• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

jaws4518

Cold Beer
So i finally was able to move my M927A2 to a better more secure storage area and it was cheaper! Just some things that i noticed that after i moved it.
the throttle cable was broken inside the cab and ill probably have to replace the whole thing
View attachment 737383

Found some foam on the ground under the engine so i pulled it open to see this. great got to pull that out too.
View attachment 737384View attachment 737385

Noticed a nice little nest that a lil birdie must have made. Sorry i moved your home.
View attachment 737386View attachment 737388

need to replace the rubber mounts, looks like they are pretty degraded.
View attachment 737389

either this bastard built a nest overnight or flew after me for 30 plus miles.
View attachment 737390

now it makes sense why the ether wouldnt work, its not attached to anything other than the button inside the cab.
View attachment 737391

here is my daily driver next to my 5 ton. thought there would be a bigger size difference.
View attachment 737392[/QUOTE

Nice! Run that ether line down that tube and push the button. :recovry4x4:

Phoenix MB

Hello friends!
I need your advice...very quick! I'm going to change the wheels on my M923 from 11.00 to offroad singles. My salesman offers me Michelin XZL in 395/85R20 incl. aluminum-rims from Hutchinson for 400 EUR / 360 USD instead of Michelin XZL 14.00R20. He told me that the support on the 395/85 is much better, because the 14.00 dimensions aren't produced anymore.

What are other differences between these dimensions 14.00 vs 395/85???

Please send me a PM. Thanks by advance and sorry if I posted this at the wrong place!

Regards from Germany!!!

tobyS

Phoenix.....Load rating on the 395 XZL is 12,300 lbs max and the GY 14.00 is around 9,750 lbs. The 395 is a couple inches shorter.

I had GY 14.00 AT-2 on my M929A2 and hated them, they had taken an egg shape from sitting flat. I was prepared to go back to duals as it was unstable with a load. I put on the 395 XZL that I had purchased for my deuce and I was pleasantly surprised that they were both round and held a load better on the dump truck. I had to disable the CTIS and use new valves + orings, but finally have a truck not sitting with one or more flats. 7 tires is some serious money.

I believe you should have a bead lock in them for running low pressure off road but not a run flat.

I'm not sure about the aluminum rims... ?? Do they have the right stud/nut hole like the steel wheel?

$360 on a wheel does not seem to be a bad price. Mine cost $225 + shipping + value of rim ( about 100) + mounting...so if that is a mounted price, it's seems fair.

Last edited:

jaws4518

Cold Beer
I bought my 929 dump with those GY 14.00 X, or XL on it. I replaced them with the 395/85 XZL and it runs smooth. I like the 46" tire much better. Mine came with run-flat. Since I haul with it, I'm glad to have them on board. I ruined a rear wheel with the GY 14.0. The tire shredded to pieces in 1/4 mile.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my 929 dump with those GY 14.00 X, or XL on it. I replaced them with the 395/85 XZL and it runs smooth. I like the 46" tire much better. Mine came with run-flat. Since I haul with it, I'm glad to have them on board. I ruined a rear wheel with the GY 14.0. The tire shredded to pieces in 1/4 mile.
I always planned on going bigger vs smaller with the 395s. Out of curiosity can you post some pictures?

jaws4518

Cold Beer
20170310_091250.jpg
old GY 49s

20171012_111256.jpg
new 395/85 XZLs

I can take a close pic if you need one. Talk to Jeff @wartimefinds.com in Bells, Tx. He's got a stock pile of 95% XZL for $150.00 each. You can go new w/combat rim for $500.00 each. He went up on price a couple of years ago. I got lucky and paid $350.00 each. I don't know... he might do a deal. Hope this helps!

jaws4518

Cold Beer
View attachment 737503
old GY 49s

View attachment 737504
new 395/85 XZLs

I can take a close pic if you need one. Talk to Jeff @wartimefinds.com in Bells, Tx. He's got a stock pile of 95% XZL for $150.00 each. You can go new w/combat rim for $500.00 each. He went up on price a couple of years ago. I got lucky and paid $350.00 each. I don't know... he might do a deal. Hope this helps!
Oh, I think 395s fit better and look better. More balanced for the size of the truck. Actually, the 395s weigh 100+ more pounds than the GY. I think they are 500lb with run flat installed.

Phoenix MB

Hi friends!

Thanks a lot for your quick replies and advices. My salesman helped me finding a decision...he ran out of 14.00 wheels and do he offered a great deal to me. Buying 7 Michelin XZL in 395/85 on used aluminum rims all incl.for 2.500 EUR (it's about 2,200.00 USD).

I love the look of the 14.00 wheels, but I do see the better performance the newer little smaller 395/85 offer to the vehicle.

If I'm lucky, I'll receive my new 395/85 next Saturday so they can be mounted. I'll post pics here asap.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your support and sharing your knowledge with me, a foreign guy from the other side of the "pond".

Phoenix MB

View attachment 737503
old GY 49s

View attachment 737504
new 395/85 XZLs

Hi!
Thanks for your pics. I already placed my order and I'm afraid that I will need to pay a lot for shipping and taxes to get the wheels to Germany.
Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your suggestion. :)
Greetings,

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Prepping the truck for the sled pull and tug of war tomorrow, also ordered a new throttle pull cable and emergency shutdown cable as the shutdown broke the day I bought it and the throttle lock snapped going to Montgomery a couple months ago

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Prepping the truck for the sled pull and tug of war tomorrow, also ordered a new throttle pull cable and emergency shutdown cable as the shutdown broke the day I bought it and the throttle lock snapped going to Montgomery a couple months ago
Dont call me when your crap breaks to drag you home

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the truck to the car show at my work, and won a trophy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NICE! Always good to see the MV beat out the high dollar sports cars. The NRA car show in next month. I have never been. I live down the road from headquarters here in northern VA. They caught a picture of my 5-ton so I have been offered a parking space at the front door of the building at the show. Now all i need is a tank!

The beer on the other hand...needs some improvement.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Elijah, do you have the throttle linkage MWO on your a2? I did mine after finding a kit at Findlay this year, money well spent, no more temptation to drive with the hand throttle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks