• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

JarheadMtn

Its been more like a year and a half. Bought another 20 acres and have been developing the property doing almost everything myself. Well, septic, electric lines and a 50' X 80' X 16' high barn. Put in a 12' wide by 14' high door so I can bring the 813 inside to work on instead of working out in the snow. I even have a creek that I can fish along with mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose and bear that cross thru. I've completed most of the building so I can slow down a little and get some work done on the 813 and enjoy some of the wildlife. I put scaffolding on the bed of the truck and drove it along side the barn to put the siding on the building. I carried 300 sheets of OSB up for the walls and roof. I'm getting too old for this kind of work!

Attachments

71DeuceAK

Someone and I used an M923A2's bed as a way of making an extension ladder a few feet taller once...I love showing people those pictures just to watch their reactions.

sandcobra164

Welder1 made me a flag bracket today, the truck looks good hoisting Old Glory! My truck quit building air pressure correctly a mile from his shop so it's parked there until the morning. Compressor is pumping so it's likely a blockage of sludge where the copper line meets the frame rail line or the plastic line to the air dryer. I installed a new dryer 2 years ago and have a new filter in the shed, maybe that's the problem. Who knows, glad it's parked in a safe spot and we'll figure it out tomorrow. Time to do some maintenance but it'll be fixed in time for the Leesburg Christmas Parade next weekend.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Made a new mount for my hood so it would sit a little better square on the cab. You can not imagine the vibration a wrongly set hood will give you. Just used 3/8" plate.

Swapped my pumpkin out. Had a bad input shaft bearing, So since it is a rebuild anyway with that I decided to swap it out with another take out unit. Let me tell you. Swapping a pumpkin in the truck is about as much fun as taking a crap in your pants. 5 of the nuts are just a pain to get to and some moron always gets carried away spraying the CARC on everything. Got it swapped out in about 4hrs though. Not too bad of a job. just small tedious things.

Did figure out that i have a good bit of play in the "heavy duty torque rod inserts" that Erik's sells. Lots of movement. They were recently greased as well and the nut is tight on the opposite end. So I will call Erik's tomorrow. I have a natural talent for breaking stuff. You should see what I can do to an Abrams.

Also replaced a E7 brake pedal valve on my truck that was leaking over with the pedal not pressed.

But the week ahead I plan on getting my intercooler and piping all finished up.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Made a new mount for my hood so it would sit a little better square on the cab. You can not imagine the vibration a wrongly set hood will give you. Just used 3/8" plate.

Swapped my pumpkin out. Had a bad input shaft bearing, So since it is a rebuild anyway with that I decided to swap it out with another take out unit. Let me tell you. Swapping a pumpkin in the truck is about as much fun as taking a crap in your pants. 5 of the nuts are just a pain to get to and some moron always gets carried away spraying the CARC on everything. Got it swapped out in about 4hrs though. Not too bad of a job. just small tedious things.

Did figure out that i have a good bit of play in the "heavy duty torque rod inserts" that Erik's sells. Lots of movement. They were recently greased as well and the nut is tight on the opposite end. So I will call Erik's tomorrow. I have a natural talent for breaking stuff. You should see what I can do to an Abrams.

Also replaced a E7 brake pedal valve on my truck that was leaking over with the pedal not pressed.

But the week ahead I plan on getting my intercooler and piping all finished up.
Is that possible with a bed on?

vvwilkins

Swapped 6 New XZL 1600xR20's from War Time Find's for the 26 year old tires previously on the truck. Ok, so it took a couple weekends and several late nights to pull this off. Jeff at WTF provided excellent customer support - even answering text over the weekend; Super nice person - Highly recommended. Truck rides amazing now - best upgrade yet to the rig. Ply-able sidewalls make a huge difference in both on road and Off Road performance. Took the truck to Glamis (Imperial Dunes, CA) the weekend before Thanksgiving. Didn't get a chance to go up "the hill" (Oldsmobile Hill) - will attempt soon. Attached are a couple pics during the rim-split, tire swap. The biggest challenge is getting the bead lock out from the old tire and then inserting into the new tire. Micah Adams has an Excellent YouTube video showing the whole process. Highly recommend watching if you are attempting this task. Modified a ratchet strap to compress the bead locks to facilitate removal/install - the stubby harbor freight jack provides the needed spread to get the bead lock in/out too.
BeadLokStrap.jpgTireSpreader.jpgGlamisShops.jpg

aziator

Swapped 6 New XZL 1600xR20's from War Time Find's for the 26 year old tires previously on the truck. Ok, so it took a couple weekends and several late nights to pull this off. Jeff at WTF provided excellent customer support - even answering text over the weekend; Super nice person - Highly recommended. Truck rides amazing now - best upgrade yet to the rig. Ply-able sidewalls make a huge difference in both on road and Off Road performance. Took the truck to Glamis (Imperial Dunes, CA) the weekend before Thanksgiving. Didn't get a chance to go up "the hill" (Oldsmobile Hill) - will attempt soon. Attached are a couple pics during the rim-split, tire swap. The biggest challenge is getting the bead lock out from the old tire and then inserting into the new tire. Micah Adams has an Excellent YouTube video showing the whole process. Highly recommend watching if you are attempting this task. Modified a ratchet strap to compress the bead locks to facilitate removal/install - the stubby harbor freight jack provides the needed spread to get the bead lock in/out too.
View attachment 749106View attachment 749107View attachment 749108
Those look like a pain in the butt. The beadlocks I got for 16s bolt together, I wonder if I got the wrong ones...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those look like a pain in the butt. The beadlocks I got for 16s bolt together, I wonder if I got the wrong ones...
The bolt together are just a newer style. He has the older original 5 tons. The ones you have are from the LMTV trucks. just made to be easier to install.

Turbo Detroit

Serviced my M543A2 wrecker, Oil, Oil filters, Primary fuel filter, and both secondary fuel filters as well as sandblasting and painting all filter housings and installing new drain petcocks.

Attachments

Last edited:

tucker79

New wheel cylinders, boots, wheel bearing, wheel bearings and did I mention wheel bearings. Im a little concerned about one of my front spindles, had a **** of a time getting the drum off and find some scratches and pitting where my outer bearing rides. some debris must have worked its way in there. Seems the 1600s are much harder on that outer bearing, spindle and brakes for that matter. Next on the list throw out bearing been screaming for a while now. I have a brand new in the crate transmission and transfercase. I dont know where this growling is coming from so just gonna start fresh just a little scared what carnage I may find in there.

MAdams

vvwilkins, glad my video helped. I learned the hard way not to leave the bead lock compressed over night. It will stay compressed and not want to fit into the tire. I'm in San Dimas if you ever need any help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks