• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to repack wheel bearings?

Loco_Hosa

Ok, I have searched, and I see a ton of folks referencing the act of packing the bearings, but no one explaining how.....

I would like to pack my bearings while I have the truck apart, but I dont know what tools I need or what type of grease to buy, since I have never done it.

Someone please explain?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You tube, "pack wheel bearing"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agxjGtmHV_4[/media]

Hooty481

i used a cheap bering packer from advance or napa. you can also do the palm method.

the palm method is by taking grease and putting in the palm of one had then taking the bearing and pushing in into the grease at the wide side of the bearing. do this all the way around until you see grease coming out the other side and around the rollers. a messy way but it works and has worked for a long time before bearing packers.

the bearing packer that i am talkign about is one that screws together and the bearing is in the middle. then you just hook the grease gun to it and it pumps it full of grease. still a little messy but hey when your working with grease what can you expect.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYiA53vcxA[/media]

High Temp bearing grease. Get a big ole tub of it. The more grease the better.

Loco_Hosa

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQYiA53vcxA[/media]High Temp bearing grease. Get a big ole tub of it. The more grease the better.
That video was about the funniest thing I ever seen!

On one of my axles their is a HUGE amount of grease between the bearings packs on the shaft. I assume I need to clean all the old grease out, but then do I need to try and smear more in there?

I have the hub apart, should I try and remove the bearing cups to clean between them, or just do the best I can without removing the cups? If they need to come out, any suggestions?

EDIT for clarification

seabeeut

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2 chapter 14 has the info on inspection and regreasing the brg's a bearing repacker is cheap and a lot less mess than hand packing

deuceaid

Banned
I would do like the second video, and You could wash out the old grease with carb spray or something, but dont blow/spin dry the bearings with compressed air,,, just push in new grease.

Loco_Hosa

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2 chapter 14 has the info on inspection and regreasing the brg's a bearing repacker is cheap and a lot less mess than hand packing
When I posted this, I had read the TM, but I assumed a bearing packer was a big and expensive device. Lol.

The innermost seal, when I removed the inner bearings, I cant get that seal to come off. I was going to put some RTV on it, but it wont release. Am I doing something wrong?

zout

Yup -forget the tools to pac them - dig your hands in and become ONE with your wheel bearings - join the the force.

Great info above ^^^^^^^^^ in them video's. I have never ever bought a wheel bearing packer for our fleet - I make them all do it by hand to this day.

ctmustang

YEp I agree pack them by hand as that way you know its right all the way around the bearing. No need to put grease in between the bearings on the shaft or inside the hub youre waasting grease. The innermost seal that you cant get off doesnt use rtv its just pressed on the spindle dry. If its soft and plyable dont mess with it
CT

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner seal is almost a press fit. It will come off the a little gentle persuasion on the back of the seal with a brass hammer. I just redid all of my brakes, bearings, and seals. I do not reuse the seals, I replaced them. A brass drift pin is the method I used for putting the new ones on. Tap lightly around the bearing, close to the axle tube until it seats. :driver:

derby

I also wanted to mention that the bearings/ cups should be inspected before packing along with the recommended cleaning.
Video is not bad. I have to admit I do put a light coating of grease on the shaft and in the hub. There always seems to be some extra in between fingers under watch or on your elbow so why waste it.
I also do the hand packing and after four or five bearings i wish I had bought the packing tool due to my palm getting raw. Take your time don't be in a rush , remember it is a Hobby You are supposed to enjoy it.

Vintage iron

I have a old packing tool. It looks like two funnel one goes on the inside the other goes on the outside and a wing nut holds them together. Hook your grease gun up to the zirk fitting on the bottom and pump away with High temp wheel bearing grease. when the grease comes out bright red stop. Works great!

Chevyman_15237

I used a length of 3" schedule 80 pipe to set the inner wheel seal rather than a punch; worked well, didnt bust up the seal and it went on straight. I threw on two pair of nitrile gloves and packed bearings by hand, no big deal if you use a packer or do it by hand.

Loco_Hosa

Well, daily driver shat a water pump at me, so the next thing I know my drip trays under the rear axles (that had my bearinga in them) with rain water. Didnt make me happy >.< Started packing them by hand, I must have been doing something wrong, after two hours I wasnt even half done!

Barrowed a bearing packer, will finish them tomorow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks