• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody recognize this "Pickle" Forklift?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, Case M4K. Case still supports this unit, even though they are getting old. They are designed to stuff and unstuff ISO containers. I want one but they always sell for upwards of $3000 here.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that's a little bit of info I didn't expect. A research station in the middle of nowhere on a barren ice cube of a continent has a gift shop. Why? Get many tourists there?

Oh, and BTW - if the gift shop is not for tourists, but for those stationed there, it's not a gift shop. They used to call it the PX.

greenjeepster

It isn't a Post Exchange because McMurdo, Antarctica isn't a military installation. It is operated by the National Science Foundation.

I believe it has a population of about 1000 season residence so a gift shop would be sustainable... These people are only there for a few months a year and then head home...bearing gifts for their loved ones who missed them.

So why are we nitpicking the definition of gift shop?

shenkmen

It isn't a Post Exchange because McMurdo, Antarctica isn't a military installation. It is operated by the National Science Foundation.

I believe it has a population of about 1000 season residence so a gift shop would be sustainable... These people are only there for a few months a year and then head home...bearing gifts for their loved ones who missed them.

So why are we nitpicking the definition of gift shop?
Oh boy. I'm joking. Not nitpicking. The only things I can think of that would be made in Antartica are penguins and snow. Picture that gift shop!

Now lets get back to those sweet fork lifts...

Janes has some info on these - Case rough-terrain forklift trucks (United States) - Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics

Here is the 24P - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uor-xOWm8GpZjnjgA&sig2=R3d2B2S10mnZ_-VKN2WkoA

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That looks like the 4000 pound rough terrain forklifts we used when I was in an Ordnance unit at Fort Benning.

In the main ammo dump they used the civy type warehouse type forklifts....when we went out in the field and set up a simulated ammo dump they used 4000, 6000 and 10,000 pound rough terrain forklifts.

Its really like a general store, they sell gifts like t-shirts, hoodies, stickers, charms, pins, maps, books. But they also sell staples like personal hygiene products, OTC Medicine, junk food, alcohol, soda, cigarettes, dip, etc. They don't serve soda in the dinning room so if you want any kind of soda you have to buy it. The same with alcohol. They also have a huge DVD collection you can borrow movies from.

The only other shop is at Scott Base which is the New Zealanders A.K.A. The Kiwi's.

If anyone wants some tshirts ill see if i can get a price on them.

Last edited:
Ok Ill check out the prices. By the way if anyone is interested I only have till February 3rd to get stuff mailed back via aircraft. After that all the mail will go via cargo vessel and it wont be here till February 16th and probably wont be back in the states until end of March.

armytruck63

I would also love an XL T-shirt. I have been an Arctic/Antarctic junkie for years.

Don't get in trouble doing this...

Please let us know where to send $$.
Thanks!:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks