• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead relay mod not needed after July 1985 production

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this little nugget in the TM. Guess I bought the relay for nothing. Oh well spare part and saves me the little trouble of doing it. Mine was produced in 12/85

42.1. STARTER STAYS ENGAGED

NOTE
Original starter relays on vehicles prior to July 1985 production were
defective. The point gap inside was too small causing starter to stay
engaged. Vehicles produced after July 1985 and the current starter relay in
supply system have a wider point gap to correct this problem.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of a few relay failures on post 85 trucks.

Unfortunately, people have reported that they have replaced their relays with new stock AC40 and other brand relays, and still had relay failure.

What TM is that info in? Does it give a new replacement part number? If it's the same part number, how will you know which one you have?

Ultimately, it's your choice.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-2320-289-20 Not trying to be a jerkwad here, you guys are always telling me to read the TM's... :) Was scrolling through the whole TM, I have a slight oil leak, looks to be the rear seal, just stumbled across this as I was thinking of going out in the 20 degree temp to do the mod also.

GreenBull

Don't trust a blower relay to do the critical job that this starter relay performs. Regardless of the point gap the component has proven itself to be less than robust. Older engines with starting issues place additional stress on this relay. The change in the relay point gap may have made that component better but it didn't address the fact that real world usage has validated the relay is undersized for this application.

Having such a minimally sized component in unprotected circuits is a bad idea that can be easily corrected with the mod.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM9-2320-289-20 Not trying to be a jerkwad here, you guys are always telling me to read the TM's... :) Was scrolling through the whole TM, I have a slight oil leak, looks to be the rear seal, just stumbled across this as I was thinking of going out in the 20 degree temp to do the mod also.

I didn't even consider that you were not trying to be helpful.

My first thought was, "I'll be darned, this guy is reading his TMs and learning and sharing!" Rock on!

Do you know what the print date on the TM is?

I have to admit, I have not noticed this info in my TM.

Honestly, all things considered, I would replace yours with the DH mod relay, for the best security possible.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found it. Page 2-75. It's in my 1988 dated TM.

I'm afraid there is just no way to know, if you have an updated relay or not.

By design, the relay I recommend modifying to will not stick on.

GreenBull

Any relay can fail in the closed position but I agree the relay recommended in the DH modification is much less likely to fail in the closed position than the OE or a direct repllacement part.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After all that, guess I'll do it to be on the safe side anyway, LOL. Where did you guys get the ring terminals? Is there an assortment pack available? Any auto parts store have them? Thanks Doghead.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most auto stores have the terminals available in small quantities, on bubble cards.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1986 M1008 is one of the unfortunate failures. I feel better knowing that it's been changed to more durable part.

ralbelt

Why is some one always trying to disprove this modification? The original fails this is proven. When it fails it costs big bucks to repair and a few hours of labor this is true.

It must be because some can't believe such an inexpensive part can replace a part that some GM engineer designed into a $15,000.00 truck.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's more about not understanding the issue, or the modification.

You and I know first hand, what the inside of either part looks like, and we have a feel for what is happening.

Then you have the procrastination factor(we all have that to some level).

In a way, the relay issue is a lot like having faith in Jesus Christ. We are told what will happen if we don't do it, and told how to correct the problem. You personally need to take the step of faith, and then share it with others. In the end, your decision will determine your fate.

Kinda the same with this relay thing.

Sorry to get theological, but it works here.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is some one always trying to disprove this modification? The original fails this is proven. When it fails it costs big bucks to repair and a few hours of labor this is true.

It must be because some can't believe such an inexpensive part can replace a part that some GM engineer designed into a $15,000.00 truck.
I read it in the TM. That simple. With all the input I will be doing the mod anyway.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, How did I miss that for 6 months...:oops:

Warthog, Thats an Infraction if I've ever seen one!:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks