• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a Huey UH-1B today

DoctorCheney223

I will get some better photos posted up tomorrow but we finished the OD paint job on the Huey today. Also, we had the Huey incorporated into our logo.

As for the swap meet/military vehicle show, I don't know of any other MV owners in the Las Vegas area. I would love to do something like that because we just got notice that we are now able acquire the other 2.2 acres right next to us.

thanks,
Ron

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to visit Battlefield Vegas today to pick up some M35 parts they wanted gone, and peruse Ron's tank farm.

Helicopters in background:

20160512_BFV_01k.jpg

BFV's new M60A1:

20160512_BFV_01c.jpg 20160512_BFV_01b.jpg

M1 Abrams clone on Centurion/Chieftan chassis, used to crush cars:

20160512_BFV_01d.jpg 20160512_BFV_01e.jpg 20160512_BFV_01f.jpg

Ontos!

20160512_BFV_01g.jpg

Misc armor & vehicles, a small selection Ron has here:

20160512_BFV_01h.jpg 20160512_BFV_01i.jpg 20160512_BFV_01j.jpg 20160512_BFV_01a.jpg

20160512_BFV_01.jpg

richingalveston

Going to be a nice place, next time I am in vegas I will stop in.

I wish I could get a Huey for my dad to fix. His dream was to get one some day and have it for personal use. He was a crew chief for a repair group stationed in Germany. He got to fly everyone of the ones he and his guys repaired before sending it back in to action in Vietnam.

We started our fixed wing license to eventually get our helicopter license when I turned 16, six months later he had to have a quad-bypass surgery (he was 39 at the time). So his dream switched from being able to fly one to just getting one to teach me how to fix it and fly.

He is 72 now and has a heart pump. but he would guarantee right now he could still get one to fly.

good luck with your place,
Rich

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch, looks like that M60A1 is missing a little something from the glacis plate. Whats the story?

The "Ontos" in the 7th photo is an M56 Scorpion. Early versions of the Ontos shared parts of the M56 running gear, but it's a different vehicle entirely. The Ontos is more well known, but the M56 is a very cool track.

Awesome collection!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch, looks like that M60A1 is missing a little something from the glacis plate. Whats the story?

The "Ontos" in the 7th photo is an M56 Scorpion. Early versions of the Ontos shared parts of the M56 running gear, but it's a different vehicle entirely. The Ontos is more well known, but the M56 is a very cool track.

Awesome collection!
Thank you for the correction!!

Ron stated on another forum that the BATFE cut out that glacis & is using it for testing purposes (ricochets, deflections, etc...). It belonged to the fellow who was killed recently when a round in his M18 detonated prematurely, and Ron hopes to get it back once the BATFE releases it. There are some really good, capable folks working at Battlefield Vegas, and they are confident that the glacis section can be rewelded with little difficulty. That M60A1 is in a really good place now.

If anyone visits Las Vegas, it really is worth your time to stop in to Battlefield Vegas for a day (at least). Lots of fun to be had, and the employees are very courteous and helpful.

Plus you can climb into the Huey to get your picture taken!!

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the clarification!!

Ron stated on another forum that the BATFE cut out that glacis & is using it for testing purposes (ricochets, deflections, etc...). It belonged to the fellow who was killed recently when a round in his M18 detonated prematurely, and Ron hopes to get it back once the BATFE releases it. There are some really good, capable folks working at Battlefield Vegas, and they are confident that the glacis section can be rewelded with little difficulty. That M60A1 is in a really good place now.

If anyone visits Las Vegas, it really is worth your time to stop in to Battlefield Vegas for a day (at least). Lots of fun to be had, and the employees are very courteous and helpful.

Plus you can climb into the Huey to get your picture taken!!
...and that's the rest of the story. An M60 in any condition is a rare piece to own. I imagine a skilled welder could cover that up with little trouble. Of course you wouldn't want to go toe to toe with any russkies, but it'll be a centerpiece to the collection.

Another Ahab

Thank you for the clarification!!

My gosh, that's an awful story.

Another Ahab

LOL I did 2 flights in them at Ft Bragg both one way. UH-1H were my 6th and 7th jumps!
Of course it might have been some low-altitude water exits...

And nobody NEEDS a 'chute to jump out of a "Huey", but if they want to jump more than once, it's a really good idea.

My guess is that you had a 'chute each of those two jumps. Is that right!?

NV555

And nobody NEEDS a 'chute to jump out of a "Huey", but if they want to jump more than once, it's a really good idea.

Yes non equipment jump MC~1 main chute. It was an entire different experience. Sitting 0n the edge of the aircraft with 4 on one side and 4 on the other was a tight squeeze . i remember not having a place to put my hand so I elbowed this LT and put a death grip on deck until I excited the aircraft. Of couse I had a weak exit and the back of my boot hit the skid causing me to dive head first until my chute opened. Which cause a huge jerk much like a car accident.

NV555

Yes non equipment jump MC~1 main chute. It was an entire different experience. Sitting 0n the edge of the aircraft with 4 on one side and 4 on the other was a tight squeeze . i remember not having a place to put my hand so I elbowed this LT and put a death grip on deck until I excited the aircraft. Of couse I had a weak exit and the back of my boot hit the skid causing me to dive head first until my chute opened. Which cause a huge jerk much like a car accident.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks