• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We called them, and they are out of stock at the moment. They would have to order a set from Oklahoma. I wonder who bought out there local stock?
Not me. I buy em from Memphis bearing for alot cheaper than napa wants. They don't have just the bearing it stock but the Set is a totally different number that what is in the parts spreadsheet.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tip - I will be replacing mine next week and will be sure to try that out

It helps if your hubs are warm, as if they've been out in the sun for several hours. The heat expanded hub, and cold shrunken seal went together very easy. We did that with the last three seals and it was easy compared to the first one. The metal wiper ring/ready sleeve was heated in the oven at 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Don't let anything warm up or cool down while putting the seals and sleeves on. Just do them one at a time very quickly.

8madjack

Scored a deuce cargo cover and some bow corners for cheap! Was a 200 mile round trip though, guy selling was super cool.

It has it has the wood bows also but they're all in pretty rough shape.

sandcobra164

Still washing mine to get ready for a parade in Nashville, Ga and later a trip to Durhamtown Off Road Park. I've never taken the truck mudding and live on a sandy dirt road. This thing has red clay stains all over the undercarriage from it's time spent at Ft. Benning. It's taking some time but most everything is green again.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Still washing mine to get ready for a parade in Nashville, Ga and later a trip to Durhamtown Off Road Park. I've never taken the truck mudding and live on a sandy dirt road. This thing has red clay stains all over the undercarriage from it's time spent at Ft. Benning. It's taking some time but most everything is green again.
Rig up a suction line T on your garden hose and let it suck from a 2 gallon jug of degreaser while the sprinkler runs under it all night. Itll take off alot of stuff.

sandcobra164

Moved on to cleaning and degreasing the engine. Not a bad job in my trucks case. It does have an oil leak and I'm quite sure it's coming from the accessory drive on the front of the engine and the drops get blown back everywhere. Looking at the 4 stack of pulley's it looks like the fan shroud, upper radiator support, fan clutch and maybe even radiator will have to come out to replace the seal. Might even need to pull the hood. Since the engine holds 27 quarts of oil, it can wait until after the Leesburg Christmas Parade. I've got a Nashville, Ga Parade this weekend, a shooting event near Edison, Ga next weekend and a 190 each way trip to Durhamtown later this month. All told, probably around 1,000 miles of road time ahead before I can address the issue. I'll just keep a gallon jug of oil around and all should be well as it's not even enough of a leak to move the level on the dipstick.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Moved on to cleaning and degreasing the engine. Not a bad job in my trucks case. It does have an oil leak and I'm quite sure it's coming from the accessory drive on the front of the engine and the drops get blown back everywhere. Looking at the 4 stack of pulley's it looks like the fan shroud, upper radiator support, fan clutch and maybe even radiator will have to come out to replace the seal. Might even need to pull the hood. Since the engine holds 27 quarts of oil, it can wait until after the Leesburg Christmas Parade. I've got a Nashville, Ga Parade this weekend, a shooting event near Edison, Ga next weekend and a 190 each way trip to Durhamtown later this month. All told, probably around 1,000 miles of road time ahead before I can address the issue. I'll just keep a gallon jug of oil around and all should be well as it's not even enough of a leak to move the level on the dipstick.
Rebate on mobil delvac it's only $4 a gallon. It's just rustproofing for the underside. The seal isn't hard. You dont have to pull the radiator but it helps. It's only 4 bolts so easy enough to undo and slide it to the passengers side clear of the jaw puller to come flying off. So it's just heavy labor and while your in there you might as well replace the water pump and belt. Just makes sense before you do all the work and a week later it starts to weep. It also helps to swap out in case you have the plastic impeller pump in it.

sandcobra164

More rustproofing today. Looks like I may have lost about a quart during my 150 mile trip. It mostly slings it onto the driver's inner fender liner and steering gear. Some oil makes it onto the front cylinder head and even on the outside of the intake for the heater box. Thanks for the advice on changing the water pump Simp, I need to flush the cooling system as well and may even have the radiator looked at by a shop as a preventative maintenance step. In good news though, the truck is running stronger than ever. Ready for the hills on Hwy 22 and 129 in a few weeks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Busy and expensive week. Logged about 2500miles before my transfer case developed an input shaft leak, then a transfer case mount broke, along with I believe a rock hit by oil pan and cracked it. Ended up grinding the pan down and using a heavy putty sealer. Held up well. Welded the mount and fixed the leak. Also blew some brake diaphragms while mountain braking. Was alot of stuff.
Logged another 1500miles carrying a 1084 FMTV and threw the transfer to front tandem driveshaft. Going about 60. Fellow member came and pulled me off the Jersey turnpike. Put another one in and ended up the transfer case has a pretty bad noise in the oshkosh 55000 case. So found a driveline shop in Trenton, NJ and they did what I had planned to do for emergency situations. Made me a driveline to go from the CAT 7155 to the front tandem flange. 66 inches long altogether. Luckily the way I made the transfer case mounts it drops out in under 15mins. I was planning on having a driveline made and bed storing it for that reason. Drop the case on the highway and load it on the trailer. Throw the driveline in and go. But that happened sooner than later.

So then after fixing that drove to ocean city, NJ. Loaded up a 923 on a trailer and took it to a members house to store. Then towbarred a 934 from ocean city the 150miles to his place as well. Now I'm headed south with the 923 to return and get the 934 on Monday

Long week. Oh and my old girl got her a nice pretty 14ft iso bed to install on her for $500 when I get home

Attachments

Last edited:

99nouns

Busy and expensive week. Logged about 2500miles before my transfer case developed an input shaft leak, then a transfer case mount broke, along with I believe a rock hit by oil pan and cracked it. Ended up grinding the pan down and using a heavy putty sealer. Held up well. Welded the mount and fixed the leak.
Logged another 1500miles carrying a 1084 FMTV and threw the transfer to front tandem driveshaft. Going about 60. Fellow member came and pulled me off the Jersey turnpike. Put another one in and ended up the transfer case has a pretty bad noise in the oshkosh 55000 case. So found a driveline shop in Trenton, NJ and they did what I had planned to do for emergency situations. Made me a driveline to go from the CAT 7155 to the front tandem flange. 66 inches long altogether. Luckily the way I made the transfer case mounts it drops out in under 15mins. I was planning on having a driveline made and bed storing it for that reason. Drop the case on the highway and load it on the trailer. Throw the driveline in and go. But that happened sooner than later.

So then after fixing that drove to ocean city, NJ. Loaded up a 923 on a trailer and took it to a members house to store. Then towbarred a 934 from ocean city the 150miles to his place as well. Now I'm headed south with the 923 to return and get the 934 on Monday

Long week. Oh and my old girl got her a nice pretty 14ft iso bed to install on her for $500 when I get home
Maan you need a vlogger buddy to hangout with you and record all your adventures, you would be like the next big thing... New episode every week with Adventures of Wes

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a cool bed Wes...looks a lot like the FMTV but with steel....heavier. Looks in good shape too.

sandcobra164

Oiled down my front differential, driver's side frame rail and a few spots on my M1102 trailer that I towed thanks to my accessory drive leak on my nifty 250. I did get a chance to talk to SwampDonkey about it this weekend at the Ga Rally and it turns out that this leak is not too hard to fix. The key thing he told me was that you can install the accessory drive pulley without an installer but you must be careful because the shaft metal is softer than the nut used to bolt the pulley back on. If you gall the threads up you are in trouble. Luckily I have a friend who is a Cummins mechanic by trade so I'll use his installer. He also mentioned that you cannot use any type of oil on the teflon seal. Maybe a little anti-seize on the outer sleeve when installing it into the front cover but nothing on the seal itself where it rides on the wear sleeve. I'm glad there is a good knowledge base when tackling problems like this. Swamp made it sound easy but I'll probably still flush the cooling system and pull the radiator to have it gone through. I hate doing stuff twice.

dodgebroke

I Loaded up my 5 tons with paintball guns and saved the world from alien invaders. Equipped with 5ooo watt sound systems, tons of UV and strobe lights and 4500 psi compressed air systems. Everything is computer controlled.5ton.jpg5t0n 2.jpg The aliens didn't stand a chance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks