• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Thanks, Ahab. The winch is functional, but, a little bit cranky to use as the PTO shaft has a slight curve in it, due to a mishap somewhere back in the past. I really need to pull the cable and oil it, as it looks pretty dry.
Watch out for "them" steel splinters! They can be nasty.

Last edited:

77 AMG

Yeah, I *know*. I've dealt with steel cable of and on over the years, and, I have come to really appreciate a good set of heavy leather gloves when working with that stuff!

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dear 77AMG, you might consider a different way to lube the cabe, place a large pan under where the cable is, and then pour your used motor oil all over the spool od cabel. Be thorough with this, and the oil will penetrate all of the cable.

Attachments

Anvilface

Hey everybody,

I haven't posted in quite a while. I've been working 80+ hours a week getting our trucks up to snuff for hurricane season, and just barely made it for Hurricane Dorian. We did get to deploy them during the storm and they worked fantastically! There are a couple of videos on the Sheriff's Office website if you want to check em out...one is one of our M923 (with and after market cab), and the other is our RG31...both moving some trees..

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NewHanoverSO/videos/?ref=page_internal

Now that the storm is over and things are settling down, I have to complete my federal inventories for the LESO program. I have two General Mechanics Tool Kits (GMTK) and during the chaos most of the tools ended up in a couple of buckets..or scattered. If anybody has an inventory list for a GMTK I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Chad

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my 813 to a car show 40 miles away and a heater fitting sprung a leak when I was 10 miles out. I showed up at the show with antifreeze spewing all over the place. The truck definitely made an entrance but not the kind I would have preferred. Fortunately and hardware store was 30 feet away so a pipe plug fixed the issue.
20190907_103434.jpg
20190907_201239.jpg
20190907_183922.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

vvwilkins

Installed a Sherpa 25,000lb 24v electric winch on my M923A2. Used 4"X6"x5/16 Angle Iron and 5/16" plate for the main mount. Also Thick-wall DOM tube to replace the factory tube connecting the bottom/top frame rails. Used 9/16" grade 8 bolts through out.

winch brackets 2.jpg
THOR Winch Plate 2.jpg
THOR Winch2.jpg
THOR Winch 1.jpg
If you have any questions - I'm glad to help.

Attachments

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! THese are certainly examples of top quality work. Im sure everyone in your command thinks the same too. Nothing beats a military truck like these 1

Spyderman

Got my friends truck and trailer over here to very some work done on our before we head to the machine gun shoot.

Sent from my webslinger using Tapatalk

Truck’s fuel lines were sucking air and I tracked it down to a few cracked flexible lines.
Pulled the fuel tank selector valve out to replace the 6 fuel lines attached and the large filter to pump line.
Built/assembled all the lines/fittings tonight, will hopefully get the ‘stock’ lines off the valve without too much cursing (the thread seem pretty nasty) tomorrow and if I’m feeling ambitious, maybe re-installed.

Attachments

Ajax MD

After staring at the truck and the parts all summer, I am probably going to attempt to swap the new transfer case into my M813 this weekend.

I bought a low profile, 2-ton transmission jack, and a 2-ton engine hoist to shuttle the transfer cases between the shipping can and the transmission jack.
The rafters of my garage will not withstand the loads of a chain fall, so this is how it has to be done.
I'm in the Annapolis area, so if anyone wants to drink beer, point at stuff and say clever things like "You're doing it wrong" you're welcome to come over. I'll put out lawn chairs and cooler for you if you promise to keep your phone dialed to 9-1- with your finger over the final digit. :p

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After staring at the truck and the parts all summer, I am probably going to attempt to swap the new transfer case into my M813 this weekend.

I bought a low profile, 2-ton transmission jack, and a 2-ton engine hoist to shuttle the transfer cases between the shipping can and the transmission jack.
The rafters of my garage will not withstand the loads of a chain fall, so this is how it has to be done.
I'm in the Annapolis area, so if anyone wants to drink beer, point at stuff and say clever things like "You're doing it wrong" you're welcome to come over. I'll put out lawn chairs and cooler for you if you promise to keep your phone dialed to 9-1- with your finger over the final digit. :p
Ok rookie. Listen up. You are going to kill yourself doing it on the ground. trucks are tall. Jacks in the civilian cheap world will kill you as well.

Easy way to do this is going to be to unbolt the bed and unplug the wire harness plugs. Hook a chainfall to the rear of the bed and to a stationary pickup truck and slowly pull it backwards. Will slide easily. This is a 30min chore to do this. Put the case to install on a creeper or some roller platform. You will need a spare creeper as well if you have one. If not that is fine. Next step put your engine hoist and anything like a spare tire or just some weight for the rear of the the hoist. Crane over the front of the bed. Use the chainfall to lift the transfer case. Spin it sideways and let it down using the chain fall and the hoist. Remember to have the hoist in a decent raised height so it can lower in case the chain fall is too short to reach the ground. Set it on the creeper and roll out or just put a chain thru the eyelit and pull it out with a pickup truck...

Install in reverse order. You can use the chainfall on the soft top tiedowns to pull the bed back forward. It does not need to go back much to do the job. Maybe the fender flares touching the front tandem tires. This is the easiest way to do it if you are inexperienced and not a strong person. I am the gorilla type that i could muscle it up in there by hand. You dont want to mess with 650plus pounds if you arent capable of it. Especially over your head and you are in a vulnerable weak spot on your knees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks