• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing Smokey

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I need to get it painted. Tony is going to paint it for me. But I just haven't had time to get it over to him.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I've been putting off doing anything to the 1008 for a while. But Friday a dead starter and the need to be able to tow a trailer prompted some much needed attention. Tony had a starter that got it running again.The towing hitch project took longer than expected. 34 year old rusted up fasteners didn't want to cooperate. So the blue wrench removed them in liquid form. Gotta pick up 4 carriage bolts and install the 7 pin and 4 pin plug. But now smokey can tow anything. (Yes the ball is upside down, was using that hitch to tow a military trailer with the jeep. It will be flipped.) I'm also not keen on a bolt together hitch, I'll weld it into one piece. 20181202_135735.jpg20181202_152112.jpg20181202_155332.jpg20181202_181153.jpg20181202_180644.jpg20181202_181001.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Keith_J

So I've been putting off doing anything to the 1008 for a while. But Friday a dead starter and the need to be able to tow a trailer prompted some much needed attention. Tony had a starter that got it running again.The towing hitch project took longer than expected. 34 year old rusted up fasteners didn't want to cooperate. So the blue wrench removed them in liquid form. Gotta pick up 4 carriage bolts and install the 7 pin and 4 pin plug. But now smokey can tow anything. (Yes the ball is upside down, was using that hitch to tow a military trailer with the jeep. It will be flipped.) I'm also not keen on a bolt together hitch, I'll weld it into one piece. View attachment 749766View attachment 749767View attachment 749768View attachment 749769View attachment 749770View attachment 749771

I concur on the hitch. I too got mine from Amazon but paid 8x more. All welded Draw Tite 41938. Only had to drill 4 holes and relocate the spare tire carrier. It is a Class V at 15k with weight dist, 12k without.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Didn't take photos, but I finished installing the 7 pin plug and a 4 pin. Tightened up a loose steering box. And replaced the heater core. Need to give it a wash and install the dash cover I have. I should probably install a radio too if I start driving it more.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just got home from picking up that 25kw transmitter I won. About a 200 mile trip today. Smokey didn't miss a step. I wish it had a OD though just to help with fuel consumption and noise. I will be installing a radio at least to make it less monotonous to drive. Trailer and load were probably 6K.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got a hitch installed and picked up a trailer suitable to pull the hmmwv or other things. 20190822_192557.jpg

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for adding me to the group. PA is a friend of mine, and I’ve been doing some work to his CUCV. He wanted me to post a few updates here. So far as metal work, Smokey has gotten both cab corners, and a left rear lower bed patch panel. Found some interesting trinkets in the cab corners when they got cut out. A brand new pack of tax free Marlboro reds was in the passenger cab corner, along with a pack of blue ink pens. The driver side had a glowstick, and a pull tab (similar to the old ones beer can used). I sprayed the bed and left side of the truck as a test to see how this Gillespie paint does. It’s different than the base/clear I’m used to spraying and I got a few runs I’m going to address. Smokey being white from the sheriffs dept Andrew got it from, there was a few dings and bent places I’m going to go back and address now that I’ve seen them in the 383 Green. You’ll all have to over look the fact I’m terrible at documenting things. I’ve tried to keep up with what I’ve done, but I have fallen short. Anyways thanks again for having me on the group. I look forward to contributing however I can.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for adding me to the group. PA is a friend of mine, and I’ve been doing some work to his CUCV. He wanted me to post a few updates here. So far as metal work, Smokey has gotten both cab corners, and a left rear lower bed patch panel. Found some interesting trinkets in the cab corners when they got cut out. A brand new pack of tax free Marlboro reds was in the passenger cab corner, along with a pack of blue ink pens. The driver side had a glowstick, and a pull tab (similar to the old ones beer can used). I sprayed the bed and left side of the truck as a test to see how this Gillespie paint does. It’s different than the base/clear I’m used to spraying and I got a few runs I’m going to address. Smokey being white from the sheriffs dept Andrew got it from, there was a few dings and bent places I’m going to go back and address now that I’ve seen them in the 383 Green. You’ll all have to over look the fact I’m terrible at documenting things. I’ve tried to keep up with what I’ve done, but I have fallen short. Anyways thanks again for having me on the group. I look forward to contributing however I can.
Well Heck! A big welcome to the outfit!

That is quite a collection that you found in the cab corner pockets. That pull tab seems to be circa somewhere between 1963 and 1975. I couldn't find any definite end date - and I think there may even still be some specialty cans still made that way. But it looks old (and cool) to me. The tax free cigs tell the story though about how things used to be. Really neat finds!

I have no skills when it comes to painting. I can use a rattlecan pretty well but that is about the best I got. Still, I have to watch and look and every now and again learn something new. :)

Try and keep us up to date with your latest fixes and again -- Welcome to the group.

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Heck! A big welcome to the outfit!

That is quite a collection that you found in the cab corner pockets. That pull tab seems to be circa somewhere between 1963 and 1975. I couldn't find any definite end date - and I think there may even still be some specialty cans still made that way. But it looks old (and cool) to me. The tax free cigs tell the story though about how things used to be. Really neat finds!

I have no skills when it comes to painting. I can use a rattlecan pretty well but that is about the best I got. Still, I have to watch and look and every now and again learn something new. :)

Try and keep us up to date with your latest fixes and again -- Welcome to the group.
I appreciate it. Glad to be here! I’ve dabbled in body work on and off since I was a teen. I’ve painted base/clear several times, but this Gillespie paint acts differently. It seems so thick, but trying to get it to lay the way I’m used to painting made it run in a few places. I’ll get it figured out and dialed in.

Thanks again for having me. I’ve always had an appreciation for MVs. Ive owned a M880 one time, but sold it. Ive taken a fancy to the CUCV-II’s. I know they aren’t as plentiful as the CUCV, and I want the rarest of them all.. the suburban. Me and Andrew has talked about it, and I’ve got a 1997 K2500 Suburban that I’m going to clone to a CUCV-II. That’ll be the next project I do, after we get his truck done.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I appreciate it. Glad to be here! I’ve dabbled in body work on and off since I was a teen. I’ve painted base/clear several times, but this Gillespie paint acts differently. It seems so thick, but trying to get it to lay the way I’m used to painting made it run in a few places. I’ll get it figured out and dialed in.

Thanks again for having me. I’ve always had an appreciation for MVs. Ive owned a M880 one time, but sold it. Ive taken a fancy to the CUCV-II’s. I know they aren’t as plentiful as the CUCV, and I want the rarest of them all.. the suburban. Me and Andrew has talked about it, and I’ve got a 1997 K2500 Suburban that I’m going to clone to a CUCV-II. That’ll be the next project I do, after we get his truck done.
I have watched a few of the guys spray the Gillespie cut with something or another. Still, even cut pretty harshly, it almost acts like spraying pudding. Yeah, I have seen several really good looking Blazers and Suburban style bodies. They look pretty sharp in my mind! Keep up the good work and thanks for the extra pics you posted a bit ago. That drivers side shot looks pretty amazing to me.

Last edited:

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have watched a few of the guys spray the Gillespie cut with something or another. Still, even cut pretty harshly, it almost acts like spraying pudding. Yeah, I have seen several really good looking Blazers and Suburban style bodies. They look pretty sharp in my mind! Keep up the good work and thanks for the extra pics you posted a bid ago. That drivers side shot looks pretty amazing to me.
This paint is the kind that has to cut with xylene, but I’m afraid if I cut it it’ll run worse. I appreciate the kind words. I’m going to go back and fix some of the dings in the bed, and that place I missed in the door. It drives me crazy because, I’m my own worst critic. Either way we’ll get it ironed out. I’ve just got to do a better job of documentation things. I don’t even have any pictures of the passenger side corner.

LT67

I see yer in Buchanan, Ga..... yer just on the north side of I-20 from me. Not many CUCV's around here.

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see yer in Buchanan, Ga..... yer just on the north side of I-20 from me. Not many CUCV's around here.
Yes sir. Been in Buchanan since I was born. This CUCV belongs to another Buchanan resident on here. PATracy(Andrew) is the owner.

I’d love to have a M1009, but I’ve taken a liking to the CUCV-IIs. As I was telling the other fellow, Once I get his truck done, I’ve got a ‘97 K2500 Suburban I’m going to clone. I love the look of the suburbans but they are the rarest to find from what I’ve gathered.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This paint is the kind that has to cut with xylene, but I’m afraid if I cut it it’ll run worse. I appreciate the kind words. I’m going to go back and fix some of the dings in the bed, and that place I missed in the door. It drives me crazy because, I’m my own worst critic. Either way we’ll get it ironed out. I’ve just got to do a better job of documentation things. I don’t even have any pictures of the passenger side corner.
See... There you go. I was thinking Acetone rather than Xylene.
It all sounds the same to me and that's why I am not a painter!

A nice acetone rubdown before I do any painting seems to have greatly improved my results though. All the grease and things that make paint bubble were solved that way. Again, rattlecan but it does hold back the rust!

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See... There you go. I was thinking Acetone rather than Xylene.
It all sounds the same to me and that's why I am not a painter!

A nice acetone rubdown before I do any painting seems to have greatly improved my results though. All the grease and things that make paint bubble were solved that way. Again, rattlecan but it does hold back the rust!
Acetone works, as well as 90% alcohol for a pre-cleaner. Anything to get oils, grease or wax off before paint. For the pre-cleaner, I use Wax and Grease remover. It all we ever used in the body shop and it works good. I’ve seen some pretty good Rattle can jobs. The key is good prep work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks