• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Amer-team

Moved the NW Chapter of the Gamewardens of Vietnam M931A2 from Kent, WA to Chehalis yesterday, for tomorrow's open house, depending on snow. Of course we picked nearly the coldest day of the year, so the batteries weren't having any of this starting stuff. It has been parked at Pacific Power in Kent. They are doing a rebuild on one of the Patrol Boat engines. Well someone had moved the truck since I saw it two months ago. They pulled the range lever up and it was in neutral. After much lube spray, beating with a large hammer, prying and questioning of parentage, it finally went in gear. Another maintenance project, soon. The 81 mile trip was uneventful, cruised about 50 - 54 MPH. Slowed a bit on a couple of hills due to the 16,000 pounds that was following me, plus trailer. It was a nice, cool sunshiney day for a ride. Just got word, tomorrow's Open House will be cancelled due to threat of snow.

Attachments

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I insured and registered my truck,checked the fluids, adjusted the windshield spray so as to hit the window, fixed the passenger seat. then took my wife for her first trip to HD to pick up supplies for the home. looked over the operators manual TM 9-2320-272-10.

Valor

I had a look at my heater core. It looked good. I added some cushioning on the bottom to keep it from banging around inside the heater box. It should last a good while. Now I have to get those 2 bolts that mount the diagonal bracket to the firewall to thread into something. I know they were tight when they came out! I had the same problem mounting my protective control box on the driver's side of the firewall. While I was messing with all that, I noticed one of my front axle boots was leaking. Hmm. Maybe time to replace that. Not looking forward to doing that. I'll wait for the weather to warm up some and the wind to stop blowing. All in all, it was a good day.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shoveled a path out to my truck to test the new-to-me wheel chocks in their racks.

20190209_175040.jpg 20190210_134855.jpg

I added some rubber Edge-Lok trim to my AM-1780 since it will be mounted up and behind everyone's head.

20190210_142443.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Logged 1800 miles Thursday thru Sunday morning. Drug a 923 home along the way and carried an LMTV to Dallas.

Got home today about noon and installed a new LED bar on the rear of my truck. Installed the Trucklite lollipop lights up on the bumper cause i needed a little more for those dark windy roads. Also put a bigger intake tube on the air filter. Replaced the rear valve cover gasket as well.

Also did some lighting work on my trailer.

Attachments

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Logged 1800 miles Thursday thru Sunday morning. Drug a 923 home along the way and carried an LMTV to Dallas.

Got home today about noon and installed a new LED bar on the rear of my truck. Installed the Trucklite lollipop lights up on the bumper cause i needed a little more for those dark windy roads. Also put a bigger intake tube on the air filter. Replaced the rear valve cover gasket as well.

Also did some lighting work on my trailer.
What is that on the right side of the bumper sticking up in the air?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a new M816 flood light switch and data plate on my M813 for future off-road lights or light bar.
20190223_102121.jpg

I went at it from the passenger side trying to pop the knockout out and I got stuck in my cab. I couldn't move forward or backward, had the tranny shifter up my jacket, the t-case shifter in my left pocket, and the winch lever jabbing into my hip. I got freed finally but it took some effort & a few muscle spasm to do it...

Ajax MD

I installed a new M816 flood light switch and data plate on my M813 for future off-road lights or light bar.
View attachment 756758

I went at it from the passenger side trying to pop the knockout out and I got stuck in my cab. I couldn't move forward or backward, had the tranny shifter up my jacket, the t-case shifter in my left pocket, and the winch lever jabbing into my hip. I got freed finally but it took some effort & a few muscle spasm to do it...
Meanwhile, your cell phone is going off in your pocket and you can't reach it... ;)

Ajax MD

I have the complete set of belts, hoses and water pump gasket needed for a coolant flush and refresh of those parts.

One of my axle boots recently split, so I'm taking this as an omen that I should dive into the steering axle earlier than planned to inspect brakes, re-pack bearings, inspect seals and replace boots. I just ordered a complete set of boots and clamps, hub gaskets and axle oil seals.

Based on the TM and the year of my truck, I'm getting pretty certain that I have the ball-and-claw type of front axle and I'll need prodigious amounts of grease to fill the knuckle.

If I could stop working OT and the weather would dry up, I could actually get started on some of this stuff.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Logged around 9500 miles since i last was home. Moved some things around. Florida twice. New York twice. Was able to avoid some of the bad weather by going up and around it in the Adirondacks. Hit some 40 to 60mph winds in Western NY though. Wasn't much fun pulling 20lbs of boost consistently with a headwind and a good bit of blowing snow.

Had a few issues along the way. Stopped one night and pulled the jakes off and figured to run the overhead while i was in there and replaced the jake box gaskets and valve cover gaskets as they were leaking pretty bad. Had a transmission leak as well from a bellhousing access panel so i replaced that gasket as well.

Did a bunch of brainstorming for a rear bogie swap to a Mk48 unit with the RS/DS 580 axles for a 58k rear. With a frame reinforcement of course.

Fabbing up a dual Y transfer air system for dual air filters as I ordered an HT4B turbo today for under $800 and has a 2yr warranty. So I will need some more air. Should be interesting.

And I will change the oil. been about 20k since the last time.

Attachments

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Logged around 9500 miles since i last was home. Moved some things around. Florida twice. New York twice. Was able to avoid some of the bad weather by going up and around it in the Adirondacks. Hit some 40 to 60mph winds in Western NY though. Wasn't much fun pulling 20lbs of boost consistently with a headwind and a good bit of blowing snow.

Had a few issues along the way. Stopped one night and pulled the jakes off and figured to run the overhead while i was in there and replaced the jake box gaskets and valve cover gaskets as they were leaking pretty bad. Had a transmission leak as well from a bellhousing access panel so i replaced that gasket as well.

Did a bunch of brainstorming for a rear bogie swap to a Mk48 unit with the RS/DS 580 axles for a 58k rear. With a frame reinforcement of course.

Fabbing up a dual Y transfer air system for dual air filters as I ordered an HT4B turbo today for under $800 and has a 2yr warranty. So I will need some more air. Should be interesting.

And I will change the oil. been about 20k since the last time.
So what you have done to your 5 ton is........shut it off finally

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks