• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, took the 1945 WC-51 off the trailer today and moved it into the shop. Soldiers B & C help steer it into position as I towed and pushed it. Continuing to look for parts and tomorrow I will attempt to disassemble the combat wheels that were in the bed. The rim studs and nuts are really rusty so I am soaking them in PB Blaster. Then I will start taking her apart and document each piece and location. A lot of patch panel work ahead. [thumbzup] Will update this thread as progress is made.

Attachments

1958 M274

Good luck with your project; I'll look forward to seeing more pictures as it progresses! I have a WC-51 I'm working on too. They are great trucks!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DR, I am hoping I learned enough to do this project justice. Zout has forgotten more than I will ever know. ;-)

Last edited:

rrrr

Got mine just over a year ago. Its now down to the frame and motor. Ready to start putting it back together.

John Bizal, Midwest Military, is a great guy and very helpful with parts and knowledge.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Nattie. Have a used original bumper so I just have to cut that pipe off and make new bumper brackets. It is a 51 so it is a solid bumper. Pictures will follow.

Eric's hifim37

That's a nice to work with, the ones brought to me lately make yours looked restored, With all the scrapping of metal we won't have to much of a selection anymore and complete ones will be very rare as they already are becoming. They are great trucks to rebuild and lots of fun to drive ! It will be worth your efforts in the end.

Thanks for saving another one !

Eric..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's awesome!

I love WWII stuff, it is just timeless.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Today was my first day of actually digging into the project. I have located many of the parts I need to do the restoration. John at Midway has been a tremendous help. Still need the hinges to hold the new tailgate on to the new rear cross member. I also need to get new gussets to install the used front bumper I found on ebay and which will replace the large pipe that was welded on the front. If anybody has these parts or know of where I can get them, I will be grateful for the information. Midway and Vintage Power Wagons are out.

The original owner covered the wood bed with a diamond plate sheet many moons ago and fortunately for me, he only welded it on a rear brace he installed. Three cutoff wheels later, I freed up the plate and removed it to expose pieces of the original bed. All but one of the cross members are salvageable and the frame is in good condition but will be completely blasted with my new Hornet pressure blaster. The tank seems to be strong but I know it will need some patching on the bottom. I hope I can get the sending unit removed without damage to the tank.

Next up is removing the tank and getting ready to remove the cargo compartment for blasting and patch panel work. I did try to salvage the rear blackout light but it was pretty well shot. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, as it turns out, removing the tank was not too bad. Unfortunately when I dropped the tank, I heard a loud knocking inside. I got the sender plate off after all the screws sheared off, to find that the tank baffle is loose. I called John at Midwest and he said he could have it repaired and sealed but we are looking at north of $400. Others have quoted $500 to $600. Needless to say, I am crushed.

Going to try my local welding shop to see if they can repair the tank and I can clean and seal it with the with the KBS coating kit like I did my deuce. If not, I may be converting this Sum Bitch to PROPANE.

Sorry, no photos today. You cannot take pictures of gloom and doom. :(

panshark

good luck getting it welded. I tried to get a 3 gallon motorcycle tank welded on (to seal up the hole above the petcock) and my welder said no way. Something about he'll never weld on a fuel tank again, not after the one he filled with water imploded on him. He said it left him scared and soaking wet. Ended up the size of a football.

Any way top get around using a tank baffle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks