• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M3 Halftrack

battlecr

Christmas came early this year, got my new wiring harness from Vintage Maine yesterday! Very nice and well made! I'm really jazzed!

Don G.

battlecr

Thought I'd better catch up. I've been working on a lot of the do-dads. Rebuilt the clutch and brake pedal assembly. Had to machine new bushings and weld up and turn down the shaft. Starting to install my new wiring harness. Spent last night putting on a new CV boot. What a pain.

Enjoy the pictures

.frame 1.jpgframe 2.jpgframe 3.jpg

Don G

battlecr

Okay on to the high dollar part of the operation.:???: Oh wait it's all high dollar. Anyway Found an old school mechanic and he has the engine torn down. Do have to put in .020 over pistons. Bore taper is right at the limit. Also new intake valves but everything else is good. Just clean up and labor. Hope to have the engine, transmission/transfer case back by the end of next month. :driver:

Don G

engine 1.jpgengine 6.jpgengine 7.jpg

M215

Hey Don,
Great progress! You may want to have your engine block pressure tested before rebuilding, these old 160AX blocks are known for water jacket cracks. I'm redoing our engine this winter because of a cracked block. Our halftrack engine came with a cracked block behind the oil cooler, had this repaired during rebuild process only to have the crack reopen after one season. I'm on my third block trying to find a good one that is rebuildable.
Karl

battlecr

Hi Karl, after the engine is tanked we are going to mag the block and head. I reasonably sure my track wnt through a refurb some time in the 50's. The missmatched suspension parts give me my first clue. But after looking at the engine and seeing clean it is and how few parts I have to replace I'm pretty sure now.

I'll let my mechanic know what you've run into.

Thanks Don G.

steve1973

Made more progress on Don's halftrack. The brakes are all bled and work! He only had a few leaks. Some fitting were not tight. Today we moved his track back into building 1 in front of mine to start putting the track suspension back together. We got the rear idler hubs back on and all greased up. We also filled the rear axle with gear oil. Don is going to grease up everything Thursday. Hopefully by Friday It will have new tracks on it. I hope to do some de-greasing on mine this weekend.

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpg

Steve A.

Last edited by a moderator:

battlecr

Well. ended up having to take the right track off. Had a oil leak from the right drum. So hub off, new seal hub back on. Hub off, speedy sleave (not cheap) new seal hub back on. Hub still leaks. Now I'm getting reaaaaaallllllly frustrated, I'm even thinking I've got a casting flaw in the drum because it only leaks in one place. This side was leaking when I pulled it down originally. Then I just happen to look at the first seal on the out side and Shezam! So busy consentrating on the inside seal surface missed this completely:oops: Someone got a little over zelous with the beating tool. :shock:

Anyway cleaned up the seal surface, alittle silicone for good measure retracked it and moved her out of the shop and over next door!

Don G

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks