• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hobart Welder Quality?

I am thinking about buying a welder. I want to purchase a Hobart 140 (Mig) but am not sure about there quality, every one I talk to says get a miller but I don't have the extra funds for that right now or will in a long time. I would only be using it for some small fabrication work but nothing big. It will be just a hobby welder. So I would like your opinion on Hobart welders. Thanks For your input.

EDIT: (for additional info) A 220V welder is out of my price range right now but later I will be buying a stick welder for heaver use.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are US made and they are owned by the same company that owns Miller. They are built up the road from me here in Ohio. If you were looking at a commercial grade I'd say go with Miller but for what you want go with the Hobart. If you just want to play to see if you MIG to begin with just get a Northern Tool or Harbor Freight welder.

But buy the US and you will be satisfied.

IMHO

zout

Hobart - you cannot go wrong
Miller -second choice on my book - But I did get one

watch if continous duty or cycle. You will not be disappointed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Makes no difference. Don't make the mistake I made, buy a 220v model. I have a 110 and can't wait for a 220 one.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 110 doesn't have enough heat to weld thick steel. Sure, you could do it in multiple layers with the right bevel, but why waste all that time? 220 is the only way to go(imho).

197thhhc

Gimp is right a 220v welder will do more. If you are just doing lighter stuff then a 110v unit is fine. Miller and Hobart are the same company. They used to be seperate.

I think the most important is to get a mig that uses gas shielded wire or flux core. It should have the ability to hook an argon mix tank to it. This makes a much nicer looking weld with less splatter than flux core. The flux core is more convienient when you need to weld in the field. You dont have to drag a tank along. Just my 2cents

scoutmanadam

how thick of stuff do you need to weld, if you can get buy with a smaller unit, you can always preheat thicker stuff to help with penetration as long as your not trying to go to thick, like twice what the machine says it would do

Katahdin

I don't have any experience with Hobarts but that's what brand of wire and tips my Miller 211 uses. It hurt a little $$ to purchase the 211 but I like the versatility of being able to use 110 and 220.

That said, however, I move my 211 between my concrete basement and detached garage and wish it could be 20lbs lighter like the Hobart 140. If I see one for a steal somewhere I'd be tempted to buy it.

Last edited:

stampy

We use a Hobart welder 220v at work and it is great! Easy to use with multiple settings. I agree with going with 220 after all you have an electric drier plug right? The flux core wire is easy to use I didn't like using the gas.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've welded with Hobart welders for many years and never had an issue. I currently have a Handler 187 with argon and it is great. Definitely get a 220V model. I've never used a Miller, but I know a lot of people that swear by Miller as well.

Ridgerunner

For garage hobby/personal use, the Hobart machine you picked out will suit you fine. All my machines are Miller. Hobart is also quality welder, that I wouldn't shy away from.

quickfarms

I bought a lincoln almost 20 years ago when they first came out with the 220 volt unit

When you look at the 110 volt units check the amperage requirements, some are 25 amps

Also check the duty cycle. In the old days welders were marketed at there duty rating now I have seen a lot that are advertised at their max amperage

A 110 volt unit is good for sheet metal

The 220 volt hobby units can weld 3/16 or 1/4 in a single pass

ODdave

I have a lincoln 175, a lincoln 255c, a miller syncrowave 200 at home and a small hobart at work. Personaly I like red & blue better, But they all seem to work fine.

My suggestion, What color do you like best? Red, White or Blue?

truck1

I've owned and used with great success a Lincoln SP250.It uses Argon/CO2 as a shielding gas and is about 15 years old.It will weld aluminum,stainless,mild steel.I agree with the versatility of a 220V machine.I have a 65' extension cord for limited mobility.I would like to have both 110 and 220,but if you are limited to 1 machine I prefer the higher voltage unit.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have said, the Hobart and Miller welders are great. For daily and heavier use the 240v welders are much better. If it is for occasional use and nothing over 1/4" [and that is stretching it] a 120vac welder will work fine.

I watched CL and bought a Lincoln 120vac welder for home use and it works great. I think I paid about $150 for it used in great condition. I had to watch for a while to get that price. I already had a CO2 bottle from my kegerator so I was set.

derby

I agree with the 220 volt unit. I have used a couple different brands that were 110 volt and was disappointed with the performance of the Century but somewhat pleased with the Lincoln SP110? I found that after welding for awhile they both would shut down on overload to cool down.
The Hobart unit looks to be a good unit I had contemplated purchasing one before buying My Lincoln216 but there was only a small price difference and the Lincoln came with a Spool Gun.

May I ask what are you going to do with it? I have found that My old Lincoln 225 Stick machine is very versatile and with the right rod and a little practice will produce a strong weld that sometimes even looks good! You could likley pick one up used for $50-100

My point, don't spend a dime until you ask yourself truthfully what you would use it for and if an old stick machine will do the job.

It took me 12 years to decide to spend the money on the Lincoln216 it is still in the box and I have used the stick machine several times since purchasing the Mig.

deuceman51

I've got a barely used Hobart 135(earlier model number) for sale if anyones interested. It only has about 10 hours on it. Only selling it because I got a commercial Lincoln for my shop and I don't need this on. PM me if anyones interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks