• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing Smokey

998Junkie

My reading comprehension isn't too good at this time of the night and beverage count, but I didn't see what type of turbo you went with.

I'm mostly happy with my truck but a turbo would be a nice upgrade to plan for.:drool:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok folks here's some pics and since I made you wait, a video!

Got a 4' section of 3" pipe and a 3" glasspack from summit racing today for the exhaust. I had a few various bends left laying around I used to make the tip and a bend at the front. I dumped the exhaust in front of the passenger rear tire.

I also took a scrap of header wrap and tucked it between the injectors and turbo manifold as I don't like how close they are.

I bought new battery straps from advance auto parts and one of them already broke. Stupid made in china junk...

I also bought a hitch from amazon since mine was missing. $20 shipped is a great deal! [thumbzup]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXVO6Bdync[/media]

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, not bad for a converted gasser! LOL. Quick question or three. Were you able to leave the alternators in place without mods? How about the battery tray? Was anything in the way? CDR???

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's better than before, but the dodge will still eat it alive. Even if I have the trailer hooked up to the Dodge :driver:

Alternators are in the same place, wiring harness on the engine is unchanged, just had to extend the glow plug wires.

2nd battery tray has to go. Used a civy diesel driver's side battery tray. Also ditched the CUCV rad. overflow tank and installed an aftermarket one the passenger side. Had to route heavy power cables around the firewall to the other battery as well. CDR gets tossed. I just plugged the breather vent hose into the intake tube for the turbo.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Still need to install the DH relay as well. Have a lead on replacement fan shrouds as well. I've got a output shaft seal to install in the t-case front driveshaft. I also have a spacer to install as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry didn't snag a pic of it. I'll try to get one tomorrow. It's just a stock 6.5 downpipe. I cut the inner fender to allow it to pass over the frame. My exhaust runs outside the frame now under the body.

dan2002dd

You've put a lot of work in that truck. It looks good. I thought it was just going to be a parts truck when I bought it. I needed the tailgate, so I took it and then decided to see if it would run. What did you have to do to stop the smoking?

deepseeman

patracy,
just installed a 6.5 on my 6.2 today. man, that passenger manifold is close to the frame rails, glow plugs and injectors. I would also like to see a pic of how you ran your down pipe and cross over. the crossover I got doesnt fit and supposedly it came off a 6.2.

Patracy..

I've had almost all the parts laying around for my setup, going on 2 years... just havent found the need yet... ( with a 203/doubler... lack of power trailing riding, hasnt been a big problem yet... ) But.. Now after listening to yours in your video... i'm starting to rethink things.... ( Curse the YouTube.!!!! .....lol )

Any more pictures and details of your setup, turbo, Exhaust routing.. would be Greatly appreicated..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well it's been a while since I've done anything with Smokey. But yesterday it got a few upgrades. I ditched the 8 bolt wheels for a set of 24 bolt wheels. Also ditched the 36" bias plys for some 37" radial MT's.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah Reese likes to sit under my truck for some reason. Nice cool carport, doghouse in the shade, or even inside the house when he's minding. Nope, he'd rather sit under the truck on the dirt/rocks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also have to say, the truck is totally different now to drive. It's actually enjoyable. The 36" bias ply tires beat you to death. These ride great up till about 70mph. Yes. 70mph is now 3K rpm. I don't think I'm even going to bother with the trans swap now. 60mph is now 2500rpm.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Found a nail in a tire and plugged it. The truck is setup with the factory rake still. I'm thinking about added zero rates to the front. That would level it and make the steering a little happier. (S link)

Cv0lv0g0

I've just been creeping around on this site for awhile. I've been thinking of a m1008 when I get back from bootcamp and this truck is actually the way I wanted to go except I was thinking od green bedliner for paint job. I can't wait to see how your truck turns out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks