• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M3 Halftrack

battlecr

Time for another progress report. Got the floor completed before old man winter raised his ugly head. Keeping evrything loose and line up punches are the order of the day! Need to get it up to DMV for a VIN inspection and try to get a title! :( Won't be fun but we'll get it done.

Enjoy Don G.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Time for another progress report. Got the floor completed before old man winter raised his ugly head. Keeping evrything loose and line up punches are the order of the day! Need to get it up to DMV for a VIN inspection and try to get a title! :( Won't be fun but we'll get it done.

Enjoy Don G.
Under the Flag of Maryland, you can get a "12 Minute" title, apparently:

- that is, if you're willing to pay for the privilege.

How about that?!

SP5

Tanks,APCs, and all kinds of wheeled vehicles are neat,,but there is something about a halftrack,,visceral, sexy, whatever, they are at the top of chain for me.
Beautifull looking, it's too bad there ar'nt more of them around.

battlecr

After a go around with old man winter, been back working on the M3. Been doing some detail work but the big accomplishment was completing the back wall of the rear armor. The monkey motion on the door lock was really interesting. Works good now that it's all mounted

Don G.

Attachments

61sleepercab

Nice looking restoration job. A friend of mine rescued a half track that had been used for logging and was equipped with log bunks. He rebuilt the back bed and put the vehicle in the local parade carrying a group of grinning WWII vets. Locally I saw a oil field service rig mounted on a half track that had been modified with a regular truck rear end but still had the armor fender and cab. Mark

Deffinitly subscribed :thumbup:

I haven't even begun to dive into the things i want to do with my deuce and this thread already has me looking at halftracks...... My name is James and i have a green iron addiction :D

Keep up the good work, she'll sure be a beauty when you're all finished!

battlecr

Deffinitly subscribed :thumbup:

I haven't even begun to dive into the things i want to do with my deuce and this thread already has me looking at halftracks...... My name is James and i have a green iron addiction :D

Keep up the good work, she'll sure be a beauty when you're all finished!
You know, admitting that you have an addiction is the first step.......................to buying more Green Iron:clinto:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stared at the pictures....I'm excited, can't imagine how you're feeling being the pilot!

Beautiful piece of rolling art. Test run dates?

battlecr

I got to drive around the block when we moved it over from the other shop. It was a rush. I hope to have it down at Tower Park/ Camp Delta in April. It won't be complete but it will be close.

Don G.

battlecr

Finally saw some sun. had to move her out so we could get the crane. Got the rear wall mounted, still countersinking the side armor. Did take her around the block twice. Have some leaks to fix but she ran good.

Don G.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
still countersinking the side armor.

Don G.
It's brand new and just makes me grin every time I see it, beautiful.

What style of bolts are you using for those counter-sunk holes?

SuperDave is putting a Universal Carrier together and I know he was hunting for some 'stove bolt' style hardware and having a northern challenge. Phillips head is easy to find but we were hunting for flat head tapered with a standard slot, without emptying the bank.

battlecr

I'm using reproduction armor bolts, rounded head slot. My friend had 50,000 made up for halftracks they were gone in 2 weeks. I know Gary Hebding has some. The flat heads any good fastener supplier should be able to get them for you. Maybe check McMaster-Carr?

Don G.

Another Ahab

It's brand new and just makes me grin every time I see it, beautiful.

What style of bolts are you using for those counter-sunk holes?

SuperDave is putting a Universal Carrier together and I know he was hunting for some 'stove bolt' style hardware and having a northern challenge. Phillips head is easy to find but we were hunting for flat head tapered with a standard slot, without emptying the bank.
Do you mean carriage bolts (with a squared-shoulder)?

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/21851?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Era Correct Hardware

Very similar to a carriage bolt. It looks like this one in the photo. Fastenal did not have stock at the time but the staff made me want to visit again.

Sounds like Era Correct Hardware would be a good business to be in with 50,000 of anything going out the door.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

battlecr

Well put putting on some big chunks. She's really looking like a halftrack. I hope to have it down to Tower Park in a few weeks. Should have the last armor piece on and the fenders Monday. Still have interior pieces to install. I'm borrowing a fuel tank from my buddy and will install the tank covers also. Then the fun will start, I get to detail the track.

Don G

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks