• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you need to remove the metal line from the top of the air compressor. You need to have it off when the pressure reaches 120psi and see if you have air coming out of it at that psi.
Im sorry, could you explain this a little. not sure how id have it off and test its pressure at the same time. thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Im sorry, could you explain this a little. not sure how id have it off and test its pressure at the same time. thanks.
The governor releases air it gets from the PPV when it hits 120psi or whatever its setting its sends air to the unloader on the compressor and it turns the compressor off. You do not need to measure the pressure you only need to see if it is sending air to the unloader. You will be able to hear the air rush out of the line. The air system will build air properly with the line off since it does not get air until the governor hits its set release pressure

77 AMG

Is that an in-line 8 (last pic)? That's nice.

What's the story there?
1938 Buick street rod with the ORIGINAL straight-8, Solex carb, HEI conversion, lake pipe (yes, single) and a small, but nasty sounding cam in it... It *really* got peoples attention when it pulled in!(Needs a header, but, that would be custom spent $$$$ for that engine! :shock:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

1938 Buick street rod with the ORIGINAL straight-8, Solex carb, HEI conversion, lake pipe (yes, single) and a small, but nasty sounding cam in it... It *really* got peoples attention when it pulled in!(Needs a header, but, that would be custom spent $$$$ for that engine! )
Oh, Man, that is sweet.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil. While under there, saw the dreaded peanut butter coming out of a torn boot ... that it seems like I just replaced ... 3 years ago. (They grow up so fast!)

I guess I have a bad seal on that side? Fluid mixing with grease and spilling out of the tear?

I changed the front axle fluid after the Harvey rescues, it was the only axle that got any water in it.

I really don’t want to have to change out those seals ....

Ajax MD

Just ordered the rest of the parts and tools needed to service the front axle:

12 ton jack stands
inner bearing grease seals
wheel bearing lock nut sockets (OTC-1917 & 1919)

I ordered all the other parts a little while ago such as boots, axle oil seas (just in case).

I ordered a new (metal body) wiper motor to replace the defunct plastic motor and a horn button kit because one of the rubber cams lost a tooth and the button keeps trying to fly off.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt mine, waste of time and money continued to leak, Replaced it with a Mrap air dryer if i remember right, Got it here was direct bolt in better unit , never had an issue in 3 years since
You wouldn't happen to remember what the part # for that Mrap air dryer unit you used was do you??

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got my tire break down hammer in. I get to test it this week and see if it was worth the $50 on Amazon....
If it doesnt then the stanley 36" crowbar from Home depot is made as a pressure bar for breaking down tires. it wedges under one side of the wheel great while applying pressure to the opposite side of the tire when you hit it it breaks both sides at once.

I just started using it. It broke the bead on 8 LMTV combat wheels on the first hit on both sides. I was like yeah something isn't right till i actually looked at what the bar was forcing on.

Ajax MD

Now this is a socket:

Bought my supply of pellet fuel for the winter. It only took me 2 hours to fetch them and unload them into my garage when it normally takes at least 4 trips through the winter in my Outback. This was a big convenience and time saver.

It's a trick threading that truck through downtown Annapolis traffic. Much respect to 18-wheelers who make regular deliveries to all the shops in cities. Since the truck is still relatively new to me, I made sure to perform a careful pre-trip inspection before I headed out, especially the brakes.

Attachments

Another Ahab

It's a trick threading that truck through downtown Annapolis traffic. Much respect to 18-wheelers who make regular deliveries to all the shops in cities. Since the truck is still relatively new to me, I made sure to perform a careful pre-trip inspection before I headed out, especially the brakes.
And then you have to admire those drivers backing those rigs into alleys and the like:

- Hats Off!!

77 AMG

Thank you for the praise, Ajax MD and Ahab. It can get pretty challenging at times, what with where we have to go, let alone back up a circus that is normally around 73 feet long. Small, OLD places like you find on the Northern East coast are chock full of those places! (Oh, so <many> choice words for the "original" old cities over there........... NYC, Philly, et al.)

Ajax MD

Thank you for the praise, Ajax MD and Ahab. It can get pretty challenging at times, what with where we have to go, let alone back up a circus that is normally around 73 feet long. Small, OLD places like you find on the Northern East coast are chock full of those places! (Oh, so <many> choice words for the "original" old cities over there........... NYC, Philly, et al.)

I've always been careful to give ample room in front of semis when passing and getting in front of them but yesterday I did get a small taste of how stupidly passenger car drivers interact with large trucks. It was eye-opening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks