• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 recovery

goodguyzy

I went big and won a M916. It is listed as "wont start". Plan is to take the 923 and 4 charged batts+misc recovery items. If I can get the 916 started and checked out I plan on flat towing the 923 back with the 916. If I can not get the 916 started I plan on flat towing the 916 with the 923. Keep in mind that its a 250 mile one way trip with some mountain passes at 6%. Your ideas and/or concerns are appreciated.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 916 is about 2 tons heavier than the 923, so be careful in that regard. The M916 has front air brake gladhand hookups - Using them would probably be a good idea.

Keep in mind that the M916 uses the large towbar and larger pins than the M923.

Stay safe! :p

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My only suggestion is to be very careful pulling a heavier truck with a lighter one. Hooking up to the front glad hands is advisable as the other poster stated. Even this is not the complete answer as a heavier truck may push a lighter truck on turns. Also, make sure your insurance will cover you for such an operation. If you have collector insurance, you are almost certainly NOT covered for towbaring. I, for one, would get it shipped. Even at $3/mile, you're looking at $750. That is not much to avoid any confusion or problems. I wish you well if you decide to go for it, though.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did some quick math on the fuel you'll burn driving there and back. I estimate about 62 gallons, but it will probably be more because you almost certainly won't be getting 8 MPG on the return leg. However, at 8 MPG, you will spend about $225 on fuel ($3.50/gallon). So, in essence, you are saving $500 to haul your own truck out. Make sure it is worth it.

wsucougarx

Just a little side by side comparison of what you're dealing with;-). Bump the fuel cost up a little more. It's $4+/gallon for diesel. Not to mention the 5 MPG to drive your 923 up here.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Like i said in the 813 recovery thread. pull the drivelines if your going to tow the 916 just to help reduce the drag or any other issues that may be. I do like the idea of the axle hub end caps like off the 5 ton, just pulling the axles quickly and putting the covers on so only the bearings are spinning nothing else.

Anyway to borrow or rent a pintle hitch trailer and just tow the 916 on it. Or tow the 923 behind the 916 so if you have a brake down you can easily tow one another.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to towbar it, bring new gladhand gaskets. Lots of times they are in bad shape. Might be worth bringing new gladhands, you can always return them. That would give you a fix if they are bend/unuseable.

goodguyzy

Thanks for the good input. Mike I was thinking of using the 923 that Dale wants. I still have a few repairs to do though. I may just take the duramax up and tow the 916 out of the gate so I can do some wrenching if I have to. Still brainstorming or lack of brainstorming.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyway to borrow or rent a pintle hitch trailer and just tow the 916 on it.
The 923 has a pintle tow rating of 30000 lbs. The 916 weighs 27500 - You're not going to find a trailer that will hold 27500 lbs that only weighs 2500 lbs. While I'm sure the 923 can pull more than 30000 lbs, I would be worried that getting in an accident while doing so might expose a person to greater liability. I also would guess its no fun to pull 30000+ lbs with a 5 ton without weight in the bed.

Or tow the 923 behind the 916 so if you have a brake down you can easily tow one another.
I towed a 923A1 with my 916 almost 200 miles a while back.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/77359-m35a2-azs-m923a1-recovery.html

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah it is alot of weight on the back pulling down. I wasnt sure how heavy the 916 actually was. I added a GN plate to the back of my 5 ton for my big trailers to pull my excavator around 38k or so with trailer. I was only going like 3 or 4 miles though in the middle of the country. doing a whole 30mph on 5 cyls.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSXyW0EnQ0[/media]

I mean towing it behind the 923 off base wouldnt be an issue to get it to somewhere you could work on it and check it over without being rushed. Also an ecology block comes in handy on the back.

goodguyzy

Thanks again, trailering with the 923 is a good idea, I have 4 mountain passes on my route that when empty the 923 bogs down to 30mph. The part that is really scary is going back down. Im kinda like the idea of having it hauled, its not my style but im considering it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well if you got a CDL check into what it would cost to rent a lowboy and semi. The equipment rental place here rents theirs out for $200 a day + fuel. I rent one to move the logging equipment

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would have it hauled......I spent a lot of time driving just about anything the Army had with wheels on it (and a few with tracks).

You stand a good chance of (A) pulling the guts out of the 5 ton (B) running over some idiot that passes you and then slams on the brakes or pulls out in front of you (C) getting ran over by the M916.

Just my dos centavos for what their worth.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks