• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
LOL...oh man, nothing says "I'm a bad---" like needing a winch to deploy and retrieve your spare tire. :)
bad a.... is to pick up your 14.00 or 16.00 when its on a wheel and put it in the bed of your truck. I am sure my body will regret is someday.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bad a.... is to pick up your 14.00 or 16.00 when its on a wheel and put it in the bed of your truck. I am sure my body will regret is someday.
Yes it will! It only takes one stupid thing to tear your back up, and no real way to make it the same again.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Fabricated a center support bracket for my new-to-me 2 piece front driveshaft, dumped in 20 gallons of centrifuged ATF and went cruising

vvwilkins

Fixed ShutterStat from pressurizing my cooling system...Again!... 1 year ago bought a new shutterstat which solved my pressurized cooling system issues (actually, i tried "repairing" the original before reading the posts on SS and subsequently rendered it inoperable - hence the replacement unit) :( ... Well, 3 days ago, big puddle of water under the truck due to over pressurized cooling system. Sinking feeling, head gasket this time? Bypass shutterstat, no issues. Pulled shutterstat today and replaced the end o-ring with a Hydrogenated Nitrile blah blah... (HNBR-green) o-ring... 2 hour test run - no issues, fan works as it should and no big pile of water under trunk; coolant levels normal later in the evening. Shutterstat - Clever - Simple and yet, big pain in the ....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fixed ShutterStat from pressurizing my cooling system...Again!... 1 year ago bought a new shutterstat which solved my pressurized cooling system issues (actually, i tried "repairing" the original before reading the posts on SS and subsequently rendered it inoperable - hence the replacement unit) :( ... Well, 3 days ago, big puddle of water under the truck due to over pressurized cooling system. Sinking feeling, head gasket this time? Bypass shutterstat, no issues. Pulled shutterstat today and replaced the end o-ring with a Hydrogenated Nitrile blah blah... (HNBR-green) o-ring... 2 hour test run - no issues, fan works as it should and no big pile of water under trunk; coolant levels normal later in the evening. Shutterstat - Clever - Simple and yet, big pain in the ....
You can go over to a Horton thermal switch and solenoid and it will prevent any of that ever happening. It also gives you a manual override for better cooldowns and an engine brake if you need one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well. Once again doing tires. Dismounted and mounted 21 - 1400s to 1600s. My air compressor is not happy with me. Replaced some spring brake diaphragms on a 932. Also finished all the new heater ducts, air lines and de mousing the 932. Complete nightmare. Had not started the truck in about a month and she hit on the first spin of the starter at 27 degrees out. Then i played musical trucks in the mudhole trying to get stuff rearranged. and stuck 2 trucks. So those were fun getting them out by myself Just too much rain so far this year.

Ordered a new rear harness for my truck so I will be replacing that tomorrow weather permitting and replacing those 2 worn out "heavy duty" torque rod ends as well. They are so worn out that the axle just moves like its constantly under load. Pretty sad. Will be sending them back to them for them to say they have seen a failure.

Attachments

Ajax MD

On the topic of dog bones, I did the pry test on mine yesterday and they did not tear, nor are any of them torn/broken yet. However, the rubber in the bushings certainly looks dry so I'll be watching them closely while I save up for replacements.

I also greased up the trunnion bearings which escaped my previous attack with the grease gun.

74M35A2

They won't "tear" as per se. As the rubber ages and dries out, it shrinks. As it shrinks, its diameter gets smaller, and it pulls away from the ID of the bushing shell itself. So, in essence, the entire rubber isolator ring becomes detached from the metal bushing shell, which is pressed into the end of the bone (torque rod).

I'm not real fond of the pry test, as they may test OK, but then once they break free they will come off a few sharp turns later. The uppers are the ones you really want to watch, as they are the ones that prevent the axle from rotating. A few here have had them detach, and there is only one per axle, but when it does, the axle housing rotates, breaks the driveshaft coupler, bends the shaft, and can tear all the air brake hoses off. A total mess. I guess the pry test is about all you can to for evaluation though. A lot are coming apart due to the age of these vehicles though.

I replaced all of mine and added retainer plates (drill and tap) for when they detach in the future again another 20 years from now. I had 3 come apart one-by-one on off-roading trips which ended the fun pretty quick. Sucked. Only took 1/4 - 1/2 of a day to remove and replace them all. Can do it with the truck on the ground, all off at once, no problem.

Ajax MD

They won't "tear" as per se. As the rubber ages and dries out, it shrinks. As it shrinks, its diameter gets smaller, and it pulls away from the ID of the bushing shell itself. So, in essence, the entire rubber isolator ring becomes detached from the metal bushing shell, which is pressed into the end of the bone (torque rod).

I'm not real fond of the pry test, as they may test OK, but then once they break free they will come off a few sharp turns later. The uppers are the ones you really want to watch, as they are the ones that prevent the axle from rotating. A few here have had them detach, and there is only one per axle, but when it does, the axle housing rotates, breaks the driveshaft coupler, bends the shaft, and can tear all the air brake hoses off. A total mess. I guess the pry test is about all you can to for evaluation though. A lot are coming apart due to the age of these vehicles though.

I replaced all of mine and added retainer plates (drill and tap) for when they detach in the future again another 20 years from now. I had 3 come apart one-by-one on off-roading trips which ended the fun pretty quick. Sucked. Only took 1/4 - 1/2 of a day to remove and replace them all. Can do it with the truck on the ground, all off at once, no problem.
Yeah, I saw your posts in the archives where you suffered multiple failures. I'm sure that was frustrating.

Everyone keeps mentioning "upper" and "lower" but I'm confused. I'm only seeing a single pair of dog bones per side, under the trunnion bearings/leaf pack. 4 total, but the parts manual does indicate 6. Where are the other two?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, I saw your posts in the archives where you suffered multiple failures. I'm sure that was frustrating.

Everyone keeps mentioning "upper" and "lower" but I'm confused. I'm only seeing a single pair of dog bones per side, under the trunnion bearings/leaf pack. 4 total, but the parts manual does indicate 6. Where are the other two?
Passengers side of the axle. They go from the top of each axle to the reunion behind the leaf springs on the inside of the frame

Ajax MD

My tags arrived yesterday, so I'm road legal now.
I advise drivers to avoid secondary roads in central and southern Maryland. ;)

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I should be happy to be in positive numbers, no matter how low.
Its just a day delay getting to you.

My state had 95% of it's 23m acres that were old growth hardwood forests, oak, maple and quite a bit of walnut. That area was reduced to under 15% in the 1920's and today is just above 20%. Now we have corn, bean, some wheat that grows annually with lots of chemicals, but is barren about 9 months a year. That is over 18,000,000 acres of carbon sink, wind slowing, water holding and timber resource...GONE.

I hear plenty about taxing energy that are high carbon producers, but nearly nothing about removing the trees that slowed and moderated our weather.

Re 5 ton...I looked at the M929 and prayed that the two tires going low do not go flat before it warms up a bit and I can get them aired up. Took CTIS off, so at least I have a chance of keeping them up (new 395's XZL's).

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Its just a day delay getting to you.

My state had 95% of it's 23m acres that were old growth hardwood forests, oak, maple and quite a bit of walnut. That area was reduced to under 15% in the 1920's and today is just above 20%. Now we have corn, bean, some wheat that grows annually with lots of chemicals, but is barren about 9 months a year. That is over 18,000,000 acres of carbon sink, wind slowing, water holding and timber resource...GONE.

I hear plenty about taxing energy that are high carbon producers, but nearly nothing about removing the trees that slowed and moderated our weather.

Re 5 ton...I looked at the M929 and prayed that the two tires going low do not go flat before it warms up a bit and I can get them aired up. Took CTIS off, so at least I have a chance of keeping them up (new 395's XZL's).
TobyS-

I have a question about the larger tires. I notice that many, many people upgrade to larger tires. Many people report a higher top speed, but that it takes longer to get there. Assuming a stock engine, isn't there also a power trade off? Don't you lose some power from trying to turn those enormous meats? Does this reduce the hauling or towing capacity? I would also think that there would be some loss of ability when off-roading.

An assembled, 11.00X20 single wheel weighs around 200lbs. I saw mentioned here that a super single with a big tire weighs 500 lbs. (1000 lbs. per axle) That's 200 lbs. extra on a previously dual'd axle so figure 400 lbs. extra on both formerly dual'd axles and 600 lbs. on the steering axle for a total of 1000 extra lbs. to turn.

I love the look but I've always wondered if there was a hidden cost.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops, I seem to have lost a reply post.

AjaxMD, sorry but I wasn't clear on my model number. I have an M929A2 not an A0 with duals. The 395 is shorter than the 14.00 and not as heavy. I don't think they are 500#...sounds too high (maybe with run flats...no thanks). So my change is to a higher capacity tire, but about 2" shorter. I lose top speed and having a really low governor speed is causing a problem, but for different reasons than tires. I need to turn both fuel and rpm up on this M929A2...made worse by the tires being shorter.

A direct comparison would be the 5 ton A0 with duals and the 5 ton A1. I've had both and the individual running characteristics of the truck engine seemed to have most effect.

The effects you describe are more severe for the deuce. Stopping is the issue that I would be most concerned with when going bigger, but a strong running engine would help.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks