• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MTV 1088 stuck my hand to the bottom of the fuel tank. Asphaltenes making about 1/8 inch black taffy in the bottom of the tank. Lovely.
No biodiesel around here so for now wait as she is running ok. Might try a company called Penray as they claim to have a product that will cut it. If that does not work then looks like tank removal / clean out. Again just Lovely.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
MTV 1088 stuck my hand to the bottom of the fuel tank. Asphaltenes making about 1/8 inch black taffy in the bottom of the tank. Lovely.
No biodiesel around here so for now wait as she is running ok. Might try a company called Penray as they claim to have a product that will cut it. If that does not work then looks like tank removal / clean out. Again just Lovely.
Drain the fuel, pull the float, fill with e85 (85% ethanol) and let it sit for a week. It WILL come out

Ajax MD

Been cleaning up the garage, getting rid of old oil, batteries etc. I poured the nasty gear oil from my dead transfer case into a disposal container and saw some solid chunks of metal had settled to the bottom.

For fun, here's a quick video where I can shake the rear output. 00:08 through 00:11 seconds you can really see it.

https://youtu.be/k1opvzaE14k

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ajax MD, what will you do with your old T-case? Rebuild it as a spare or sell it as a core or turn it into a living room coffee table...?

Ajax MD

Ajax MD, what will you do with your old T-case? Rebuild it as a spare or sell it as a core or turn it into a living room coffee table...?
Given what they cost, I'm going to get a quote from a commercial truck transmission shop for a rebuild and keep it as a spare.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given what they cost, I'm going to get a quote from a commercial truck transmission shop for a rebuild and keep it as a spare.
You mean a spare with fresh paint and thick plate glass on the top to decorate the living room? ;)

I know my wife wouldn't allow it so deep down I'm hoping someone else can pull it off.

Ajax MD

You mean a spare with fresh paint and thick plate glass on the top to decorate the living room? ;)

I know my wife wouldn't allow it so deep down I'm hoping someone else can pull it off.
I live in a 50-year old home with a wood floor with joists at the maximum distance apart allowed by code. I'm not sure I'd want to point load the floor with that much weight. ;)
Besides, I'm a sailor first so the house is decorated more like a ship or a lighthouse with sextants, oil lamps etc.

The transfer case will have to decorate my garage or one of my cousin's farm sheds. I could really use the upper half of the shipping can to store it properly.

Seriously though, I scored a clean, rebuilt transfer for $900 from B&M Surplus which just went out of business as the owner retired. If I need a transfer in the future, I'm looking at $2500-3500. If I pay $1k to have the dead transfer rebuilt, I'm well ahead of the game. Could I rebuild it myself? Possibly. It's not rocket science but it does require care and precision. Experience would be valuable but I've never taken apart running gear more complex than an F-100 3-speed transmission.

Csm Davis

I live in a 50-year old home with a wood floor with joists at the maximum distance apart allowed by code. I'm not sure I'd want to point load the floor with that much weight. ;)
Besides, I'm a sailor first so the house is decorated more like a ship or a lighthouse with sextants, oil lamps etc.

The transfer case will have to decorate my garage or one of my cousin's farm sheds. I could really use the upper half of the shipping can to store it properly.

Seriously though, I scored a clean, rebuilt transfer for $900 from B&M Surplus which just went out of business as the owner retired. If I need a transfer in the future, I'm looking at $2500-3500. If I pay $1k to have the dead transfer rebuilt, I'm well ahead of the game. Could I rebuild it myself? Possibly. It's not rocket science but it does require care and precision. Experience would be valuable but I've never taken apart running gear more complex than an F-100 3-speed transmission.
Rebuilding the transfer case is easier than the 3 speed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20191004_165624[1].jpgIMG_20191004_165701[1].jpgIMG_20191004_165708[1].jpgIMG_20191004_165716[1].jpgIMG_20191004_165728[1].jpgIMG_20191004_165737[1].jpgIMG_20191004_165754[1].jpg

So I was messing around under the dash of my M927A2 trying fix some air leaks and noticed that push pull valve was dumping air out of its exhaust. Its fittings were loose but that wasnt my concern. the problem was that the air pressure wasnt building because of it. Been through the Tech manuals and cant seem to find an answer. hopefully someone here has had experience with these air systems. the valve has PP-1 on it but it doesnt seem to have a spring and the part number is to a PP-8. Any suggestions? thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 778475View attachment 778476View attachment 778477View attachment 778478View attachment 778479View attachment 778480View attachment 778481

So I was messing around under the dash of my M927A2 trying fix some air leaks and noticed that push pull valve was dumping air out of its exhaust. Its fittings were loose but that wasnt my concern. the problem was that the air pressure wasnt building because of it. Been through the Tech manuals and cant seem to find an answer. hopefully someone here has had experience with these air systems. the valve has PP-1 on it but it doesnt seem to have a spring and the part number is to a PP-8. Any suggestions? thanks.
Its a pp8 bendix/Haldex #102837. They use a pp1 valve body

It has a bad seal so it is bypassing to the exhaust. typical on old stuff.

Last edited:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps I misunderstand you Sir, but I read that the pull valve was dumping air. Do you mean " the fittings" that the pull valve assembly itself is leaking? Or that the pull valve has a dump fuction and is presently misfunctioning? IF I may: Either tighten the fittings, or replace the valve.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a pp8 bendix/Haldex #102837. They use a pp1 valve body

It has a bad seal so it is bypassing to the exhaust. typical on old stuff.
Ok, i took it apart and it looks brand new inside. However, i know that can mean nothing in the long run. So you suggest just replacing it? I also dont know if the correct hoses were in the correct inlets. Cant seem to find a diagram for that.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, i took it apart and it looks brand new inside. However, i know that can mean nothing in the long run. So you suggest just replacing it? I also dont know if the correct hoses were in the correct inlets. Cant seem to find a diagram for that.
Simple way to figure that out is that is to build air pressure on the truck and whichever red line has air coming out of it goes to the Inlet port (sup) marked on it on the valve. and the other goes to the DEL port on the valve

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps I misunderstand you Sir, but I read that the pull valve was dumping air. Do you mean " the fittings" that the pull valve assembly itself is leaking? Or that the pull valve has a dump fuction and is presently misfunctioning? IF I may: Either tighten the fittings, or replace the valve.
No. Sorry maybe i didnt explain it well. Air is dumping out of the exhaust opening. Im sure there was air leaking out of the loose fittings but i couldnt tell over the noise from the air escaping from the exhaust port. the only air i could actually feel with my hand was pretty much an unrestricted flow of air out the exhaust port as well.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple way to figure that out is that is to build air pressure on the truck and whichever red line has air coming out of it goes to the Inlet port (sup) marked on it on the valve. and the other goes to the DEL port on the valve
wow.... [thumbzup]

that is so simple and easy i am ashamed i didnt think of that. I literally just smacked myself in the forehead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks