• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need information about this 1941 GMC

Oldfart

My question about wheel base has to do with the van body as shown in the old photos and indicated as a K18 Radio Truck. I guess, what I am wondering is if the production numbers previously given are just for the K18 and that was the only use of that body. If there were actually more of these Hicks bodies used for other applications, there might be a few more available to collect. I really like the looks of those trucks and in the 4x2 configuration (AFX as opposed to the AFKX) it would make a great parade truck.

Let us know when the restoration thread starts so I can subscribe.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I haven't been able to find diddly squat about this truck other than what has already been posted above!!aua

I'll make pics as things progress.:naner:

M715VFD405

Sorry I didn't understand you, now I think I do. The numbers given are prolly for the military's vans. The Hick's company made school bus body's and van body's so it is possible you might find one like this out there, or use a bus body and mod it to look like this one. Then there is the "Jeeper's Creepers" COE and it had some kinda box body on it. You might look into them a bit more to find something at least close....
images.jpgjeeperscreepers_resized.jpg

Oldfart

Thanks, I notice as well that there are different Grills. I suspect that has to do with Vehicle capacity. Ton and a half versus 2 ton or larger??? So much to learn.

Oldfart

GMC 1941 custom COE.jpgIt looks to me like someone used one of the old GMC COE K18's to make his custom car hauler. In all of my looking so far the K18 is the only style of body that I would call a "High Boy" as it rises far above the windshield. And all the civilian versions of this vintage GMC COE truck that I can find photos of do not rise as far above the windshield. As well, the doors follow the widening of the cab from the hood to the body rather than the body extending out from behind the doors. I have not been able to find this widening of the cab to meet the body width anywhere else. It would appear the truck model number is CF351 and K18 is the radio van application With the GM code AFX indicating it is a single axle drive (2x4) Cab Over Engine. I am back to wondering if there were other military applications for this "tall boy" body. I have seen mentioned several times the possibility of these being used for small arms repair trucks etc. There is something really intriguing about this particular body. I am surprised there were not more of them produced. Perhaps it had to do with making lots of the same things quickly so as to overwhelm the axis powers with numbers. (accidently posted the photo of the ccw I found a while back and I can't figure out how to delete it.)

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The truck I'm getting says K18-C and small arms repair on the data plates. I haven't seen the plates yet as the owner removed them for safe keeping but he called his wife and she read them off to us while I was there.

Now I'm getting sorta froggy to get this thing to the compound and go over it inch by inch!!:jumpin:

zout

Same as oldfart - the grille is the dead giveaway.
The lower grille - almost all you can find are Vertical intakes - as well as the uppers section.
Then you can find where just the upper section goes horizontal - then vice versa on others.

Just for curiosity sake I know I have gotten to at least 3 ends of web pages searches just looking to find at least ONE picture of the identical grille - no luck - Jeepers Creepers is about the closest I have gotten as well.

I do remember some later Hick's coach bodies that had some identical build characteristics - but nothing identical as well.

Some of the early Dodge largers COE's had horizontal grille's but nothing that matches this either.

Closest pics I have found I have emailed them to annoy PB with.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
This ole girl appears to be a rare bird indeed. I'm just hoping the owner can tell me what happened to the brush guard but after 30yrs I doubt it. The bolts for the guard are still finger tight in the mounts so maybe it's just laying around somewhere waiting for me to find it!

Anyhoo...If the rain holds off she should be at the compound within a week...or sooner.:naner:

Oldfart

Wow! So what we have here is a K18 Small Arms Repair Van. That should indicate there were other applications for the K18 beyond the radio van. And someone (two people actually) has indicated that total K18 production (only produced over 2 years) was on the order of 400 vehicles. It would seem that any GMC with that van body is one of very few.

I have found a couple of sources that indicate the 1 1/2 Ton GMC COE to be a G620. Under that G number there are two variants listed. One is simply a 1 1/2 Ton Truck and the other is the K18.

I think the drip rail over the windshield really adds to the look of the vehicle.

May the weather gods blow dry wind and sunshine your way (what kind of truck is in the background of one of your photos, could it be another treasure?)

steelypip

Given the small production run, I bet the brush guards were fabricated mostly by hand with a few hardwood jigs and a band iron bender and either riveted or gas welded. With a supply of the same dimension stock and some careful measurements it should be reproduceable.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Given the small production run, I bet the brush guards were fabricated mostly by hand with a few hardwood jigs and a band iron bender and either riveted or gas welded. With a supply of the same dimension stock and some careful measurements it should be reproduceable.
That's prolly what we'll have to do...plus it looks weird as all get out!!!

Another Ahab

REAL late to the game here, and haven't even had the time to catch it all up:

- But that item is a FIND. What a Beaut!

And welcome stinsonb17, from up here in the grand old Commonwealth of Virginia.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB I think you have your work cut out for you on this build as in anything. So treat it as it should be, and by God keeps us posted we are really interested in this.
I will Sir, but she will have to wait her turn.
The immediate priority is to recover her, blast her and get some primer/paint on her to stabilize her.

When I actually went to see this truck she just screamed "save me"!!! And so we shall.

glassk

I will Sir, but she will have to wait her turn.
The immediate priority is to recover her, blast her and get some primer/paint on her to stabilize her.

When I actually went to see this truck she just screamed "save me"!!! And so we shall.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Maintenance_Manual_GMC_1_1_2_ton_4x2_Mod.html?id=MVobtwAACAAJ

[h=1]Maintenance Manual, GMC 1 1/2-ton 4x2, Model CF-351[/h]

Yellow Truck & Coach Manufacturing Company. General Motors Truck & Coach Division
1942 - GMC truck

Google has everything,...

glassk

By the way Papabear, I'd be up for a road trip if you have some timeline, If for nothing but a cameraman, Just let me know,...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
By the way Papabear, I'd be up for a road trip if you have some timeline, If for nothing but a cameraman, Just let me know,...
Wanna PM your cell #?? I forgot to ask you yesterday.

Oh...and I need a case of that sauce. MB likes it and several drivers want some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks