Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,036 Posts

This link will provide more information on the process.

Stovebolt Tech Tip -- Antique Chevy / GMC Truck Restoration Help
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

Thanks

I may one who is contented by mediocrity, but I don't think it turned out that bad. For a rust removing setup that's almost impossible to destroy a part, looks like you've got a good start. I know you've got a busted shovel kicking around somewhere. Run that rebar down through where the handle attaches, and drop it into your bigger container. That'll ramp up the process. Large surface area is your friend!

On a side note...there is perhaps a safer way to do the process. Your battery charger is probably kicking out 2 amps minimum. I supply power to my setup through a ac->dc converter, that kicks out a fraction of 1 amp. Think old cell phone charger, old toy power supply, etc. 6 volts to 24 volts ok, 1/2 amp is plenty of power. It would probably work just as efficiently with 1/10 amp (100 mAh). Because I use a recycled converter, I know how much current is being conducted through the solution. I can stick my hand in the bucket/tub while it's plugged in to juice, and I may or may not feel a slight tingling. I don't think you would be able to do that with a car battery charger.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to panshark For This Useful Post:

Preacher Shawn (06-15-2014)

Thanks

Believe me Panshark, I was not disappointed. Just always trying for improvement. I like the idea of increasing the anode surface area and will try that when I do the Jerry can holders. I am looking for Washing Powder since it a little more caustic than baking soda and may speed up the process.

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

Thanks

Hmmmm... Looks like that electrolysis worked pretty good! I have a very rusty Ben Hur trailer, a 5 ton wrecker, and a swimming pool that we don't ever use... Wonder if I could dump a 55 gallon drum full of baking soda into the pool (30,000 gallons) and suspend the trailer from the lunette eye into the pool with the wrecker boom? The rubber tires will keep the wrecker and trailer insulated from the ground. Then, I can energize the wrecker/trailer and use an old wheelbarrow I have as the anode. What do y'all think?
    Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958 M274 For This Useful Post:

Preacher Shawn (06-15-2014)

Thanks

Sounds like a plan to me. For a power source, you can use a old cell phone charger.

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

Thanks

Ok, you two got me on that one. It would be interesting to see that in action, though!

Thanks

Had quite a bit of down time lately with some family illness, but things are looking up. Then I had the misfortune (or stupidity) to slice open the end of my index finger which put a crimp on the project. Finger is getting better for the project and typing so here is a recap.

Started making wood cargo bed templates to assist in squaring up the cargo bed for patch panel work. These templates will reduce the risk when it comes time to make the wood parts from costly oak. Installed a new rear cross member and am attempting to obtain measurements for the bed areas where rust has deteriorated mine.

Decided to tackle the engine and tested compression, timing, etc. and installed the ETW1 carb. With a little coaching, she fired up and ran very well considering I had 90 to 105 psi in cylinders 1-4 and only 35 in 5 and 6. Will pull the head next week and take a look. Got strong readings on the amp and oil gauges and the temp gauge did register but I only ran the engine for a about 5 minutes. I have ordered a gasket set for the 230 flathead and a rebuild kit for the carb.

Continue to accumulate parts and John at Midwest and Jens at Vintage Power Wagon have a lien on my home. The full tank will be done this week and I am still trying to locate a good fuel sending unit. Can't swing the $100+ dollars the ebay guy in Vietnam wants. Now have 5 combat wheels ready for blasting and painting and 5 new 9.00-16 NDT's thanks to Wallace Wade in Dallas.

More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinwoodsman For This Useful Post:

Danger Ranger (03-19-2012), Preacher Shawn (06-15-2014)

Thanks

Working on and off this week so the progress made is.....

Got the flathead fired up and she ran pretty good. Comfortable that no significant issues exist and will pull the engine shortly and my mechanic friend will help me overhaul it to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Got my gas tank back and it came out super. Could not find a fuel sending unit anywhere (usual places were out of stock) and someone referred me to a operation in the Netherlands. Turns out I purchased a new unit and, even with shipping, it was cheaper than the other places I tried.

Removed all the front end metal and will take the radiator to be cleaned out next week. No leaks are present but just want to check it out.

Installed the wood templates for the cargo box compartments which enabled me to square everything up. Now I can work on the cargo box patch panels and then remove the bed for blasting and body work. Located and purchased the bed hardware such as floor strips, step bolts with 1" diameter heads, and domed periphery tooth lock washers so the bed will be restored correctly. I still need to mill the oak wood sides, floor boards and cargo box lids but that will be the last step in assembly.

Got a visit from the Engine Lift Bracket fairy this week so I can pull the engine soon. Thanks PB

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinwoodsman For This Useful Post:

papabear (04-02-2012), Preacher Shawn (06-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,597 Times in 5,203 Posts

Glad to help Sir...you are doing amazing work for the hobby and your truck will represent well.
    Ignorance can be educated and crazy can be medicated but there is no cure for stupid.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to papabear For This Useful Post:

panshark (04-02-2012)

Thanks

Today was a good day and I didn't even go to the shop.

When I purchased my WC-51, it did not have a title as it has been a "ranch truck" as far back as I can research. In Texas, the county tax collector/DMV chief, can conduct a hearing and award a Court Ordered Title based on certain information provided. They have a package of forms to complete including Bill of Sale records, previous owner records, VIN information and specifications, etc. I was able to put together a detailed records package since the seller provided me a Bill of Sale and copies of the previous Bill of Sale from the person who sold him the vehicle. In addition, I was able to obtain the War Department Build Card and a certification letter from the Chrysler Historical museum.

Voila, the hearing lasted 5 minutes and I walked out with a title and the commitment that I could register it as a Former Military Vehicle when I am ready. The clerk who worked with me said the application package peaked her interest since her grandfather served in New Guinea and drove a vehicle just like mine. A big obstacle is now behind me.

Now back to wrenching.

1942 GPW
    1942 Ben Hur Trailer

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tinwoodsman For This Useful Post:

BlackNoma (06-15-2014), Danger Ranger (04-10-2012), papabear (04-09-2012), Preacher Shawn (06-15-2014), rchalmers3 (04-26-2012)

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast