• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Extinguishers in our MVs

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to bring this back up. I need to get an extinguisher for my Deuce. I didn't see anything mentioned about using one for a run away engine. I was considering a CO2 extinguisher thinking (in theory) it could be used to stop a run away without destroying the engine. Opinions?
Adding a shut off flap to the air intake is a much better option than relying on a CO2 extinguisher. It will be faster acting, and you won't have to rely on aiming the extinguisher, or being close enough. Many older fire trucks had that feature, with a cable control at the dash by the steering wheel. All you had to do was pull the handle and it caused a flap to shut off the air intake. It's also cheaper and more reliable.

MarcusOReallyus

My wife had to do that recently with a gasser when the ignition switch decided it wasn't going to cooperate. She was out of town, and couldn't get it shut off. After replacing the switch (towed to dealer$hip), the engine had a knock for about 20 minutes. Dunno why. I didn't get to hear it, so I have no clue what it might have been. I hasn't come back, and we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or not.

Anyway, that to say, yeah, shutting off the air supply works, but it's not without risk.

TURKEY131

Good topic! I keep a fire extinguisher in my pickup, one deuce, garage and house. This topic really got me thinking about having one in each vehicle. I have used a extinguisher many times at work, and the dry chem makes a huge mess. With the dry chem extinguishers make sure that the pin is secure in them. One of my co-workers was driving around and the extinguisher discharged in the trunk, she thought the car was on fire. Several hours later she could not see, the dry chem is abrasive and scratch her corninas. This was over 5 years ago, she still has issues with her eyes because of this.

plode

Can someone post a close up of how they have a 5lb extinguisher mounted in a M939 series on the shift tower? My truck never had one there, so I'm attempting to mount one, but can't figure out how to position the bracket without interfering with the shifting components/mounting of the side plate.
I bought a 10lb extinguisher, but it's just way too big to put inside the cab.

MtnSnow

Plode,

I don't have a pic of mine but I can tell you that the bracket for the extinguisher is simply attached to the shift tower by two of the screws that hold the side cover of the tower in place...

plode

Plode,

I don't have a pic of mine but I can tell you that the bracket for the extinguisher is simply attached to the shift tower by two of the screws that hold the side cover of the tower in place...
Thank you for that. I guess a standard commercial bracket for the extinguisher aren't like the military brackets at all...My commercial bracket doesn't line up with any of the side cover screws at all.

Piper Cub

Yep, the military brackets are definitely different than regular brackets. I haven't changed my military bracket to a civilian one yet but my regular extinguisher sits on the floor against the bracket and the strap fits around it tightly enough to secure it.

MtnSnow

My commercial bracket doesn't line up with any of the side cover screws at all.
Can you possibly re-drill your commercial bracket to use at least 1 of the side cover screws? Really only need one screw if the extinguisher is sitting on the floor so the bracket is really only keeping it upright and not rolling around..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks