• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chronicle of a tan M1101 trailer purchase from GovLiquidation.com

clutzer

Just got some bad news from Silver Eagle: I called them up to talk about what kind of lighting system the trailer has, and what would and would not work if a 12V truck was towing it. Mike from Silver Eagle stated that the 24V tail lights would work, but be dim. But he thinks the LED marker lights are not dual volt and therefore will not work at all. He put together a quick quote for me for over $500 to retrofit the lights to 12V. Barf again. More research on this will be required.

rogerm101a2

Hello,
I'm the maker of the harness. My m1102 trailers has the l.e.d side markers and they will work with my harness. Although not as bright as running 24v they do work. I'll post pics later. Any questions I can be reached at saboup@yahoo.com thank you

Amer-team

Put some lights on it. If you have the standard lights on the back, you can change the 24 bulbs out for 12 volt. It seems that awhile back someone had a thread about making an adapter that uses the civilian flat plug and ties into the military inter vehicular cable.
A few years ago I purchased one of the nice air droppable equipment trailers, plugged the cable into my stock M715 and all the trailer lights blew out. After pulling the covers off the light housings, it was discovered that the previous owner had replaced the 24v bulbs with
12v. Once I put in 24's no problem.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what you do

--If you want to totally convert to only 12V lights. Just change 24V bulbs for 12V..

--If you want BOTH 12 and 24V lights.. For brake lights, get a set of these : MILITARY M998 LED TAIL LIGHT GROTE 8202 NEW | eBay

These Grotes and the Trucklight Omnivolt lights are 10 to 36 volt lights. They will work on either 12V or 24V with no problems. As far as the marker lights, you can keep the 24V bulbs, and they will be a bit dim, but not bad, OR you can get the Grote/Trucklight Omnivolt marker lights and you'll be all set.

As for my M1101, I have the trucklight omnivolt brake lights, and use the 24V light bulbs for the markers, and no problems. This was I can tow it with my M998 or my civy pick up, no problems.

As for the electrical connection, I built a converter as shown in my thread I mentioned above.

As for Silver Eagle, that price is full on retail. I found that dealing with Schutt Industries, they are alot cheaper than Silver Eagle. and it all the same items, just different manufacturers. They are both contrractors for the M1101/2 series trailers.

Schutt Industries > HOME

I have been dealing with these trailers since 1997 in the Army durring the "park them and leave them alone until we can sort all this out" safety message that came out that brought about the 3 MWO's. I also own one.

In an interesting side note, I'd say these trailers rank up there with the M2 Bradley as far as a "how not to do it" for a new item procurement by Uncle Sam.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE on my purchase. My EUC got kicked back today. I had to change all the N/A entries to read Not Applicable, sign an Export Letter, and get them a clearer picture of my DL. As a DOD employee myself, I can understand the need for exactness. No, not really.

clutzer

UPDATE on my purchase. My EUC got kicked back today. I had to change all the N/A entries to read Not Applicable, sign an Export Letter, and get them a clearer picture of my DL. As a DOD employee myself, I can understand the need for exactness. No, not really.
Me too: I had to check box C and change business use from "personal" to "home owner". WTH, hahaha.

3dAngus

My last EUC I sent in on Feb. 13 took a whoppping 5 business days to clear.
I've already picked up 4 of my 5 trailers. My M1101 will have to wait another week as I need to put a tire on it. I bought another one today so I would have a tire to swap out. Still need to buy one or two though.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EUC sent to Battle Creek
Woot! After a couple more corrections my EUC is on its way. I've done one for a GL auction in the past, back when the minimum bid was $50, so hopefully it'll move through the system quickly.

As for the lighting I'm thinking of buying some rubber shell connectors from Erik's and rewiring from the first junction forward. Then I can preserve the original 12-pin plug (in a box) and have a proper 7-blade for the jeep.

mopar

I will post them as soon as I pick it up (which is probably 30 days away based on this being my first EUC)
Don't worry Just did my first for a Ft Meade M1102

Status Date Submission of EUC Pending 02/09/2012
EUC revisions requested from Customer 02/15/2012
EUC sent to Battle Creek 02/16/2012
Customer Notified 02/28/2012

Actually went quicker than I had planned and I leave Thursday Worcester to pick it up Friday at 9am. My first GL Purchase as well

Attachments

Last edited:

clutzer

Just got mine:
Minor little panic attack :!:: I'm aware that you can no longer drive "vehicles" out of GL lots and instead they must be hauled out. But, your photo of your trailer on a trailer makes me worried that this is true for trailers too?! I was making an assumption that my trailer would get towed out by my H1.

P.S. Nice looking trailers!

clutzer

I leave Thursday Worcester to pick it up Friday at 9am. My first GL Purchase as well
Nice, congrats. Is this Worcester, MA? I'm just down the pike in Cambridge if you are. Nice looking trailer: looks like you support legs for it! That's really cool: I could use some of those during the loading phase of my upcoming (bonkers) trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks