• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Now who could POSSIBLY read thru this thread and read about the blood, sweat, tears (and maybe a little consumption of adult beverages) and NOT vote for this outstanding piece of history for the June MV of the Month?? HUH?? :papabear:

zout

Cannot wait to see video of that baby in action (unless its raining cause it will be in hiding) Waiting to see a pic of your trailer your going to carry it on to all them places.

Its a great MV for poll of the month to win.

yoeri

just got at the end of this magnificent build :)
have been busy reading the entire day ...

just started on my first MV ever, will start a thread about it tomorrow.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
just got at the end of this magnificent build :)
have been busy reading the entire day ...

just started on my first MV ever, will start a thread about it tomorrow.
Welcome to the site, and while you're at it read the thread Tinwoodsman has started on his MB Jeep. It will also be better than museum quality when he finishes.:driver:

flashbucks

WC62 seat pan

Today I finished upholstering the seat bottoms for my WC. I was able to get seat pans but the springs were not available. Instead I used high density seat foam mounted on plywood bases that have T-Bolts inserted into the boards to accept 5/16" cap screws. I had the foam cut 1/2" wider than the base board dimensions to allow for a tighter cover fit. I centered the board on the foam and glued the two together. I then marked a 2" line around the board edge as a stretch point for the canvas for stapling. That way you are assured the material is stretched even on all sides. Then I applied a sheet of plastic (laundry bag) which allows the canvas to slide easier over the foam during installation. I then turned the seat cover inside out and placed in on the seat foam making sure it was equal on all sides. The cover was folded down on the foam and turned upside down with the board exposed. Then I placed a large board across the seat bottom to allow clamps to be used to press the board down compressing the foam. This made it easier to pull the seatcover's edge to the objective 2" mark for stapling. I started stapling at the center of each side leaving the corners until all four sides were stapled. I then flaired and stapled each corner. Finally, used a template created from the board to locate and expose the holes to mount the seat to the pan. Finally, I mounted the seat bottom to the pan.

All I have have left to do now is sandblast, primer and paint the seat pans and frames and set aside until cab is ready. This was my first attempt at using foam and it is very easy so anyone can do it.

View attachment 419620View attachment 419621View attachment 419622View attachment 419623View attachment 419624View attachment 419625View attachment 419626View attachment 419627View attachment 419628
Where did you find the seat pans? I am working on a WC62 that is missing the pans and need a set badly.
Thanks, Gregg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the seat pans but the springs were totally shot. I would suggest you try Midwest Military or Vintage Power Wagons. They may have what you are looking for.

Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks