• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need some OJ and to take a rest! I wondered how I'd get a shredded tire off of a wheel and the only strategy I could think of, was to use a cut off wheel to cut the tire near at the bead in several locations so I could pull it off the wheel. How did you do it?
I might try bolt cutters for the bead, that way you won’t bugger up your rim. Just a thought.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When it's just a small bead left and not much tire you use your crowbar and drive the bead down with the crowbar flat across the wheel. Unlike if the tire is still attached where you are trying to drive the crowbar in to release the bead from the wheel. With no tire integrity left there is no bead resistance for driving it down

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes just looking at all you do in a month I need a rest and long vacation.
Todays chore was 14s off and 16s on my 923A2.

Now ive got 1400s mounted up in the bed of my truck and headed to put tires on a truck to drag home tomorrow that is on a bunch of flats. Nice 20 hour day tomorrow to Montgomery and back.

Also ran the grease gun on my truck and removed the rear cab bolts and installed some taller bushings and reinstalled that so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Yesterday, I drained off 3 gallons of coolant from the bottom of the radiator.

I was curious to see how much sludge and sediment was in the radiator. I also just wanted to recharge the system with some fresh SCA. This also gave me the opportunity to replace the leaking surge tank hose. There's a lot of sediment in the system. It took 2 full gallons before I started seeing clearer coolant drain out. I used a pre-mix that did not require any water, and was pre-charged with SCA.

This is just temporary until my shipment of new belts arrives. I'll replace all the hoses, belts and coolants as soon as I gather the remaining parts and whenever the weather cooperates. I won't really be driving the truck anywhere until that happens.

I don't want the sediment restricting the flow in the cooling system so some sort of chemical flush is indicated but I don't want to use anything that might harm the cylinder sleeve seals. Any recommendations from the Cummins 250 crowd?

Ajax MD

Replaced the stock civi brake lights with M series lights. Also added an ID bar.
In the early days (2000), my unit had this MOC in a box. Originally, it was designed to be towed using artillery mobilizer wheels on each end. Unfortunately, it was too heavy and the mobilizer hydraulics often failed and in a very unsafe manner, so we put the MOC on a low boy and just kept it there. We towed it with an old, International single cab tractor. Man, that thing was feeble. :)

77 AMG

I *FINALLY* got the chance to see about changing out my shocks for the Gaberials. NO GO!!!!!!!!! The stud mount steps up in size, AND the "stroke" length is wrong, with full compression being the biggest issue, as in NOT enough of it. Crap. I also took a drive on the dark side today.....

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I *FINALLY* got the chance to see about changing out my shocks for the Gaberials. NO GO!!!!!!!!! The stud mount steps up in size, AND the "stroke" length is wrong, with full compression being the biggest issue, as in NOT enough of it. Crap. I also took a drive on the dark side today.....
Which Gabriel's did you use? Mine have been on for over a year now.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did a little 700 mile round trip trek and swapped 4 tires onto this M786A1 TMT and drug it back to Memphis on a towbar. Had 2 blowouts on the tires I decided to leave on the truck so about 2hrs lost changing those out. Nice long day yesterday. Towed well. A little heavy I am gonna say its close to 32k

Ended up breaking a door latch on my truck so I swapped that out and I had a leaking o ring on the CAT output yoke so I dropped the shaft down and replaced it during a fuel stop

Attachments

Ajax MD

Jeebus, when you have a blow out, you don't fool around.

Is this truck extremely rare? I Googled it and couldn't even find any real images of that model, just civilian trucks and earlier military TMT's. It looks very interesting!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Jeebus, when you have a blow out, you don't fool around.

Is this truck extremely rare? I Googled it and couldn't even find any real images of that model, just civilian trucks and earlier military TMT's. It looks very interesting!
Marine corp only. I don't know the exact production but maybe 20 to 50. There is a TM on it. It is an Altec setup though.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool truck, I am storing a truck for a friend that was a Navy truck that has a drill rig on it. It show to be a M925A1 but with on winch, but it has the wet kit on it.
He painted the drill rig white, not sure why.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks