• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

sandcobra164

Let us know where the coolant level is inside the tank on the passenger side of the engine when you check it again. The manual calls for about an inch below the neck. If the cap makes a hissing suction sound when you pull it off, you can rule out a leak.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On an NHC250 it should never come on while moving unless towing. Or in stop and go city traffic. I mean I could do 8hrs towing my empty trailer and it would rarely come on.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know where the coolant level is inside the tank on the passenger side of the engine when you check it again. The manual calls for about an inch below the neck. If the cap makes a hissing suction sound when you pull it off, you can rule out a leak.
Coolant is just above the neck. Going to be in the 90’s all week here. Will take “him” out for a run at some point and see what happens. If I get out of work at a decent time will get an IR gun.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carman, I live in South Louisiana and my gets to 180 also never had the fan come on yet, wondering the same thing, Joe
I don’t know what my fan sounds like. I don’t think it’s ever come on. I have pulled heavy loads. Flat towed a 934, loaded bed, etc. never heard it once.

Averaging 65 on the highway Saturday, 100 degrees (I’m sure road temp was hotter) needle stayed just left of 12:00.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know what my fan sounds like. I don’t think it’s ever come on. I have pulled heavy loads. Flat towed a 934, loaded bed, etc. never heard it once.

Averaging 65 on the highway Saturday, 100 degrees (I’m sure road temp was hotter) needle stayed just left of 12:00.
When it come on...you know it. Makes you think something is imploding.

sandcobra164

I used to idle my truck at 1,800 rpm while doing weekly battery charging (bad idea by the way, research wet stacking). Anyhow, when the fan comes on it will pull the truck down to about 1,200 rpm, belts would chirp upon engagement and it roars very loud. The first time it ever happened I was in the back yard and ran to the front yard thinking something had gone horribly wrong. In my first 3 years of ownership I had never heard it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I changed out the rear lights for LEDs. Hooked up the air to the air-ride seats. Changed the air filter to a TMG filter. The glass barely registered any pressure, but I bought the filter, so might as well change it out.

There was some oil in the filter canniest. Clean engine looking oil. I assume someone used a liberal amount of it to seal the two halves onto the rubber seal? Can’t see how else clean oil gets in there. Anyway, here’s a pic of the half used filter.

63317C2C-44CD-4C4E-957E-4899628AE8C9.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Today I changed out the rear lights for LEDs. Hooked up the air to the air-ride seats. Changed the air filter to a TMG filter. The glass barely registered any pressure, but I bought the filter, so might as well change it out.

There was some oil in the filter canniest. Clean engine looking oil. I assume someone used a liberal amount of it to seal the two halves onto the rubber seal? Can’t see how else clean oil gets in there. Anyway, here’s a pic of the half used filter.

View attachment 768975
Transmission still have oil in it or ATF? The transmission vent can puke to the intake after side inclines or excess internal pressure. Most of the time the transfer case interlock fails and spits gear oil into the filter can

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmission still have oil in it or ATF? The transmission vent can puke to the intake after side inclines or excess internal pressure. Most of the time the transfer case interlock fails and spits gear oil into the filter can
Oh, ok. I was trying to figure out where oil could have com from.

Transmission is a mix of 15-40 and 10 wt hydraulic fluid (15-40 in it prior to fluid change). So ... definitely looks like it could be tranny fluid.

T case interlock fail ... could this have something to do with my inability to shift into low with air pressure built up?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Oh, ok. I was trying to figure out where oil could have com from.

Transmission is a mix of 15-40 and 10 wt hydraulic fluid (15-40 in it prior to fluid change). So ... definitely looks like it could be tranny fluid.

T case interlock fail ... could this have something to do with my inability to shift into low with air pressure built up?
Yes. Interlock isnt releasing the air pressure when you depress the transfer case button

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks