• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TobyS, Thanks! I use the troop seats from time to time, I take them out when I use the truck as a dump truck.
I put on 14.00x20's

sandcobra164

Drove mine back home yesterday from a friends shop where it was being stored at yesterday. I was out of town for a few weeks and my better half doesn't like having to move it to mow the grass. Drove it to a local Mexican restaurant today because I wanted some good food after eating MRE's for the past 2 weeks and my youngest son felt like the 5 ton was the safest vehicle to ride in. Finished off the evening by placing a "I brake for Trains" sticker on the tailgate that he got from the Georgia State Railroad Museum. http://www.chsgeorgia.org/GSRM Now that the sticker is on the tailgate, Briggs expects me to stop at every crossing regardless if a train is coming or the signal gates are lowering. My better half was happy since that meant the sticker would not go on her Tahoe!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks TechnoWeenie. I thought about on of those, just not sure I want to put a 2" hole in the side of the cab.
The first time you trip/pull the cord, and it rips wires out instead of just disconnecting the plug, you'd thank me.....

Also, you can take one of those newfangled 'electric car parking only' spots and piss the hippies off, and if anyone asks, it's a diesel-electric hybrid... It uses electricity to turn the motor so you can move....

rofl

tobyS

I could see having that sticker in a mirror image for the front end, so it reads from a persons rear view mirror.

sandcobra164

Refilled my tires with air. Drove my truck onto soft ground close to the house which was dry at the moment so I could charge the batteries. It rained very hard last night and showered a bit today. Read the tm, aired down to 12 psi and thankfully put the 5 ton back in it's normal parking spot. Spent the next 2 hours airing up the tires. Batteries should be fine now. Very happy today didn't turn into a I need help post!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Refilled my tires with air. Drove my truck onto soft ground close to the house which was dry at the moment so I could charge the batteries. It rained very hard last night and showered a bit today. Read the tm, aired down to 12 psi and thankfully put the 5 ton back in it's normal parking spot. Spent the next 2 hours airing up the tires. Batteries should be fine now. Very happy today didn't turn into a I need help post!
You can get all the help you need from your boys and a few shovels HA!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Spontaneous road trip to Birmingham AL to recover an M35A2. 310 mile trip, 120 miles of which were pulling the truck through the hills, ran her hard when unloaded, and didn’t give it much slack loaded either. Burnt $200 of fuel

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Spontaneous road trip to Birmingham AL to recover an M35A2. 310 mile trip, 120 miles of which were pulling the truck through the hills, ran her hard when unloaded, and didn’t give it much slack loaded either. Burnt $200 of fuel
Seriously? You better back the thirsty b off some.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Seriously? You better back the thirsty b off some.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I never dropped below 60 going out even through the hills, and never dropped below 55 coming back loaded. Pulling uphill I managed to clean out my exhaust with a light orange flame projecting 3” out the straight pipe, let’s just say that little 8.3 was stroking

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I never dropped below 60 going out even through the hills, and never dropped below 55 coming back loaded. Pulling uphill I managed to clean out my exhaust with a light orange flame projecting 3” out the straight pipe, let’s just say that little 8.3 was stroking
With a deuce on a towbar not even a stock 8.3 should drop below 60. Still should be over 330 miles to the tank. I was consistently around 360miles to the tank on the stock tanks. Around 64gal before it would start sucking the bottom grossing 55 to 60k. You saw how fast your little A2 could go from Montgomery to it's home being towed. It is alot of moving mass in those axles.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good day today sold two 817's and one 818. :clinto: Also won last months MV of the month with my 5 ton IH wrecker.:jumpin:

Last edited:

74M35A2

ran the truck down the 1/4 mile at Montgomery drag strip. Made for a 24.38 second pass at 54ish mph!
E, this is awesome, actually. Could be the first documented performance of a 5 ton here. I've been wanting to make a database of M939xx truck performance, and the effect each mod has on it. Can you state what the air temp or elevation was on the run, and any performance mods you have done to the motor (IP fueling increase or timing change, air filter, etc....). Thanks.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
E, this is awesome, actually. Could be the first documented performance of a 5 ton here. I've been wanting to make a database of M939xx truck performance, and the effect each mod has on it. Can you state what the air temp or elevation was on the run, and any performance mods you have done to the motor (IP fueling increase or timing change, air filter, etc....). Thanks.
M923A2 with stock components, MAX fuel low & main, timing at 15.5°, upgraded air filter for better flow, upgraded fuel filter system, air temp was 83°, elevation I’d have to look up but guessing 800-1000 above. Riding on 14s on Highway setting

MAdams

Do you have a EGT and boost gauge? Also, was the allison happy during full throttle shifts? Mine struggles to shirt firmly when WOT

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Do you have a EGT and boost gauge? Also, was the allison happy during full throttle shifts? Mine struggles to shirt firmly when WOT
No I don’t, yet. The Allison gets grouchy at wide open if I let it shift on its own, manually is a lot better

sandcobra164

I'll have to stop watch mine to compare time to 55 mph. I don't have a 1/4 mile track anywhere close, just 1/8 mile tracks. If you post your time slip, it should show your 60 foot, 330, 660 and 1320 times. I'll take mine to the local track and we can compare the first 3 marks. My mods are fuel turned up 1/4 turn, dual fuel lines, airbox cut to use almost entire filter and desplined front hub caps. I'd guess mine would have a better 60 foot time but I'm thinking the A2 will come around after that. Keeping apples to apples as close as we can, my truck is on 14's as well and I run a cargo cover like your truck. I suppose we'll see, I'm game! Since you're in Georgia as well, maybe we can contact Discovery and make a Big Truck Outlaws show. May even do a "test hit" on my dirt road to see how much power the road will take as I adjust my fuel screw!

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will make it fair. Ill tow a 931 on my trailer when I have a big cam under the hood and we can compare times!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks