• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A1/A2 interchangablility?

jumpmasterjim

Does anyone know what if any differnces the M151A2 wiring harness has to work in an M151A1. I bought an A1 a few weeks ago and saw a harness on Ebay for an A2. any insight would be helpful. thanks.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am not sure but from my experience with both models I did not see a lot of difference most of that was in roll over protection since they did that quite easily. Welcome to the site you will love this being an MV owner

Jetnoise400

Here's what I read in a thread elsewhere about this very subject once upon a time:

You will have to lengthen the wires for the turn signals, change the conection for the brake lights and the harness won't have a hook up for the electric fuel pump, but you might be able to use the electric windshield wiper lead instead. And you will have to figure out how to hook up your 25 amp generator because the A2 has an alternator and the connections are a bit different. But I understand you can just swap out your gen for an alternator and be done with it.

Disclaimer: I have never done this swap and am not very knowledgable about such things. But I just remember reading about it as I was curious about the differences in the A1 vs. the A2, and am relaying the info I saw.

But I hope that helps!

jumpmasterjim

Thanks for the insight. I used to be a 63B a hundred years ago. I worked on A2s' for a while. just never had to bust my knuckles on any A1s' I'm looking forward to the challenge though.

Attachments

jumpmasterjim

I just won the A2 harness on ebay. I called Maine and they want $675- for an A1 harness. I think that is a little steep. So I'll spend a little time converting the A2 harness to use. Does anyone know the website for the guy from Smyrna De? I'm looking for an exhaust and a few other tidbits to bring my lump of coal up to diamond status.

mutt1966

The Pulley's for a 60AMP have three grooves and you have to change the timing pointer you can find the procedure in -20 manual, they just had a very good thread on doing that over at G838.org... O&O Scott

nattieleather

Did you win a complete harness front and rear or just one half? The front harness will be set up for the 60 amp Alternator and will have the extra wires for the parking lights and the blackout marker lights on the fenders. So you have to make a few changes there to get the blackout light wires up to the grill and remove the parking lights circuit. The front also has the windshield wiper motor wire. The rear harness will not have the fuel pump wire and it will have an extra blackout stop light wire on the drivers side. Other than that the rear is an easy swap. It's the front that takes a little more work, but nothing that can't be done with a little bit of work and planning. Good luck with the project. Mutt looks good too!

vinzike

I bought an A1 with really screwed up wiring. Who ever had it converted the lights and other systems to 12 VDC. The starter button was 12v to a solenoid. Most of the rest of the wiring was burned up or shorted out.

I ripped it all out and replaced it with an A2 harness (front and back), and reconfigured the engine to an A2. That means..... not only swapping out the generator for the 60A alternator, but also swapping out the fan belts and pulley to the three configuration. Under load, the two pulleys can slip. Also, put in a 1966 dodge dart fuel pump and traded out the windshield for an A2 with an electric motor.

Have it up for sale now. Clean title in Florida, runs great, and all systems working. It's worth the conversion to the A2 harness.

IMG_2821.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks