• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Jericho

Ajax MD check your power steering cooler in front of the rad had mine start to leak when it got cold, Tubing is a hard plastic . not pliable rubber, Got to -40 below zero and it just wouldnt seal all the way tightened the worm screw clamps, when it warmed up the little leak disappered

Ajax MD

Ajax MD check your power steering cooler in front of the rad had mine start to leak when it got cold, Tubing is a hard plastic . not pliable rubber, Got to -40 below zero and it just wouldnt seal all the way tightened the worm screw clamps, when it warmed up the little leak disappered
There's a power steering...cooler? That's interesting. There is nothing in front of my radiator. I have an M813, maybe you're thinking of a 939 series truck?

Jericho

lololo your right, its that assume word and wanting to pass on a tid bit too help, I just assumed under the 5 ton section. Every one has a 900 series, if you find a power steering cooler on that , youve driven someone else,s truck home . I own mostly older Iron , but saw you dilemia , didnt check your beast

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Reference post 8832: like post 8835 says: scrap. Does this thing run ? Is it titled ? Do you plan do anything more ambitious with it than being a yard truck ? It does not have a military fifth wheel, spare tire carrier is missing spare tire and parts, rear of cab is caved in, quantity of leaves in cab and under hood suggests it has been out of service for a long time. Front bumper non stock, fender caved in, wind shield broken, the list is long. If you want to throw enough time and money at it, you could make it as new. Back in the day we would have killed for a diesel tractor with winch
Thanks for the reply guys, it’s been parked for 8 years after working for 10 years in the woods staging trailers logging. It will run but it’s haggard. I didn’t think it’d be worth more than $500 as it was, but the guy is asking 5500 and there’s no way in my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Thanks for the reply guys, it’s been parked for 8 years after working for 10 years in the woods staging trailers logging. It will run but it’s haggard. I didn’t think it’d be worth more than $500 as it was, but the guy is asking $500 and there’s no way in my eyes
The man is excited:

- He thinks he has a buyer

Tell him you'll take it off his hands if HE pays you $500.

Be prepared to shrug your shoulders, pause, and then walk away...

Ajax MD

Is your triangular shark insignia a Flying Tigers Patch ?
No, it's my old reserve unit insignia from the MIUW warfare community. They are all disbanded now. A few folks have posted photos of their trucks that still have the old insignia on them.

lavarok

No, it's my old reserve unit insignia from the MIUW warfare community. They are all disbanded now. A few folks have posted photos of their trucks that still have the old insignia on them.
My M1010 had that insignia on the doors when I bought it from Goosecreek many years ago. Still does to this day although I no longer own it. :)

Ajax MD

My M1010 had that insignia on the doors when I bought it from Goosecreek many years ago. Still does to this day although I no longer own it. :)
Yup. As a reserve unit, we generally got "cast-offs" from active duty units. As long as we had enough vehicles to haul our TO&E, it didn't really matter what they were. Our deuces were friggin' ancient when I got there. GP canvas tents straight out of M*A*S*H with pot-belly, wood burning stoves for heat. Our sensor platforms were something out of a kid's toy Erector set.

Then 9/11 happened and the fiscal flood gates opened. Base-X tents w/HVAC, M35A3's, and M939 series trucks. New sensor platforms, MEPs, HMMWV's, the works.

Ajax MD

A parade of winter storms is going to halt the truck work I'd like to do. Cold and wet every couple of days all the way to New Year's at least.
I can handle the cold, but I won't work in cold rain and sleet. Grrr....

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got the 5-ton fifth wheel plate out of the back of my 813 and onto the US6x4...only took a little over a year. This will get mounted to the Studebaker until an original can be found.
20191110_101234.jpg

This had the same NSN # as an M818 fifth wheel (which is almost identical to the original) but it has a skirt on it. It's probably off of a 939 series truck.
20191213_192856.jpg

Ajax MD

I'm still tracking some air system weirdness:

When the ambient air temp gets down around 32F, I can *hear* a leak under the dash. It's definitely under the dash, inside the cab. If I open the hood and get into the engine compartment on the other side of the firewall, I cannot hear the leak. I know the hose to the air pressure gauge is weepy but that's not the whole leak. It sounds like it's at the T-fitting under the dash, but I get no soap bubbles at the T-fitting.

When the air temp is 35F and above, the leak seems to stop or at least become inaudible and I can't find it. So, I need a cool, weekend morning where I can charge up the system and find the leaky fitting. It's danged cramped under there.

In other news, I ordered some "fun parts." Fun parts is what I call stuff that the truck was originally equipped with, but is not strictly necessary for operation. I scored a very affordable cargo cover and a set of pioneer tools.

Ajax MD

I've decided that I don't like the looks of the flexible brake hoses for the rear axle. Replacements on the way.
I'll be building a power bleeder. I already have the bug sprayer.

I took a leisurely cruise after work yesterday. The truck runs smoother than cat fur on a marble floor. It seemed to get up the hills easily in 5th. I never once pushed the pedal all the way to the floor to maintain speed. For once, traffic was light so I could really enjoy it.

It's the most fun you can have at 52 mph.

Ajax MD

I test-fit the pioneers tools in the rack. All seems good, now to clean them up and paint them.

I scored a nearly new Arctic winterization grill cover from the classifieds. It was very inexpensive, so I grabbed it on a lark. Being as the 809's share a cab with the M35's, it fits fine.

Next, I installed all the cargo cover bows for the first time. When I have a free moment, I'll throw the cargo cover on and we'll see what it all looks like.

Lastly, I picked up a set of used, mounted tires from a fellow member. Many of them are in excellent shape, little or no checking and still have the casting nubs on them. 100% tread. Looking forward to swapping out the worst of the tires. I'll be good for many miles after this.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally found a replacement lens for the turn signal indicator after searching for almost 2 years. Small bit of progress but it feels good to get it installed. The old one came out in pieces.
20191227_153712.jpg
20191204_165404.jpg
20191227_153023.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks