• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little detail; I added the hearing protection warning decal from Big Mike's back onto the dash after the old one got removed. Didn't quite fit between the switch and glove box door like I wanted but it looks good here.

20191110_195341.jpg 20191110_195834.jpg 20191115_170125.jpg 20191115_170129.jpg 20191120_163141.jpg

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yesterday during the "heat wave" in wisconsin (45-50 degrees lol) i continued my work on the fuel system on my M927A2. I removed the fuel tank in order to clean out the particulate that was in there. I wanted to repair the drain valve since it wouldnt even open for me so i had to pump the whole thing out. Does anyone know what material it is made of? Its non-magnetic but seems to be too heavy to be aluminum. Im thinking some type of Stainless steel, can anyone confirm in case i need to weld it? (empty and flushed of course)

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
yesterday during the "heat wave" in wisconsin (45-50 degrees lol) i continued my work on the fuel system on my M927A2. I removed the fuel tank in order to clean out the particulate that was in there. I wanted to repair the drain valve since it wouldnt even open for me so i had to pump the whole thing out. Does anyone know what material it is made of? Its non-magnetic but seems to be too heavy to be aluminum. Im thinking some type of Stainless steel, can anyone confirm in case i need to weld it? (empty and flushed of course)
If it’s a m939 the tanks are either aluminum or stainless can’t remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

Ah, the fun never ends!

Awhile back, I pressure washed the underside of the truck so I could watch and see what leaks spring up. I think I have a minor leak on the steering axle front pinion seal (the unused side). The top of the differential is oily...sort of an even coating as if an oily mist were hitting it. I'm wondering if the wind is blasting the diff with oil streaming out of the seal. It's a "Class 1." No actual drips or runs, nothing hitting the pavement. Just a film of oil.

The other option is that something on the bottom of the engine is dripping down onto the differential. It's not the IP or the oil filter canister, I've checked those. I can't quite tell if it's gear oil or engine oil. If I recall, there are some whopping big hoses coming off the oil pan or engine that have to do with the oil cooler, I think?

I'll get under there and investigate more closely and take some photos.

Another Ahab

Awhile back, I pressure washed the underside of the truck so I could watch and see what leaks spring up. I think I have a minor leak on the steering axle front pinion seal (the unused side).
Identifying the source of leaks (water, oil, whatever), can be a nightmare.

Where it starts and where it ENDS up can boggle the mind.

A1.jpg

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Found an old Mack-Equipped 5 ton tractor with winch! What’s a raggedy thing like this worth nowadays? She was a logging rig for several years.

IMG_3606.jpgIMG_3605.jpgIMG_3604.jpgIMG_3603.jpgIMG_3602.jpgIMG_3601.jpgIMG_3600.jpgIMG_3599.jpgIMG_3598.jpg

pmramsey

Will it run?

I paid $800 at auction for a1965 M54A1 cargo truck that was rebuilt in 1975. It had a rotted out cloth top, broken glass, eat up with rust panel and window frames. It had been pickled 12-years earlier. It had the last version of the Mack ENDT-673 engine, Spicer tranny upgrade direct-drive to 5-speed overdrive, new axles, and the newer power steering found on the M809 trucks. Working from an old 2.5 gallon clorox bottle as a fuel tank, replaced fuel lines, filters, new oil, borrowed batteries, and a cleaner radiator, it fired up on the first try, albeit, with a bit of puckering on my part. It ran. Everyday it ran. Finally, I tried driving around the field. Each time the engine got stronger, After a couple of weeks of this I decided I had the makings of a good truck. $10,000 later in parts plus a boat load of labor, I have a truck that I would not trade for love or money. If its your passion and you have the time and money, just do it.
It will get a new paint job this spring using U.S. Marine Corps Old Forest Green semi-gloss.

20160603_152157_resized_1.jpg 20160603_152232_resized.jpg 20160603_152246_resized_1.jpg20160603_152325_resized.jpg 20160611_170215_resized.jpg20160611_170424_resized.jpg

Last edited:

fasttruck

Reference post 8832: like post 8835 says: scrap. Does this thing run ? Is it titled ? Do you plan do anything more ambitious with it than being a yard truck ? It does not have a military fifth wheel, spare tire carrier is missing spare tire and parts, rear of cab is caved in, quantity of leaves in cab and under hood suggests it has been out of service for a long time. Front bumper non stock, fender caved in, wind shield broken, the list is long. If you want to throw enough time and money at it, you could make it as new. Back in the day we would have killed for a diesel tractor with winch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks