• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chronicle of a tan M1101 trailer purchase from GovLiquidation.com

Amer-team

Here is another option for mounting you license plate. Looked at the option with the Simpson strong tie. Was looking at the workbench and there were a couple of hinges off a screen door. They were aluminum, in keeping with the aluminum body option. I first drilled two holes in the license plate so it would match the hinge holes. Then made an aluminum bar across the holes to match the license plate. If it were to strike something, it would pivot out of the way.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Good thinking on the swingaway part, now a lamp or two off to the side to light up the plate @ night will make it complete. The light will have to be shielded so as not to blind traffic behind you, just light up the plate. Thanks for posting...

Amer-team

Good point on the light. That is another reason why I put it where it is. It will be no problem to tap into one of the wires to the running lights and get a light on it. There was a thread sometime back that mentioned remote lighting for license plates as well. I talked with a State officer about this and he said as long as they can see the plate and it is legible, I shouldn't have a problem, but if they want to stop me for something, that is a good reason to do it. So will get to that project when it warms up a bit. And shielded yes. No white light directly visible from the back.

3dAngus

Remote lighting for a license plate light is state by state.
I posted about a City LEO pulling me over in Florida one time, because I didnt have a license plate on a new trailer. He told me the state of Florida requires lighting on the license plate. I had magnetic lights on with no license plate and no lights on the lincense plate area, but it was daylight and a new purchase so he let me go free.
Everyone should check trailer lighting in their state because when I checked into it the rules were all over the place for each state.
You cannot always trust a LEO to know all the rules. On rare occassion, you might get the wrong info with the right good intentions. Do your own research.

Amer-team

Good point. I was thinking lighting is lighting. He told me I could be pulled over if the exterior light that lights up the truck box area is lit, going down the road. Sometimes you hit the switch and since it isn't shining on your head, you don't know it is on. This is another one of those instances where there are so many rules, no one can keep track of them. You are bound to be out of compliance with something.

clutzer

If they listed the Model designation, we would not have a problem as they would most likely be unique.
Could you to apply the following algorithm for generating a VIN for the DMV for these trailers:

VIN = MANUF + MODEL_NUMBER + MANUF. SERIAL NUMBER

Where:

MANUF = SE - Silver Eagle, etc.
MODEL_NUMBER = M1101, M1102, M101A1, etc.

E.g.

SEM110112345 <- Silver Eagle M1101 with manuf. serial number 12345.

Amer-team

That would be a great idea, but the state dept. of licensing is involved so logic is not a priority here. The lady at the licensing station knows how to fix it, but unless it comes from the powers that be, it is a no go.

On a side note spent last Sunday afternoon working on the M1102 trying to get the lights switched over to a 7 prong civilian plug in. Have turn signals and brakelights, but no constant taillights and running lights. Probably have a broken wire somewhere. More on this as it gets figured out. Have cleaned grounds except for the ones on the running lights. With the running light sockets being riveted in and in the blind, they are a bugger to get to.

rustystud

That would be a great idea, but the state dept. of licensing is involved so logic is not a priority here. The lady at the licensing station knows how to fix it, but unless it comes from the powers that be, it is a no go.

On a side note spent last Sunday afternoon working on the M1102 trying to get the lights switched over to a 7 prong civilian plug in. Have turn signals and brakelights, but no constant taillights and running lights. Probably have a broken wire somewhere. More on this as it gets figured out. Have cleaned grounds except for the ones on the running lights. With the running light sockets being riveted in and in the blind, they are a bugger to get to.
Peter, you hit the nail on the head about our Dept. of Licensing here ! Of course if you get the right person they can do whatever they want to. I was told I can change the date of my trucks manufacture if I so wanted ! I still went with 1988 as that is the real date of manufacture, at least for the frame. The engine says 1989.

NieseJ

Just a side note. I paid the extra $60 for the "Bill of Sale" which was absolutely worthless for the trailer.

FloridaAKM

Here in Florida, there is a no title policy for trailers. When I got my 3 M-1102 trailers this past summer, GL sent me a bill of sale for each unit stating Florida's no title policy & saved me $180.00. I don't know anything about Ohio's DMV view of trailer titling or registration.

Just a side note. I paid the extra $60 for the "Bill of Sale" which was absolutely worthless for the trailer.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any recent purchase experiences to update the thread with? Is the information in here still relevant?
No, most is dated. GL has not had the contract for a loooong time and sales of 1101 and 1102 at Government Planet have about dried up.

FloridaAKM

GP still has a few from time to time, but they are usually well used & not is pristine shape. I have seen them totally wrecked go for $500.00 for some odd reason. The older prices were the most affordable, just so much anymore. The GP yard here has dozens of M105 trailers, but no 1101 or 1102's @ all.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I got that is chronicled in this thread is gone now. I needed to sell it (made about $1K) because I lost my storage space in the garage.

I have since picked up another one in the same condition for about $220 less. I would also love to find a cover (or any of the components for the cover) but the few times I've seen anything come up it's ridiculously over-priced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks