• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker wishlist of mods

jesusgatos

Think it's been pretty well-understood for a long time that the front axles on the deuces and 5-tons are close to being overloaded when you add winches to the front of these trucks. Dunno how conservative those ratings are, but that's how the numbers add-up.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would say as far a deuce front axles go, yes on the capacity being close to being maxed out with a front winch, I have to disagree on the 5t front axles, these axles were used on everything, cranes, grade alls, drill rigs, and other heavy front loads, if these can not be used as a brush fire truck, someone had better tell ALL the water truck owners or the loggers, these guys will over load to just before the breaking point. These axles were used every day in the CIVI world back when these trucks were first designed (39 series), since the axles ARE THE SAME in the 809 and the 939 series trucks, these WERE the heavy duty front axle of the day, I really do not see to much to worry about, my front axle survived a very hard landing when I got my m819 wings, so hard that my front motor mount about got ripped from the front gear cover.

Csm Davis

Also IF 10,000 lbs is max weight on the front end that is not the same as the weight of the front end on a scale the sprung weight would need to be less than 10k the unsprung weight of the axel and tires would need to be subtracted from the total front weight. About 2500 lbs on a a1 or a2.
Also I looked up the weight that is removed from the front end during a full 20,000 suspended tow, it is right at 4,000 lbs! So I am not saying stick 2 tons of extra steel up front but maybe move most of the BII to the front during a tow anyone know how much the BII weighs? Starting to like the movable boxes idea most maybe a fair sized box for each opening behind the bumper that could pin in place.

rangereter

Whenever we scaled the steer axle on the m936's, they usually came in around 13,500 pounds. My front bumper counterweight is nearing completion. When done I will render a report with pics.
Regards, Bob

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holmes gear - lubeing spreader swivel

Rangereter, dmetalmiki etc...

I have located a scrap unit,
Caseys3.jpg(so I can stop the fab from scratch effort)
and am in the process of refurbing, but it's too corroded where the swivel tube is retained by the collar to see what was there. Is it just two holes for drops of oil or are there grease nipples recessed on the inner tube that somehow connect back to the interface? Thanks.

spreader lube.jpg

Welder Sam

Not to sound sharp bit given the indicated location and illustrated assembly, it stands to reason that those grease zerks would be for lubricating the round to rotate inside the round.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to sound sharp but given the indicated location and illustrated assembly, it stands to reason that those grease zerks would be for lubricating the round to rotate inside the round.
Yes Sam - lubrication is the purpose HOWEVER the holes on the outer collar are over 1/2" dia and are not threaded. A grease fitting, if screwed into the outer collar, would lube the inner tube BUT they would be way too vulnerable to damage unless shielded like valve stems on skidsteer/log skidder rims - which they are not. Consider that you'd be backing up to the casualty's bumper and throwing heavy chains etc., even a block of wood buffer, sandwiched between spreader/collar and bumper.
I have tried to polish the inner tube to see if there is a communication tube with recessed threadding, there looks like a corrosion ring in the right place but as yet, it appears solid with only 2 plain holes in the collar.

I'll try to get a pic later if it warms up enough for the camera!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On closer examination of the 1/2"+ holes in the collar, it is clear that they were punched/drilled in the plate before it was formed into the 'U' shape.
DSC00304.jpg Not totally obvious from pic, but definately elongated.
DSC00305.jpgSome deep pitting in the spreader tube, may have been from extended standing.

From this I am deducing the following;

Predrilled/punched thus deforming/stretching the holes as the plate bent around the mandrel. Therefore not intended to 'take' a round object otherwise it would have been drilled 'clean' after bending.

So - I am ok with the idea of simply raising the assembly vertical, holes upward, then dripping oil into the holes and thus lubeing the tube inside.
Besides, the voids on the front of the collar, between the legs of the 'U' are open to the sides so lighter oil (than grease) could be manipulated by swiveling/pivoting etc., to coat the whole tube rather than pumping grease through a zerk and it following the path of lease resistance to atmosphere, missing a lot of the interface.

Again - this is my deduction based on what I have infront of me - which is not a pristine example.

This is good - another use for the oil drip can that sits in the cupola!

Need to make a second locking pin #3 as one was missing - but the lathe is too cold at the moment....
Parts diag.jpg

Last edited:

MadCat2

Side access storage compartment, cause I have gear all over the back bed! and a place to mount my portable generator thats not in the way of the crane.

rangereter

Zebedee, I have the same/similar holes in my hoisting-bar (engineered/fabbed by me coincidentally, originally by Holmes Inc. I'm sure)... mine are plugged with 1/8th recessed pipe plugs. Once a year or so I plan on removing the plugs (looks good on paper at least), installing zerks, and 10-20 pumps later reinstalling the plugs (never underestimate the power of grease...it will usually end up where you need it!). I do a fair amount of business with Casey's...last year I called Paul to locate an old 750/850 body and he did not have one in the yard? I guess that I didn't have the secret handshake. Could have saved about 24-32hours.
Regards, Bob

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.........I do a fair amount of business with Casey's...last year I called Paul to locate an old 750/850 body and he did not have one in the yard? I guess that I didn't have the secret handshake. Could have saved about 24-32hours.
Regards, Bob
Yeah - Paul is a good egg. No secret hand shake here. I don't think that truck had an 750 or 850 body. Looks like a special that may have been fab'd from various parts - certainly doesn't have the twin booms.
Apparently the whole rear of the truck was a 3/4" plate, which is not std, equally, a single rear axle is not 750/850 either.

Re 'greasing your pole' the plugs you use, they must stick out a bit? - do you block/pack the cross tube, off of the casualties?

rangereter

I should have said that I had called for a hoisting bar and extension leg assembly off of a wrecker body...not the crane portion. The bar grease plugs are 1/8th pipe recessed "allen" style (about a 1/4" long) and set flush with the tube. External plugs or zerks would be a definite concern as the bar tube rotates as it is raised and lowered. I carry several old mud flaps to cushion between the bar and bumper or crossmember. I have seen tires used for cushion and some with 2x6 lumber in between...whatever is handy I guess.
Regards, Bob

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure would be nice to find one of those.
Ron - would it be any help to have a full set of fab drawings and a cutting list?
I have all the parts stripped down so I could measure everything if you have all the necessary shop equip/steel stock etc...

I have already reman'd one of the spring locking pins, need to turn up some knobs next and find the right spring.

dmetalmiki

Zebedee in answer to your question our m62 does not have that bar..but does have holmes gear on the rear. it's not referred to as a speader bar but it does the same job seemingly and is lubed by oil can. there bieng no grease nipples. you can see our gear in the post on this thread somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks