• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Multifuel Turbo?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So from what ive read on here, switching to a C will pretty much net the same power? I was under the impression the 5T trucks had a bigger/diff turbo than the deuce multifuels and made 20-30 more hp?
They make almost 50 more HP, but its not the turbo, its the IP mostly.

gimpyrobb

Gimpy, Ive found a wastegated turbo. Do you know what IP I need or maybe a part number?
Just so you know, if your putting a waste-gate turbo on a deuce, things are gonna be TIGHT! The IP you want is the one that says LDS on it. Most of those are governed to 2900rpm. Let me see if I can find a number for ya.

This is the one in my basement:

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Thats actually the IP i am trying to get ready for your "batwing" truck. I need to find where I put my good "button clips" that hold the button on. Thats all thats left to get this back together. I guess I could order one, but I have some here somewhere.

To answer your question, I have 2 hydraulic bead breakers getting repaired and 2 12,000lb Warn winches getting re-habbed. SOme day I might actually be able to shoot billiards again if I can finish these up.

cidrich

1985mustang, your truck has a LDS IP on it. I dont know the numbers or if there are different ones. Yor IP has a tag on the side of it and it has LDS on it. Me and Ryan looked to make sure it had the LDS IP on it. I hope this helps.

sandcobra164

Turbos don't make power, fuel does.
Sir,
You are very well respected on this board, I'll extend the same courtesy. I've read many times that adding a turbo to a multi equals zero power increase. I can't quite figure that one out at all. The N/A's smoke like crazy when you press the pedal or "up the fuel". Black Smoke. I recall Gale Banks saying that black smoke on a Diesel is "Wasted Fuel". OK, that guy doesn't have a clue either but he does have quite a product line and loyal following.

My understanding, Fuel along with Air makes power. If you don't have enough air in the combustion chamber, the "excess" fuel will combust in the exhaust manifold and send EGT's through the roof. The time the mixture of fuel and air is very short in the cylinder, in the exhaust, it can burn, expand as it want's to, and make alot of heat. That heat is wasted expansion that could have been pushing a piston down, instead it heads out of the stack.

I changed my D turbo out for a C. I like the sound of it. I can notice the power loss above about 2200 rpm's. If a turbo adds more air, increases combustion efficiency, decreases emissions all at the same time, it must make more power. I would be willing to bet, if you take a N/A Diesel and add a turbo, it'll burn cleaner and make more power. If you replace an inefficient turbo with one that works' better, the same above should apply.:popcorn:

Vintage iron

Sandcobra164 it sounds like a strong theory. 1600's definitely highlight any issues that your motor is having. You may have clogged injectors, clogged filters or even crap in the tank. My Cummins 250 is running weak right now. I am also running 1600's. I am going to clean out my tank, replace any rubber lines, and flush the system. I know that it is the motor because it runs good sometimes and weak others. I would start with the basics and move up to the turbo.

1985mustanggt50

Thanks cidrich! Im up around raliegh working, have been in wilminton and ocean isle all week. Wish I was home to just look and see whats on the truck lol.

gimpy, this will be going on an m54 5 ton

cidrich

Dont you know this is the wrong time to be at the beach?Lol Well maybe its not for as warm as its been! I havent worked on the M54 alot. But when ryan had it we worked on it some. We did check the turbo,IP and do maintenance and check things out. The motor looked to be in really good shape as did the rest of the truck. I hope you get it running like you want it too. from what I hear the LDS makes good power! Wish I had one in my Deuce.

gimpyrobb

Truth be told, an LDT can put out similar power to an LDS. Its kinda funny, I have an LDS in my deuce and an LDT in my wrecker. I have a blow-off valve turbo to put on the wrecker, just to see if it makes any noticeable difference, but I doubt it. Another thing to check is the air filter. I took mine out for a drive around the block. WOW, what a difference. I bought a new one the next day! The one I had was way beyond washing.

1985mustanggt50

Thanks! Would it be worth it at all to can the stock filter setup and run a conical filter such as the AFE like I have on my powerstroke? I know it made a very noticable difference on the f250.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks