• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Ajax MD

Glamour for sure. The vertical "paddle" on your bumper looks like an antenna. What kind of radio system is it for? Do you actually use it?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Ajax MD

I also have a "show" antenna. I sed to have an original wood one, but the local trees broke it. I have additional sections for this newer one too
Hi Whata,

I was able to get the speedometer angle drive out of the transfer case (from my previous post). Once I had decent lighting, I was able to see how it goes together.
The sprag air hoses are dry and terrible so I'm having a new set made this afternoon. I hope to be healed up in time to put the new transfer in this weekend.

I'm originally from due west of you, in Ft. Myers.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear Ajax MD, I see you have heavy moving to do with your vehicle, may I share some of the simple imlemets I use to assist me in such work: crowbars, different legnths, moving bars, ( real long steel bars) plumbing black pipes , both 1 1/2" and 2" nominal size, five foot lengths
engine hoist. bottle jacks, and a 7/32 chain, 100' long, series 100. with grab hooks. Also a roller come-a-long, 1 1/2 ton

Ajax MD

Got 'er did.

Well, here's hoping the boys at Tobyhanna were on their "A" game when they rebuilt this transfer case in 1994.

I had a momentary panic when the fill plug wouldn't bust free, but I got it. (Imagine mounting a new transfer but being unable to put fluid in it?)

It's installed, the truck is 99.5% reassembled. I put a little air tool oil in the air lines. I think that might have been a good move. When I shifted rev/1st, the air noise was very muted as if the sprag cylinder was stuck but after several shifts, began to sound normal. The transfer was very grumpy about getting out of neutral the first time. The shift action is much less sloppier than the old transfer case. The lever no longer hits the floor AND the bottom of the seat.

I cautiously moved the truck up and down the driveway in low and high ranges. The shift action is getting less sticky. There were no grinding, groaning or howling noises from the new transfer. The tunnel is not re-installed, so I was able to look and listen to everything. All seems normal, so far. The parking brake is out of adjustment and I ran out of daylight, so that's tomorrow's job. I'll put the tunnel and seat back together, and take a careful road test.

I appreciate all the advice from folks here and the house call from Scrounger. Wes' explanation of how to chain up the new transfer to get it out of the can was also helpful. I also replaced the sprag air lines as suggested. They were badly cracked.

Ajax MD

Successful test drive around town this morning. I'll call it officially "fixed."

Looking forward to resuming deferred routine maintenance... and rolling into the local Ace to buy a few tons of fuel for my pellet stove.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the fuel tank off my dump. Has a bunch of what I assume is algae in it. Going to try to clean it out and then treat with some biocide.20190925_105226.jpg20190925_105203.jpg

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that too the first time I saw that in my tank. The white sludge is just oxidation from the coating on the steel.

Another Ahab

some of the simple imlemets I use to assist me in such work: crowbars, different legnths, moving bars, ( real long steel bars) plumbing black pipes , both 1 1/2" and 2" nominal size, five foot lengths
Working construction as a younger buck, whatadeuce, we called those five and six foot-length bars the "misery sticks".

Right handy when you needed them, absolutely, but they could sure wear you out using them a while.

:jumpin:

OrneryOrr

This week I replaced the lenses for the side marker lights on my '83 M923. Two of the lights were corroded badly so I replaced with new lights from Big Mikes Motorpool. Left rear side marker wasn't working still but I discovered that I had power at the plug behind the taillight so figured that the short wire must be shot. New 14 gauge military wire and packard connectors should be here tomorrow to make a new wire to connect the side marker.

Replaced the bulb in the right rear tailight so now I have a right turn signal at the rear.

I don't have brake lights. Read through the field manual and ordered a new brake switch. Will be installing when it shows up.

Novus polish showed up yesterday so tomorrow I'll be polishing the front turn signal lenses and rear tailight lenses to get rid of the haze and buildup that's on them. Cheaper than buying new lenses.

Discovered that the transmission pan had a lot of oil residue. Appears to be the pan gasket. Will be doing that in upcoming weeks.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that too the first time I saw that in my tank. The white sludge is just oxidation from the coating on the steel.
I wasn't sure what it is. When wet, it's slimey. When dry, it almost feels like flour. It's plugged up the filters before. And it's running like it's doing it again.

I have a new set of filters to go in after the cleaning. I only run straight diesel now, but for a little while I was using some old gas, oil, etc. I'm also concerned that my top plate gasket is leaking and letting water in due to a slight halo of damp/oilyness around it. Going to make a new gasket while it's apart.

I don't know much about the algae, but was assuming the the water getting in mixed with the not ideal fuel was causing it to grow.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Novus polish showed up yesterday so tomorrow I'll be polishing the front turn signal lenses and rear tailight lenses to get rid of the haze and buildup that's on them. Cheaper than buying new lenses.
Did you ever use the stuff before?

Does it work well, no learning curve?

Did I ask enough questions?!! Need more???!!!!!!!

77 AMG

I took mine to a local car show, changed out the sun destroyed reflectors with some from for driveway marker sticks (got that idea in a thread somewhere around here...) and mounted and used my side storage box for car show duty.
Hmm. Looks like something has changed. I can't add pictures currently. I keep getting a "Steel Soldiers say this is an invalid file" message...

Last edited:

Ajax MD

I found that the parking brake needed more adjustment, so took care of that.
Wiper motor air hoses are rotten so I'll scare up some replacements tomorrow.

I took another 30 minute drive with plenty of shifting, some shallow hills and plenty of stops/starts at stop signs. The truck behaved absolutely perfectly but after the transfer case mess, I'm really having trouble unwinding my sphincter. I should relax, right?

More record heat predicted in the upcoming days. I'll keep working on the truck but I'm not going to roast myself.

Ajax MD

Hm...you can polish those lenses but if they're sun faded, there's no help for that.

I bought my truck last December so it was too cold to play with water to de-grease the engine and running gear. I was told to blast everything clean and then observe over time and see what's leaking. Yesterday, I did exactly that and we'll see what leaks. I know the old saying "No fluids under it, no fluids in it" but the truck seems pretty dry. All fluids are topped up but it doesn't leak a drop on the ground.

I have a metal wiper motor (Trico Folberth) that only swipes in one direction. It doesn't reset to swipe the other direction. If I operate it by hand, without air, it makes a click/spring noise at the end of each swipe. I tried Google with limited success. Anyone ever rebuild one of these?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks