moment. rofl

your gonna hate the steering block. are you going to go to cross over at some point ?
I've had more 73-87 chevy 4x4s than I can recall. All of which have had the drop steering. I'm not planning on replacing the steering box, creating a steering link, buying a pitman arm, buying a custom passenger arm, and rod ends. Yes, steering is compromised, but this truck will not be beat on off road. It's just going to be a rolling billboard for MORT and played with in the occasional mud puddle. When I want to go rock climbing I've got a diesel powered, flexy, cross-steer'ed suzuki samurai for that. Maybe I should replace the 6.2 with a blown alcohol big block so I can race people since I'm going to hate how slow the truck is while we're at it...

Nice truck!! Only thing that would be better then a m1008 is a nice m1028
This one is getting whipped into shape slowly as a daily driver. Once the lift is done, I'm going to install the turbo setup. Then I'm going to attack the bodywork. I wouldn't mind a front limited slip out of a 1028 for it though...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Had a few bumps along the way. The lift kit I installed was used. Bubba thought it'd be fine to use factory drag link ends, even though that's too long fully collapsed. So I chucked the stock drag link ends I removed from the truck into the lathe and cut 1.5" out of each of them. That got me close enough to the correct length. I also managed to knock the drivers side grease fitting off when I swung the drag link around adjusting it. Luck was with me when I easy-out'ed the threads trapped in the hole. Popped a new one back in place. The front end is DONE. Got the back end up on the lift blocks and the u-bolts sorta in place. (Going to back them off and reposition them square) I've got to cut a section of metal to extend the brake lever and weld it back in (Just cut it to allow me to install the blocks). Also need to swap out the rear brake hose and install the rear shocks. I've got a set of 1" drop spacers for the t-case. But it was getting dark so I couldn't check my rear driveshaft angle. If I can manage without it, I'll leave it be. (While dropping the t-case helps the rear driveshaft, it actually increases the angle the front driveshaft CV has to deal with) Oh and here's a pic of the redneck vehicle lift. rofl

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks