• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. I look at the potential list of to do’s then I stare at the truck for a while. Then I say f*%# it. And take it for a ride. Nothing major to do. Nothing that keeps it unsafe on the road. Just eats up the limited time I have to play.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up 5 tons of 21A to make a base for my sons Boy Scout Troop shed. That loader makes my truck look small. Then back home for a wash. Since the cover and bows had to come off maybe i will get the S280 in the back. Need two trucks so it can stay in one.
Shed base gravel.jpg
gravel pick up.jpg
bath time.jpg

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What’s 21A? Type of gravel/crushed rock?
21A is known as crush and run. Gravel mixed with fines (rock dust) typically used on unpaved roads since it can be dumped, spread and rolled. At my old house we would chain the door on the back of the dump truck. Lift the bed and drive along until all the 21A ran out the back 6"-10" gap.

Ajax MD

Eerie photo with all the fog!

You definitely have practical uses for your 5-ton. I'm sure the Boy Scouts appreciate your contribution.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eerie photo with all the fog!

You definitely have practical uses for your 5-ton. I'm sure the Boy Scouts appreciate your contribution.
Yes, was a little scary headed into the quarry early that morning. Lots of 16 wheel dump trucks in and out. Heavy dew and foggy. Could not see much and was my first time at this one. When I rolled up to get loaded I could not even see the loader until he beeped at me. All went well. I would like to go back when it is clear outside to get a good look at the hole in the ground they must have there.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can hold more than that! That’s only 5 tons! Everyone knows 5 tons really means 10 tons!

It sure does ride better with a few tons in the bed. When I headed down to Houston with a full load of water and supplies for Harvey, it rode great. Trip back was a bit rough!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
when you start the year with a mild case of the flu and you still gotta break down some blown out tires. You know its going to be one of those years.

Logged 600 miles yesterday up to the yard and back battling the same sickness though.

I remembered why i had soo many wheels laying around with blown out tires. Cause it is just so much fun to get those alligators off.

I think is even funnier is that an AT2 casing that one my other trucks that blew out on July 4th when a buddy was driving it was across town in Memphis. The casing came off the tire and just left the belt as you see from the one wheel. The casing is still on the side of the road down that way cause the city workers won't pick it up.

Attachments

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife was cool enough to get me some army truck parts for Christmas so I got the ratty seat cushion replaced.

20181226_150844.jpg

Ajax MD

when you start the year with a mild case of the flu and you still gotta break down some blown out tires. You know its going to be one of those years.

Logged 600 miles yesterday up to the yard and back battling the same sickness though.

I remembered why i had soo many wheels laying around with blown out tires. Cause it is just so much fun to get those alligators off.

I think is even funnier is that an AT2 casing that one my other trucks that blew out on July 4th when a buddy was driving it was across town in Memphis. The casing came off the tire and just left the belt as you see from the one wheel. The casing is still on the side of the road down that way cause the city workers won't pick it up.
You need some OJ and to take a rest! I wondered how I'd get a shredded tire off of a wheel and the only strategy I could think of, was to use a cut off wheel to cut the tire near at the bead in several locations so I could pull it off the wheel. How did you do it?

vvwilkins

This past weekend I finally finished building a winch assembly to lift the spare tire into its designated location. My truck is running the oversized 16.00xR20's which really limit headroom with the boom. So, I fabricated a bracket to adapt a Champion 2000lb ATV winch to the boom roller. Here's a youtube link for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBndvBtRXw
Or search for "5ton Spare Tire Winch"
Attached is a picture of the assembly prior to install on boom.WinchAssy.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This past weekend I finally finished building a winch assembly to lift the spare tire into its designated location. My truck is running the oversized 16.00xR20's which really limit headroom with the boom. So, I fabricated a bracket to adapt a Champion 2000lb ATV winch to the boom roller. Here's a youtube link for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBndvBtRXw
Or search for "5ton Spare Tire Winch"
Attached is a picture of the assembly prior to install on boom.View attachment 752949
I bought a 2000 lb Warn winch for this exact reason. For $99 it’s hard to beat.

Now, I just need to do what you did and install the darn thing!

Well done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks