• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker wishlist of mods

AZORRAT

Another Option instead of making the bed removable, would be to copy the 5th wheel capability of the m819. Thinking that might be easier to accomplish. So basically take Zebedee's wheelbase stretch idea

View attachment 665005

Relocate the rear winch to just behind the cab and using rollers to guide the cable out past the crane/bed. Then installing a 5th wheel plate where the rear winch was, similar to the back of this m819.

View attachment 665006

Input is greatly appreciated as to which idea would be better to go with and why.
Hey Red. Where did you get the picture of this M816?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was me playing with the original image, as I did for the 4x4, the 10x10 etc. Just a computer concept developing my 'Photoshop' skills.

AZORRAT

What is your guys thoughts on adding an additional clutch depress air pack lever near the front winch so you can operate the front winch outside the cab. My M275 has the air brake handle on the steering column I was going to try. It’s very similar to the Wrecker valve, pressurizes on one way and dumps the other. An additional throttle would be nice also.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Use to fly these in the AF. 42000 lbs (upgrade to 50k later) of pick it up and set it down where ever you want. Miss those days. (That was for the picture of the HH53 Sikorsky Super Jolly Green Giant)
Oh, Man, sure would love to see THAT pic:

- For some reason not all the pics are visible (or open when you click).

Aw, shoot...

Csm Davis

What is your guys thoughts on adding an additional clutch depress air pack lever near the front winch so you can operate the front winch outside the cab. My M275 has the air brake handle on the steering column I was going to try. It’s very similar to the Wrecker valve, pressurizes on one way and dumps the other. An additional throttle would be nice also.
According to which wrecker you have would make it easier to use by yourself but on 936 would be easier to go remotely activated like Profo has on his truck.

Rescue101

According to which wrecker you have would make it easier to use by yourself but on 936 would be easier to go remotely activated like Profo has on his truck.
Jeff, Happy new year ! Can you point me to that thread? A remote for the 936 front winch intrigues me and would be Handy for MY application. Thanks ! T.C.

Csm Davis

Jeff, Happy new year ! Can you point me to that thread? A remote for the 936 front winch intrigues me and would be Handy for MY application. Thanks ! T.C.
No thread just know he has one! Pretty sure any two button remote will work then just add a pair of electric solenoids to the hydraulic lines and bobs your Uncle!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OFFROADRESCUE

I have an XM816 and kinda funny thing I noticed while at the rear controls, the clutch depress lever actually is an air brake handle from a tractor. I guess I answered my own question.

Another Ahab

I have an XM816 and kinda funny thing I noticed while at the rear controls, the clutch depress lever actually is an air brake handle from a tractor. I guess I answered my own question.
That's a bonus:

- No payment for any consulting fee!

You're already winning. This project is off to a GREAT start!!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground Anchors.jpg

Fresh in off the boat from Australia via CA. Cast ground anchors, pins and shackles. Need to locate 6 more shackles to complete these 5 sets, then get the remaining 3 sets that I have located in the UK shipped over.

Not exactly a "5 Ton Mod" as all RAEME M816's carried 8 sets of ground anchors, but the stowage of the anchors was loose in the bed or locker. I 'll be fab'ing a lift crate that will stow in the passenger side locker, that can carry all 8 plates and 64 pins. Then they can be picked out by the crane and dropped on the ground and similarly returned without all that 'hand balling'. Don't want to scuff the new paint too much - when it gets done eh!

I had considered some kind of bracket behind the front bumper - a-la the British army's AEC Matador wrecker of the '60's, would be good counter weight, but I think that space will be utilised for the Australian water Jerry cans I have also acquired.

NB. Earlier US wreckers had ground anchors (different type) as Bii but somehow that got dropped. Still seen in the -22 manual.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

View attachment 800609

Fresh in off the boat from Australia via CA. Cast ground anchors, pins and shackles. Need to locate 6 more shackles to complete these 5 sets, then get the remaining 3 sets that I have located in the UK shipped over.
Whoa! That is some serious hardware. Nice.

How "in the name of Sam Hill" would you ever pull those anchor pins OUT of the ground, after driving them in?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks