• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Welder Sam

Put in a deuce in/out valve to the forward/reverse poppets. Installed remote brake res kit. Stripped the dash. Cleaned and repainted it. Replaced all the gauges, lights, and a few data plates. Installed a brake warning light in the m35a3 style. Installed hmmwv high beam indicator. Made under dash panel and out in/out valve, heater controls, fuel level switch, warning light switch, 12v outlet, and a couple extra switches. Also got the beast farm tagged. This evening, ill finish some wiring, install 3 place vic, and the bench(if im lucky)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that I have one that runs...

Gimp and I picked it up Saturday morning and in the afternoon we replaced the air pack.

:)

cx65083

This is why we carry spares...

She had started to lose a bit of power on the way home from Iola the other week. I knew it and ignored it for the time being. This past weekend I took the boy to their mom's apartment with big Green. I figured "it's only 8miles round trip. I'll change it out when I get back".
Ha.... We all know how THAT goes. half way home it went from loss of power to NONE. couldn't hardly pull out from the light and get across the Nekoosa bridge!
I limped her in 2nd to get clear of traffic and pulled over to get the deed done.
By the time I was completely stopped the guys with the German half track (Iola) pulled in to check on me. I had just past them and they thought I stopped to chat. They offered their help, but really, how many Steel Soldiers does it take to change a fuel filter? After a few moments they had to leave to get back on route and schedule. I assured them I'd be fine. I should have snapped a couple of their truck. Somehow I missed getting pics of it at Iola.
And, After a few minutes of priming and cranking... she purred back to life. Let her idle a bit to chase the air bubbles out and drove the last 3 miles home.

Attachments

Danl

Danl M915A1

I ajested the slack ajester, Got the air talgate ,working fine. ajested tranny shift linkage, Installed fire extinquisher in the cab , to make DOT happy, Dot tells me that if I come across a civy car that is burning I'm supost to use MY fire ExtinQuisher to help out, Being a professional driver this is what I'm to do. I jest said Ok to him , I didn't get a fine that way. But here We go beening the Ahole that I em. Will I get payed for my extinquisher. NO! Beer in mind this civy car that is burning, If I would of bump into that car at some other time, that civy car ,unprofessional driver would try to sue my dumb butt off , because I'm A professional driver .In closing," I think my 100 doller Extinquisher will stay in my cab untill I need it or a friend needs it" Em I wrong feeling this way, dose this really make me a Butt hole ? beer in mind most of these People don't want your truck parked in there Nhood, when I'm broke down on the side of the road. guys drive by and wave that all right I don't need a ride home to get my pick up truck and a few tools my wife or my real friends got it under controll , I hope ther friends got it under controll, because My fire Extinquisher,is staying in my cab:nothingfunny: untill dot pulles me over again and ask me for it again, to inflick a large fine upon me if I spent it on a civy car .

Danl

Danl M915A1

sorry about that last post Im jest having a Bad day, I'm really a nice Guy and would help out any body in a bad way, Its jest DOT mis unreal here in Maine, the fines that they give is crazzy.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced all 10 NDT's with 95% or better Goodyear G177's. As far as I can tell, it's like driving a new car. The 814 just glides along now, so I hopefully can do a mileage test, and see how much the radials help the MPG's

Ma Duce

Well one night we took the boys for ice cream in it, then last night we went to the cruise night at the local Micky D's in it and hung out for a bit. I told them i would challenge any truck there to a pulling contest. . .

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pics from the epic tire changing on the M814

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pics from the epic tire changing on the M814
Nice tires[thumbzup] I changed to G177's about a year ago. I won't go back to NDT's. The radials are much better riding tire. They are a bit larger in diameter and look better under the 5-Ton. I also prefer the duals and don't care for super-singles of any size.

While I'm here...been a busy week of getting things done. I dropped the oil pan and installed a new gasket. Had to do it twice...first gasket was crap and would not seal at the bell housing. Did a full oil and filter change and installed a Fumoto oil drain valve with safety clip. I tested it out and it sure makes an oil change a much cleaner affair. I bought mine withe 5/8"OD nipple on it so you can install some tubing for drainage right into a bucket. No big drain pan needed.
If interested...
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T203N
New stuff 011.jpg

I stalled an extension on the old trailer emergency air valve using 1/2" galv. pipe and fittings and brass ball valve. I retained the original valve down on the frame for back up, but leave it open. The new valve is much easier to access. It is connected to a rubber two-piece hose with a 1/2" quick connect in the middle. The rubber hose connects to a 1/2' pipe and quick connect mounted to the rear side of the tool/utility box. The rubber hose can be separated and connected to an air pig that can be hung between the tool/utility boxes and spare tire. This all helps for more air volume for air tools.
New stuff 003.jpgNew stuff 005.jpgNew stuff 014.jpgNew stuff 015.jpg

I moved the pioneer tool rack to the double tool/utility boxes. It now hangs vertically to the left and to the rear of the cab. I moved a jerry can holder that was mounted at the bottom of the boxes. It will join two other can holders on top of the boxes next week.
New stuff 008.jpgNew stuff 009.jpg

And a shameless plug for Cummins engines...
New stuff 017.jpgNew stuff 018.jpg

Last edited:

Welder Sam

I like the Cummins decal!

I didnt really do much. Got finishing touches on alot of stuff and took my 6 year old daughter to town for an icee in the wrecker. Guess all thats left is to put a new steering wheel on, install 12v step down with cb(try to hook it to the vic1 audio posts), and put in the dome lights and door switches. May put the 24v fans in there somewhere.. bout out of room!

Danl

Danl M915A1

Nice tires[thumbzup] I changed to G177's about a year ago. I won't go back to NDT's. The radials are much better riding tire. They are a bit larger in diameter and look better under the 5-Ton. I also prefer the duals and don't care for super-singles of any size.

While I'm here...been a busy week of getting things done. I dropped the oil pan and installed a new gasket. Had to do it twice...first gasket was crap and would not seal at the bell housing. Did a full oil and filter change and installed a Fumoto oil drain valve with safety clip. I tested it out and it sure makes an oil change a much cleaner affair. I bought mine withe 5/8"OD nipple on it so you can install some tubing for drainage right into a bucket. No big drain pan needed. If interested...
T-203N Valve (w/Nipple)
View attachment 355934

I stalled an extension on the old trailer emergency air valve using 1/2" galv. pipe and fittings and brass ball valve. I retained the original valve down on the frame for back up, but leave it open. The new valve is much easier to access. It is connected to a rubber two-piece hose with a 1/2" quick connect in the middle. The rubber hose connects to a 1/2' pipe and quick connect mounted to the rear side of the tool/utility box. The rubber hose can be separated and connected to an air pig that can be hung between the tool/utility boxes and spare tire. This all helps for more air volume for air tools.
View attachment 355930View attachment 355931View attachment 355932View attachment 355933

I moved the pioneer tool rack to the double tool/utility boxes. It now hangs vertically to the left and to the rear of the cab. I moved a jerry can holder that was mounted at the bottom of the boxes. It will join two other can holders on top of the boxes next week.
View attachment 355935View attachment 355936

And a shameless plug for Cummins engines...
View attachment 355937View attachment 355938
were did you get the cummins decal?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ready for Storm-Isaac

My m923 had a cracked support bracket from the coolant bottle to the motor and a cracked mounting bracket on the bottle. I took the bottle off and did a r/r , got it welded up and replaced the broken engine support bracket. I also replaced the small coolant hose going to the motor from the bottle.

Noticed the heater control valve has a broken handle/valve but that will have to wait as heaters are of limited use in my lz.:sad:

Truck is full of fuel, fluids checked, and ready to go as I am in New Orleans and will ride out Isaac. Let's hope I don't need to test the high water capabilities.;)

M923driver

My m923 had a cracked support bracket from the coolant bottle to the motor and a cracked mounting bracket on the bottle. I took the bottle off and did a r/r , got it welded up and replaced the broken engine support bracket. I also replaced the small coolant hose going to the motor from the bottle.

Noticed the heater control valve has a broken handle/valve but that will have to wait as heaters are of limited use in my lz.:sad:

Truck is full of fuel, fluids checked, and ready to go as I am in New Orleans and will ride out Isaac. Let's hope I don't need to test the high water capabilities.;)
Hope you do well with no damage. The amount of time they are predicting the storm to stay there is scary for sure. I'm 6 hrs north of NOLA, let me know if you need a place to bug out to. Keep your head down.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam & M923driver,

Thanks for the offers but let's hope to meet under better circumstances down the road! :D

This is no "K" . Lots of rain and wind with the things that go with it but we should be fine. Part of living here is dealing with these storms.

Thanks for thinking of us!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks