• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t believe I have it, I’m interested now
Look at the throttle arm on the side of your pump.IMG_5323.jpg Originally the throttle linkage was connected at the second hole up, from my pinky finger, on the new part it is moved all the way out to the end of the arm.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post up an ad in the wanted section. Someone used to have a pile of them, unfortunately I think it was a member who has since passed? I’ll try to dig up the NSN for the kit after a bit. Wouldn’t be too hard to make...

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds good. if we had dimensions it wouldnt be hard to make at all

wouldnt be hard to put one on a printer and scan it lol

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive got a few BC 400 units I know you need
Yeh, Ive watched a few cheap civilian truck come and go, timing and location hasn’t been right yet for me to go pick one up yet. I have a list of excuses that rivals your high horsepower nemesis’ list...

I probably need to keep an eye out for a better transfer case also.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds good. if we had dimensions it wouldnt be hard to make at all

wouldnt be hard to put one on a printer and scan it lol
Minus some common hardware, this is the meat of what was replaced by the kit.IMG_5325.jpgIMG_5326.jpg all three original parts would be easy to modify. I’ll try to search up a past tread and post some dimensions and these instructions, hopefully in the next couple of day.

jaws4518

Cold Beer
It is amazing how my M929 captures people's attention. I think it's the camou paint scheme and desert tan rims. Everywhere I go I get complements about how cool my truck looks. I didn't intend for it to look this way, but that's how it is... It's a working ranch truck for pasture improvement projects. I have been asked to show up at car shows and other events in my home town. I haven't done the parade tour yet, but I will when I get XM818 King Cab finished. Maybe I will paint the 818 camou too.

20171012_111256.jpg 20150729_121331.jpg20150729_121315.jpg 20161118_153109.jpg 20170204_155613.jpg

Anyway, I welded a chain hook to very back bed cross member. I raised the bed and winched a 1000lb safe into it with ease using a Harbor Freight 1-ton chain hoist. I was going to take pictures of it but forgot. Usually I have to get the Kubota SVL-90 track loader to left stuff like that. Now I know how to handle that spare tire up & down with ease.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks good. since you seem to have both trucks let me ask you a question. Why would AM General move an easy-ish air filter box on the M809s to a more difficult space on the M939s under the cab? Also why did they move the exhaust from the front of the cab to the rear of the cab? I ask the second one cause i prefer the exhaust in the front lol.

162tcat

looks good. since you seem to have both trucks let me ask you a question. Why would AM General move an easy-ish air filter box on the M809s to a more difficult space on the M939s under the cab? Also why did they move the exhaust from the front of the cab to the rear of the cab? I ask the second one cause i prefer the exhaust in the front lol.
Exhaust was likely moved to make the truck quieter. Air intake was moved because of the Tilt Hood.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you aren't planning on doing any fording you can easily fab up an intake on the passengers side of the engine compartment inside. Sort of like a ram air system. Just relocate you heater intake duct. (which you should probably do anyway so you get warmer air into your heater core over ice cold air outside.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust was likely moved to make the truck quieter. Air intake was moved because of the Tilt Hood.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
If you aren't planning on doing any fording you can easily fab up an intake on the passengers side of the engine compartment inside. Sort of like a ram air system. Just relocate you heater intake duct. (which you should probably do anyway so you get warmer air into your heater core over ice cold air outside.

thanks guys for the info.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found a transmission cooler like I wanted. I've wanted to add one for a while but finding one the right size, with the right flow requirements and equipped with a fan has been difficult.

This is actually a cooler for a hydraulic system but it works perfect for this as well. The cooler is made by Thermal Dynamics. The cooler deminsions: 14" tall x 17" wide x 3" thick. The cooler is all aluminum and very heavy duty. The inlet and outlet are 1-1/4" NPT.

It comes with a 24v Spal brushless 11" fan that is rated at 980cfm and is configured as a puller fan. The fan also has a shroud that encloses the entire cooler. The fan only draws 5A and 24vdc.

20180727_184016.jpg

20180727_184030.jpg

I wanted this to be mounted in the spare tire rack since it's not used for anything. It does receive some natural airflow from under the cab and the fan handles the rest.

The mount was made from some 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron, 2"x2"x1/4" square tubing and 4"x1/4" C-channel.

20180802_153042.jpg

20180803_131818.jpg

The original transmission lines are -12 JIC. I used some stainless 1-1/4" MNPT x 3/4" FMPT bushings to get the ports to a resonable size. I then used some stainless 3/4" NPT x -12 JIC elbows to make the connection. I had 2 new lines made. One was 60" and connects to the transmission and the other was 50" and connects to the original line going to the heat exchanger using a JIC to JIC connector.

20180802_153205.jpg

20180803_140942.jpg

20180809_190840.jpg

20180803_140006.jpg

The inlet for the cooler goes to the top transmission port. This is the "converter out" port and sends the oil directly to the cooler once it leaves the converter. Oil then goes through the cooler, through the outlet, and on to the heat exchanger. Once through the exchanger, it goes back to the transmission.

20180810_112637.jpg

20180810_112651.jpg

Theres a reason I did this and I'll elaborate more when I have more temperature comparisons in a couple of weeks. As of now though, it has already exceeded my high expectations on a few short runs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks