• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introducing Smokey

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The plan is woodland camo for it. I normally just 383 stuff and leave it at that. But I'm thinking woodland camo to put it back "right". Also thinking about stenciling it up with my Dad's unit when he was in the army.
Sounds like a pretty good plan! Strange how it works. 383 is good enough for a lot of things. My M-936 is that way and I have been pretty happy with it. Got a hard top for it than arrived in 3-Color and it is going to have to go green soon!

Funny how things work around here... I always assumed that you were an armor guy because of your Ferret. (Duh). Looks like you will have a nice green truck to drive around soon!

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had two pieces of armor so far. Lotta other stuff though. Too much stuff?

I could probably move a couple of trailers and the wrecker from my house and stash them over at @Spot_ll 's place. Mrs. Spot_II would be thrilled!
Yea, the wife wouldn’t be thrilled at all. You’d have to donate that communication shelter to me to live in most likely. I’m hoping when I get the suburban done, she’ll come around and a trailer shows up. I think here biggest gripe is having to pay insurance on so many vehicles. Guess I’ll need to look at a fleet policy…😁

LT67

The plan is woodland camo for it. I normally just 383 stuff and leave it at that. But I'm thinking woodland camo to put it back "right". Also thinking about stenciling it up with my Dad's unit when he was in the army.
Just to get it scratched up rolling through the non maintained county dirt roads in Treat Mtn... 😆😂

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to get it scratched up rolling through the non maintained county dirt roads in Treat Mtn... 😆😂
funny you mention Treat Mtn, most of that is a WMA now. Big fines(and whatever else the DNR can charge) if caught up there were all the riding went on. They put a stop to folks going up there.

LT67

funny you mention Treat Mtn, most of that is a WMA now. Big fines(and whatever else the DNR can charge) if caught up there were all the riding went on. They put a stop to folks going up there.
Yes I am well aware.... the rangers in the Talladega Forest are doing the same thing with anyone going off of the county dirt roads

As long anyone stays on the county roads that show up on gps, it's good to go.

Btw, ever been swimming in Frog Pond along cr 202 in Ala?😂

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I am well aware.... the rangers in the Talladega Forest are doing the same thing with anyone going off of the county dirt roads

As long anyone stays on the county roads that show up on gps, it's good to go.

Btw, ever been swimming in Frog Pond along cr 202 in Ala?😂
My understanding the WMA took over all the dirt roads that went anywhere thru the old timber company they made the WMA on the GA side of Treat. In my youth I personally didn’t go swimming in the frog pond, but some buddies trucks I knew did. In my teenage years I’ve had a 4WD back there a good bit. On some of the bogged out roads. In my younger dumber days, when I bury a daily driven Squarebody on Saturday night, and spend all day Sunday drain the water out of diffs, repacking hubs, and all the other maintenance required to drive it back and forth to school and work the next week.. I gave all that up when the cost/work started out weighing the fun. 😁

LT67

My understanding the WMA took over all the dirt roads that went anywhere thru the old timber company they made the WMA on the GA side of Treat. In my youth I personally didn’t go swimming in the frog pond, but some buddies trucks I knew did. In my teenage years I’ve had a 4WD back there a good bit. On some of the bogged out roads. In my younger dumber days, when I bury a daily driven Squarebody on Saturday night, and spend all day Sunday drain the water out of diffs, repacking hubs, and all the other maintenance required to drive it back and forth to school and work the next week.. I gave all that up when the cost/work started out weighing the fun. 😁
There is a unmaintained county road that goes westbound through the WMA and into Ala. The rangers cannot fine anyone for being on a county road. Rule of thumb; if it shows up on gps, you're safe.

On the far northern end of Treat Mtn road there used to be what looked like a big ole puddle. Nope. That was a mud hole that my truck just sunk down into. I was able to get out, but it took a few back n forths to do it. When I went back through there earlier this year, the county had filled in the mud hole with gravel and graded the road. Just wondering who drove through there in a car and got submerged and forced the county to fix it.... lol

I have been told by a few that there is an old cemetery hidden in the woods on the Ga side of Treat Mtn. I've never been able to find it though....

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I finally got around to fixing a few minor places on the initial walk around @patracy did. Got everything blocked, and wet sanded with dawn/water/scotchbrite, and 2 coats of the Gillespie 383 base sprayed on. It isn’t frame off restoration perfect, but it’s a lot better than it was. I’ll probably let it dry tonight, and get the pattern marked off with a pencil and spray the brown and black tomorrow.

Attachments

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@patracy came by and we got the woodland pattern laid out and sprayed. we followed the layout diagram for the most part, with a little creative artistry on the shapes of the brown and black. I think it turned out pretty good. Now to tidy up some of the interior wants on this beauty, and Andrew can have it back.

Attachments

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few things done for @patracy today. Got a tach mounted on the column, boost gauge for the turbo mounted beside the 24v gauge, and built up a radio harness, cut the dash (had a hard time cutting a factory uncut dash. Goes against my love for keeping the civilian trucks original), installed radio and speakers, windshield mounted antenna, and I sourced him a dash pad that wasn’t as roasted as the original and glued a carpet cover on with headliner glue.. the next thing to do is install the 60/40 bench from a GMT400, to replace the torn up factory bench(chunk of foam missing from drivers side), and hopefully add a little comfort. We also updated the 194 bulbs in the cluster to LED, so now maybe the fuel gauge and speedometer is visible at night.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's had a busted up dash, gauges with no backlights, and some lazy gauge install since I've had it. :patracy:

Now it even has a radio!!!!

Wonder if you can install AC and a 4l80e.....

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's had a busted up dash, gauges with no backlights, and some lazy gauge install since I've had it. :patracy:

Now it even has a radio!!!!

Wonder if you can install AC and a 4l80e.....
4L80e is doable. A/C is too, if you sacrifice 24V..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think I can give up my mobile jump box for the fleet. rofl
Also that'd make my 24v winch on the gooseneck useless. Maybe there's another way to add AC and keep the 24v setup. The M1010's I know had AC. But I think they had a 24v alternator and maybe a voltage divider or something?

I need to check with that guy on that 4l80e.

LT67

I don't think I can give up my mobile jump box for the fleet. rofl
Also that'd make my 24v winch on the gooseneck useless. Maybe there's another way to add AC and keep the 24v setup. The M1010's I know had AC. But I think they had a 24v alternator and maybe a voltage divider or something?

I need to check with that guy on that 4l80e.
If I remember correctly, Vintage Air has a 24v AC kit

LT67

It's actually a VPA; voluntary public access. The state does not own the land. The timber companies still own the land. The rangers still have jurisdiction over the VPA

Spot_ll

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few things done today in between rain showers. Got the 60/40 seat from a 95-99 GMT400 body Chevrolet put in. Had to remove the seat tracks, and replace them with a set of tracks I had from a set of 81-91 Suburban front buckets. The buckets were junk, but I had already modified the tracks to fit the cab of a Squarebody years ago in my personal truck. It was just a matter of installing them to the seat frames of the 60/40, making a couple of mounting tabs for the center two tracks, and bolting them in. To me, for a truck @patracy plans to drive, this is a more comfortable seat than the orginal bench.

I’ve still got to paint the jams/inside of the doors where the Sheriffs Dept that had it painted them white, and change out a few other worn out odd and ends, and as much as I hate it this thing wil be ready to go back home, since I can’t talk him into selling it to me 😁.

9CBB0C9F-EF3D-4E5E-BB7F-FA30252DC9D0.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks