• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing Smokey

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looking at that pic now, I think I'm going to use my "lift" to tweak that bumper back into position...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got the lift done. A tad bouncy-er than stock, but hopefully that'll mellow down with the larger/heavier tires. Steering is fine. I do need to clearance the front driveshaft CV a little more. I'm going to leave the t-case crossmember at the stock height. The rear driveshaft is fine. I extended the bracket for the rear brake hose/lever.

Trying to decide the path to take next, bodywork and paint. Or I might install the turbo setup and pull the exhaust. I do have a front brushguard to swap on as well. Just need to pick up some paint for it.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to hold off on the turbo for a few days, about to order all the gaskets I'll need. I've got to head up to the warehouse to pick up the humvee wheels/tires this weekend. It'd be easier to drive it up there and back. But I did manage to paint and install the brushguard. Seems the shackle I picked up doesn't mount onto the side that is missing. I think I can just simply re-drill the holes though.

Attachments

edpdx

Dude, you need one of these:

smokf.jpg
Found under the rear seat on a 72 cougar while scrounging up a seat belt at the wrecking yard.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the thought of the blown alky injected big block. Might be able to scare up an 8.3 Arias out of an old boat if you like. Not alot of them left you know.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I ended up using a set of 8 bolt wheels and 36's we had laying around. I had picked up a set of billet spacers for the front. I'm not keen on the tracking of the rear. I'm probably going to pick up a set of spacers for the rear.

It rides great!

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
More progress....

Turbo system installed! All diesels need turbos! I find myself backing off it now. :shock:

Doghead mod to go. Need to build an exhaust system as well. Also the replacement panels are in and I've got a better hood to install. Next is bodywork and paint.

Edit, was going to post pics, but my phone didn't save them. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

Nice you went with a gm turbo right?
Can you feel the "choke" over 2500 rpms that i am always reading about?

How much did you turn the fuel up?

Cant wait for pictures

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice you went with a gm turbo right?
Can you feel the "choke" over 2500 rpms that i am always reading about?

How much did you turn the fuel up?

Cant wait for pictures

It has improved off the line, but not leaps and bounds. It does "light" after 2K rpm. Then it's hang on time. The turbo setup is off a later model chevy. It has a heath diesel "turbo master" on the wastegate.

I turned up the fuel a hair over 1/4 turn.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That power sucking 400 turbo is some of the problem. A built 700 with the 3.06 low and a lockup converter will really wake it up.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll probably play around with the vaccum modulator and throttle valve to "tune" the transmission a bit. But I have no plans on swapping the transmission anytime soon.

It's kinda embarrassing when I think about it. The transmission in my Dodge (Ram with a "healthy" 5.9 cummins) has more money/billet parts in it than I have in this entire truck. :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks