• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Military is starting to scare me...

TehTDK

At work I once saw a pilot start a helicopter with the main rotor blades tied down. The company shall remain anonymus. (Chevron Heliport in Venice, Louisiana. Pilot worked for Chevron. Chevron helicopter)
Wouldn't most whiskers have the rotor clutch out when parked?, ie that the rotor is not engaged?. If the rotor is not engaged, then powered up the engines shouldn't technically do anything other then power them up. Only when you engage the rotors the fun bits should start.

But yea scary reading all those kinds of things but it sorta reenforces the impression I get. And sorry if I am wrong, but our armed forces tend to err more to the side of caution then is good sometimes. But you are actually not allowed to "touch" or operate any vehicle that you have not been certified for. Certification requires 2-3 days in depth training on the vehicle if its a jeep etc or 2-3 weeks for wreckers etc. Were they teach you all the basic stuff like how to preform a general inspection but also carry out the monthly inspections yourself, driving on road, in terrain, how to self-recover etc. And if you havent gotten this, then you cant operate it. According to what I have been told this "mode of operation" is not carried out in the US armed forces, if you have a license you can more or less drive anything and no training required is that correct?.

But we have something in all vehicles referred to as a pigs snout, which is used for charging a vehicle that has drained batteries, is this what you all refer to when you talk about slave cables etc?. Thankfully we have to open to hood to get to that port so would "hopefully" notice if something is fishy..... one way or the other.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
to what I have been told this "mode of operation" is not carried out in the US armed forces, if you have a license you can more or less drive anything and no training required is that correct?.
Not true for the US Army. Commanders let training standards slip and Leaders that do not have the authority to license Soldiers often do so anyway, but the standard remains that every Soldier is supposed to go through drivers training for every type of vehicle they are licensed on. The way our program is supposed to run sounds about the same as yours.

But we have something in all vehicles referred to as a pigs snout, which is used for charging a vehicle that has drained batteries, is this what you all refer to when you talk about slave cables etc?. Thankfully we have to open to hood to get to that port so would "hopefully" notice if something is fishy..... one way or the other.
A slave port for slave cables sound the same as your pig snout. Pig snout, I like it. I might have to use that some time.

TehTDK

Thanks for that bit of info Sigo. I was just curious really, but here standards can slip as well, but if the standards slips and an accident occurs as the cause of it then its down to the individual driver so decline to drive any vehicle he is not trained or certified for, or he takes the full blame and responsability in the case something happens (And will have to cover the cost of repair/rebuilt). Obviously during times of war that particularly issue is dispensed with, and then there is the case of being given a direct order to do something. However say I was given a direct order to drive a Cougar (A vehicle I am not certified for) and I then crashed it, or somehow damaged it through incorrect handling. Being given a direct order to drive it, means my superior officer has to take the fall for giving me such a order (Provided he mans up and admits to having done it and doesn't just pin it on the soldier, which has happened here a few times.)

Sadly I dont have any pictures of the "pigs snout", but I wouldn't be surprised if its the same thing considering the fact that all the NATO vehicles need to interop.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=OPCOM
What's the deal? Do some guys get brain dead or go crazy? Do they lose common sense, become irresponsible? What can explain it?
Fluoride in our water and toothpaste:p

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TeH, Again it's the same for us. If I, as a commander order a Soldier to drive a vehicle he is not licensed and trained to operate then I am assuming the risk. Any decent commander will take responsibility for such an action. Techno in the post above posted a photo of our "pig snout". The one he posted is a type 1 NATO standard slave port. We also have a Type 2 standard in older vehicles. It has two prongs inside. Type 1 is the standard now in US vehicles.

Way off topic, but since we're conversing in this thread I have to tell you, you've got a great country. I feel a connection to Denmark since I got married there in 2003. It was February and kind of cold and wet, but the people we met were extremely hospitable and the city of Christiansfeld was beautiful. The shore at Little Belt/The Baltic was great. I enjoyed every minute of my week there and I'll remember it forever.:beer:

TehTDK

TeH, Again it's the same for us. If I, as a commander order a Soldier to drive a vehicle he is not licensed and trained to operate then I am assuming the risk. Any decent commander will take responsibility for such an action. Techno in the post above posted a photo of our "pig snout". The one he posted is a type 1 NATO standard slave port. We also have a Type 2 standard in older vehicles. It has two prongs inside. Type 1 is the standard now in US vehicles.
The one I saw in the jeep had 2-3 "holes" inside and wasn't receeded like the plug on the picture :)

Way off topic, but since we're conversing in this thread I have to tell you, you've got a great country. I feel a connection to Denmark since I got married there in 2003. It was February and kind of cold and wet, but the people we met were extremely hospitable and the city of Christiansfeld was beautiful. The shore at Little Belt/The Baltic was great. I enjoyed every minute of my week there and I'll remember it forever.:beer:
Thanks for the kind words. Actually Christiansfeld isn't that far from where I live :). The city I live in is right where Little Belt is, or rather where the 2 bridges are :p, so I happen to go for walks or bikerides along the beach etc regularly.

GUNNY 155

Okay guys, I did not read all of these but batteries give off Hydrogen Sulfide Gas in small amounts but at times can give off quite a bit. This most often happens when discharged or they have a bad cell or two. The gases sort of collect around the battery or in the battery compartment and then along comes Snuffy with the jumper cables. He hooks them up and in the process gets a spark. If the gases are at the LEL (lower explosive limit) or UEL (upper explosive limit) nothing happens because the mixture is to rich or to lean but in most cases some place in there the mix is just right and off it goes. The spark is the key, makes no difference if you hook them up wrong or right. The key is to use a remote ground connection on the engine block or frame, this way if you get a spark it is away from the battery is not an ignition source. All part of Haz Mat 101 from a old firefighter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks