• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a truck from Georgia, had someone haul it up to Fort Lee NJ, then I drove it home.

Much thanks to Luke Deuce, helping me through the process!!

Attachments

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking rubber all around, and that paint job looks new, nice!

Thanks!

I bought the truck through Russell's Military in Cairo Georgia

Really good guy, I had him spray a fresh paint job on the truck

Did you notice the picture with the guy in the middle of the Cross Bronx xpwy asking for money... crazy, he was standing between the right and center lanes. (the pic with the big blue rig)

Another Ahab

Did you notice the picture with the guy in the middle of the Cross Bronx xpwy asking for money... crazy, he was standing between the right and center lanes. (the pic with the big blue rig)
I recall that about the streets in the Bronx, from WAY back (windshield washing was the thing then if I remember right), but didn't know it had migrated to the expressways. Crazy.

Ajax MD

After shut down, I've been hearing a slight hiss indicating a minor air leak somewhere.

I thought it was a loose connection on the poppet valve on the transmission. I figured I disturbed it somehow when re-connecting it to the transfer case when I replaced that part. I tore up the cab tunnel and found nothing amiss.

To shorten the story, I started the truck, built up air pressure and listened again. Turns out the main rubber hose right after the air compressor was badly chafed by the metal ID tag. As soon as I touched the ID tag and slid it up a bit, the leak increased considerably. The hose is also cracked with age. This could have turned pretty ugly.

I'm having a new hose made up this afternoon. I've already replaced the hoses on the transfer case. I'm not sure if there are any other soft air lines in the system, so I'll take a work light and go over the entire run and replace any others that I find.

Another Ahab

Ajax MD

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After shut down, I've been hearing a slight hiss indicating a minor air leak somewhere.

I thought it was a loose connection on the poppet valve on the transmission. I figured I disturbed it somehow when re-connecting it to the transfer case when I replaced that part. I tore up the cab tunnel and found nothing amiss.

To shorten the story, I started the truck, built up air pressure and listened again. Turns out the main rubber hose right after the air compressor was badly chafed by the metal ID tag. As soon as I touched the ID tag and slid it up a bit, the leak increased considerably. The hose is also cracked with age. This could have turned pretty ugly.

I'm having a new hose made up this afternoon. I've already replaced the hoses on the transfer case. I'm not sure if there are any other soft air lines in the system, so I'll take a work light and go over the entire run and replace any others that I find.

Use parker 919 steel jacket. It is made for 300 degrees. The 200 degree air for the compressor deteriorates that inner rubber core on a standard hydraulic hose well before the 919. Standard hose will send to collapse or melt closed

Why air system use copper line in length to dissipate the heat in the air before it gets to any soft lines.

Ajax MD

Thanks for that. I'll specify that hose when I go to the shop today. I never gave temperature a thought, only pressure.

Ajax MD

Cheese and rice, that little hose cost me $100! Well, there's no cheaping out on safety.

Air pressure remained above 90 psi for 3 hours after shutdown but there are still some weeps out there somewhere that I'll need to track down. Aside from the hiss after shutdown, I'd been hearing the compressor come on at intervals that seemed kind of short while driving. During a test drive yesterday, the compressor would only come on after several pumps of the brakes.

Onward and upward...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Cheese and rice, that little hose cost me $100! Well, there's no cheaping out on safety.

Air pressure remained above 90 psi for 3 hours after shutdown but there are still some weeps out there somewhere that I'll need to track down. Aside from the hiss after shutdown, I'd been hearing the compressor come on at intervals that seemed kind of short while driving. During a test drive yesterday, the compressor would only come on after several pumps of the brakes.

Onward and upward...
Yes, I had a 16ft long 1/2" piece of 919 that ran from my compressor to the air dryer, It was about a $350 hose but it would last a very long time. It is best suited for the job. it he compressor is having to work to use air for the truck or towing another truck that has an air leak it will blow most soft skin hoses cause the air temp will get so hot.

77 AMG

Well, I *finally* got around to getting the new-ish tires on the truck. Somehow, for some reason, the clutch is no longer dis-engaging when you depress the pedal. It was working fine before that, so I am thinking that maybe the throw out bearing has shifted off of its retainer? It was fun driving through rush hour traffic, what with having to kill the engine to stop (would NOT come out of gear) and then restart after getting it BACK into a gear. BTW, what kind of an IDIOT slathers RTV (HI-temp, at that) on a flange face, instead of using the proper "O"ring?
Went from 1400R20 down to 395/85/20 tires. Man, does it looks smaller now. :cry:

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, I *finally* got around to getting the new-ish tires on the truck. Somehow, for some reason, the clutch is no longer dis-engaging when you depress the pedal. It was working fine before that, so I am thinking that maybe the throw out bearing has shifted off of its retainer? It was fun driving through rush hour traffic, what with having to kill the engine to stop (would NOT come out of gear) and then restart after getting it BACK into a gear. BTW, what kind of an IDIOT slathers RTV (HI-temp, at that) on a flange face, instead of using the proper "O"ring?
Went from 1400R20 down to 395/85/20 tires. Man, does it looks smaller now. :cry:
Some use it since the rubber orings crack and leak when the cold hits and your tire may have moisture in it from air being put in it by a crappy compressor.

The rtv holds it together so it doesnt. Or its a field fix for a busted o ring and they dont have a replacement. I use the super 77 spray instead of rtv

Why the orings for certain wheels are like an OR420A. A = artic. And are silicone

jhooah

Air_Power_51.jpgVMPA Ruts small.jpgVMPA Carrying missile.jpgVMPA Loaded on truck.jpgVMPA mission Complete small.jpg

Went down to local Air Park, hoisted a Nike Missile with launcher out of ground it has sat in for the past 50+ years, got stuck,(Swamp, and front axles not turning) got unstuck, loaded trailer, crawled the wrecker along with no signals, no power brakes and made it 15 miles to the new location, (a former actual Nike Park) unloaded Nike and went home to clean wrecker for 3 hours, mud.... (just like we did in the real army)
Need to find wiring harness and maybe a brake booster to keep her running, you know she's a heavy truck when you can verbally count the miles per hour off as she increases speed...."Twenty Six, twenty Seven, Twenty Eight...."
Something is breaking free after 100 yards, might be a brake shoe, now to disassemble the right side duals and figure that out.
V/R W. Winget
Virginia Military Preservation Association
www.VMPA.US

Another Ahab

View attachment 781798

Went down to local Air Park, hoisted a Nike Missile with launcher out of ground
That is very cool. There apparently used to be a ring of launcher sites around D.C. back "in the day".

I recall running across one in McLean (VA) once just by happenstance (taking my daughter to one of her travel soccer matches out there).

There was no missle-and-launcher though, just a plaque.

Last edited:

dougnash

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new driver front windshield which was cracked

tried to do passenger side but the wiper motor shaft was twisted so I need to buy a new motor before install

put on new soft top

i stalled new seats covers (definitely getting air seats later)

My truck is a 1991 BMY Harsco, can someone please confirm this is the correct TM for the manual of my truck ? (See pic)

Also can someone give me correct TM for the 8.3 Cumminss, I only found the one for the 250 cummins

Thank you so much !

Attachments

fasttruck

Reference post 8765: Air braked trucks do not hold air pressure indefinitely. Many fire departments have a shore line to an in house air compressor to keep the air pressure up. With the parking brake released a straight truck is allowed to loose 2 pounds per minute so 100 pounds pressure can disappear in an hour. Some vehicles will hold pressure much longer but there are lot of potential sources of leaks: brakes, horn, wipers, transmission in the case of a M 809, clutch control on an M816, air operated ptos if so equipped, CTIS, trailer connections, the list is long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks