• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just the setting Sun. perfect lighting makes anything look good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tobyS

Toby, well, they kind of do.

Many people, me included, have painted entire trucks and trailers with Behr ultra with excellent results. There is a thread here 50 or 60 pages long about it.

Im about to paint another truck with it.
I have used quite a lot of Behr. I prefer the Ultra not Marquee, myself, but I'm still rolling and brushing.

Lately I have been using the Rustoleum camo colors in rattle cans. They seem to match better than they used to and the black is really flat. I've bought gallons of the Rustoleum flat black, but they are not the same as the camo. Close, but noticeably different. What I would like would be Rustoleum camo in quarts or gallons.

Some of the older spots I did rust repair, the actylic latex (Behr) over red primer did not hold up as well as I would like, rust re-formed, thus the Rustoleum wish list in enamel, oil based. As far as I know, they do not make it. Others do, but until I get quality spray outfit, I'm not shelling out the Benjamins.

Last edited:

tobyS

This is a nice product, available in all 3 camo colors

Cool Jcollings. That appears to be a quart. How much did it cost?

Does it have the deep flat color like the Behr does?

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool Jcollings. That appears to be a quart. How much did it cost?

Does it have the deep flat color like the Behr does?
$90.66 for 1 gallon $78.95 for other $25 shipping
Black being the less expensive
Military spec carc

tobyS

I may try it. The black is my most needed for a good coat on the frame right now and under fenders and such. I just hooked up a 5 hp air compressor that I can do some light sand blasting first. I think I have a gun for primer but may buy one for the paint.

I would think I could go to the SW store to avoid a ship charge. Probably order and pay in advance.

Thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to get mine from a Sherwin Williams store that was in the Tampa area. because all the stores here did not have a clue on what this product was or what carc.
This particular kind is an air cure paint no mixing right out of a can besides agitating and shaking it up.

Small 4" roller foam type worked very nice put a matte type finish down.

There is a recommended primer that is supposed to be use although I used Sherwin Williams 646 macro poxy on bare spots.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I put another 70 plus miles on my five ton going to and from my good friend Andy's house so that I could swap the front wheels to the rear and the rears to the front, NO I didn't do them by myself I had help with and from experienced. thanks Andy
Tomorrow I will post how it is done for those who have never changed out there wheels having ctis air system.

OrneryOrr

Drove my "new" '83 923 to town 1 time and now my kids baseball team thinks I should haul them to all of their games in it. Also my old Legion Post convinced me to get back into the Legion and suggested we could put our post members in the back for the county fair parade and 4th of July parade. The truck now has a name. My wife named it Godzilla. It's big, green, growls and belches smoke when you get into it. Ordered a new soft top for it since the stitching in the old one came loose on the previous owner when he was driving it to my place.

tobyS

Money Pit was already taken
I'll share...it's more of a description than a name.

A couple of weeks ago a stray cat showed up at my back door. Unlike most that have had to spend some time surviving, it was not timid or scared. I opened the door and it came right in and then acted like I was it's best friend in the world. It's a very loving cat and kind of a PITA.

It has no tail, so we called it "Bob". We had several discussions about the tail missing or born that way...can't tell. Then we noticed it was a female cat...and Bob....just was not right. First I called it "Bob-Wa" and now it's "Bob-Ra".

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Ordered a new soft top for it since the stitching in the old one came loose on the previous owner when he was driving it to my place.
My soft top threads also came loose and I just finished restitching it yesterday with a heavy duty synthetic thread using a single thread saddle stitch. Four passes through vinyl and plastic used up more needles than a homeless camp and completely wore out my finger tips. I stopped counting at 912 stitches...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks