• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Finallygotone

need some help, the left front bearing went out and not it all apart cleaned and primed I put the rear seal and bearing on the Chunk have a problem to get the seal to bottom out on it and there are the two smaller seals guess that is for the air, not sure where they to can someone one help me out please might have a drawing on how it goes, Joe

Another Ahab

need some help, the left front bearing went out and not it all apart cleaned and primed I put the rear seal and bearing on the Chunk have a problem to get the seal to bottom out on it and there are the two smaller seals guess that is for the air, not sure where they to can someone one help me out please might have a drawing on how it goes, Joe
A pic of the assembly might help

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems I have a leaky exhaust manifold

ANyone know if this is the correct number for the Cummins 8.3

Im still searching for the correct TM for the engine

Thank you

Genuine Cummins 3937479 Laminated Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set of six (6)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

77 AMG

Well, I got to talk to a guy that used to work on our trucks, and after explaining the transmission troubles that I have had onset suddenly, he thinks that the clutch may have had the pressure plate go south. Yea. looks like I get to see if there is an inspection plate on the bellhousing tomorrow...

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to tackle my cracked passenger side windshield this weekend using this thread as a guide: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?183190-M35A2-Windshield-Rebuild&highlight=Windshield

Everything went slow but OK. I bought a pneumatic caulk gun which made everything a breeze.
20191102_145620.jpg 20191102_155806.jpg 20191102_162330.jpg

And then I installed the window and it cracked right up the middle when I tried to latch it down. A crack started at the window latch bolt (I must have over tightened it) and now the crack is 4 times bigger than the old piece of glass. And just in time for my first Veteran's Day parade. This could drive a man to drinking (well, drinking more at least)...
20191104_165613.jpg

Finallygotone

Simp5782, I post a reply and it did not show up thanking you, I am going to try and get it finished today, one drawing show two seals one facing in and one facing out, that is what probably keeps the air in the auto inflations system, sure hope so going to give it a try, sure be a lot of work If I am wrong, Mine is a 1990 M399A2, left front wheel, Joe

Another Ahab

And then I installed the window and it cracked right up the middle when I tried to latch it down. A crack started at the window latch bolt (I must have over tightened it) and now the crack is 4 times bigger than the old piece of glass. And just in time for my first Veteran's Day parade. This could drive a man to drinking (well, drinking more at least)...
That crack was going to happen:

- It's because you did SUCH a good job with your "prep"

That's the ways the Gods work. They are always testing us for our humility (and humor). Don't feel bad.

And if you turn to Drink, try water (inexpensive, no hangover, and good for you, too)!

:beer:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once the tears over my cracked window subsided I was able to see well enough to trial fit my new jake brake switch and data plate.
20191105_164635.jpg 20191105_164609.jpg

I'll have more details about these pieces probably in my grenade shifter thread later on. For now I have HubHelpers to work on.

1Sinner

Did the usual first mods. LED headlights, locking door handles, and keyed ignition. Got a marker light out on the passenger side. Anyone have the bulb number handy? And my spring brake emergency air release knob is broken, does anyone know where I can get the right replacement?

Finallygotone

Well still working on the M393A2, got the left hub bearings packed, all the seals, got the brake drum about 2" for being in place, no moving, took it off loosen the shoes, try again, went on, put the wheel on, well did not pay attention when I took it apart that it has to be where it will line up with the Auto Air Inflation junk, all of that wore me out so tomorrow going to go at it again, seem to be a little hard to turn might have to loosen the front brake pad, is there a special adjusting tool for that, that is terrible to get to, have I learned a lot of my first one, guess we all had to learn these things, thanks for the help form you all, Joe

603hellmutt

air lines.jpg
Anyone have Part numbers for these 2 air lines? both of mine have significant chafing and small leaks. Or even dimensions for the hoses and fittings? Also does anyone know what wire number it is for the rear running lights?

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 782095
Anyone have Part numbers for these 2 air lines? both of mine have significant chafing and small leaks. Or even dimensions for the hoses and fittings? Also does anyone know what wire number it is for the rear running lights?
If they are cotton jacket lines then any hydraulic hose shop can remake them.

21 is tail lamps

Ajax MD

Sigh...as normally happens in weak fluid systems when you repair one leak, the next weakest spot usually leaks until you've covered the entire system.

I replaced the main line coming off the compressor and everything was great for one day. Now I have a LARGE leak under the dash. I sprayed Windex glass cleaner (because it makes soapy bubbles) and found the air line to the pressure gauge to be loose and weeping but the BIG leak is high up in there somewhere, and difficult to isolate. My ear is certain that it's under the dash but I couldn't see any bubbles anywhere else.

I got into the engine compartment to make sure I wasn't hearing something on the other side of the firewall, such as the air governor but it's definitely inside the cab, behind the dash, high up. It sounds like it's coming from the T-fitting for the gauge and wiper valve but I didn't see any bubbles when I blasted it. I'll try again this afternoon to isolate the exact point. I'll probably pull the soft line to the air pressure gauge and have a new one made "just because." Dog dangitall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks