• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker wishlist of mods

Csm Davis

So here's my list make the operators gondola about six inches narrower so you can get in and out easier maybe cut off seat area completely and just have a standing platform? Would love full remote controller. A underlift of some type. A manual transmission in a 936. A 400 cummins. A four door cabover:shock: thanks Wreckerman aua this is just a few

Andy1234

If money (and time) were no object:
  • 600 hp Cummins ISX w/ an Allison push button od trans
  • full wireless remote for the boom
  • hydraulic winches front and rear w/ wireless remote control
  • air cushion seats
  • side accessible tool storage
  • integrated towbar and/or hydraulic underlift
  • hydraulic outriggers
  • air conditioning
  • a working heater
  • a bigger vise
  • magic self-filling fuel tanks (and a self-filling bank account)
  • blonde, brunette and redhead "assistants" :D
  • and on, and on, and on...

All mounted on an M916 chassis!

Andy

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I would love to retrofit my m816 to full air brakes........ Also, I wouldn't mind rigging the crane hydraulics to a pony motor (if that can even be done reasonably) to save wear and tear on the engine.........

The remote control idea sounds great too.....

Ziggy

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hello all,
I would love to retrofit my m816 to full air brakes........ Also, I wouldn't mind rigging the crane hydraulics to a pony motor (if that can even be done reasonably) to save wear and tear on the engine.........
The remote control idea sounds great too.....
Ziggy
This was done with a 543 bed set on a 125 , the 543 bed is the same as 816

joeM62

I was told by the guy that runs a tow company he said you can get a hydraulic wheel lift that would fit the 5ton wrecker for $1,500 at the time I didn't think much about it at the time when I used to have the wrecker but now I wish I had heard on to it.

deuceman51

Tossed around the idea of upgrading the rear winch and crane drive to hydraulic motors and running a PTO off the T/C. I'm not a fan of all linkages, gearboxes, driveshafts, and shear pins. Basically upgrading it to an M939 series wrecker body.

sandcobra164

Oshkosh MK 36 MTVR Wrecker has

Cat C-12 with 425HP, 1250LB FT
Cable connected remote, 1 for MHC Crane and outriggers, 1 for Rear Spade and retrieval winches.
Auto Trans for those that like it.
Jake Brake with Low, Medium and High Settings.
CTIS that works.
Air Ride Driver's seat.
65 MPH at 2100 RPM.
Whiffle Tree integral to truck.
Lockable Transfer, intra and inter axle diffs.
Back up manual valves for all hydraulic functions in the event the electronics fail.
Storage boxes everywhere!!!
Built by Oshkosh is always a plus with me, the same guys that built the HEMMT M984 better known as the Wrecker built with God's Approval!!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like a removable rear sling.

Maybe a removable hydraulic rear winch on the 5th wheel(M819).

Underbed storage boxes.

Turbo Encabulator - YouTube

Welder Sam

easier bed access... guess that could be accomplished by losing 100+lbs tho...underbed boxes would be nice.. bed side wall towbar mount? a title would be real nice. trying to figure out how to tag it too

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks