• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has developed a slight oil leak at the front of the engine. It appears to be coming from the accessory drive seal, leaking down the front cover and blown down the drivers side of the engine block / oil lines / etc. I've got to clean everything up and see just how much of a leak it is. It finally got everything saturated enough to put about 2 drops of oil on the ground in about a 1 hour period. Oil level still read at the full mark so I don't think it's time to tear into the front of the engine just yet. If it does happen it'll be after Durhamtown in October. Heck my buddy Simp might change it for me while I'm there now that he knows about it. He just can't seem to sit still for very long at all. One positive note, my fuel looks nice and amber again. Short back story, I had been running about a 50/50 mixture of waste atf / diesel for the past 3 years. The mixture cleaned and polished through a series of filters leading to a centrifuge that my friend Welder1 built. I finally quit using the mixture once the truck started looking like the local mosquito spraying service at all times. These 250's just don't have the compression to burn the mixture very cleanly. It didn't show the effects too much at first but once it got the inside of the exhaust nice and oily, the smoking never seemed to stop. One time I even thought the battery box under the passenger seat was on fire but it turned out to be an exhaust leak between the flex joint and the hard pipe under the cab. It was smoking and dripping oil from the exhaust pipe down the passenger side frame rail. That was the point where I had to say "enough is enough".
Post #6757 in this thread has pictures of my seal replacement. You'll need a seal, wear ring and keyway seal.

It's not a bad job. I had a lot of other stuff going on as well in the pictures. The puller I used was just as harmonic balancer puller modified slightly to use 7/16" bolts. Cost about $10 at Advance Auto.

I did not use a pulley installer...but I will if I do it again. I came close to ruining the threads on the shaft but was able to save them with thread chaser. The nut is harder than the shaft. Ruin the shaft threads and you'll be tearing down the accessory drive. The pulley installer is an OTC 7120-A.

20180722_182416.jpg

Swamp rere just did his acc drive seal awhile back. You do not need the puller or installer. Mine leaks but it's for rustproofing purposes. And I'm too lazy when I'm about to swap an engine.
Especially having to pull the water pump and readjust that belt

Get all your antifreeze ready.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Swamp rere? I know you didn't...

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 735088View attachment 735089

Mounted my Bridge Weight Plate - and (of course) had to display the number that seems to be mandated by the hobbyist group.

Haha - I know all about commercial vehicle weight limits and axle combos.... but I don’t believe I’ll be waived off an approach at any bridge crossings for being “over weight”.
Very nice. What keeps that top retainer plate from falling off? Is it wedged on? I'm missing that part and will have to make a new one and I'm not sure what gauge of metal it's made out of.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All the number plates wedge it on
Very nice. What keeps that top retainer plate from falling off? Is it wedged on? I'm missing that part and will have to make a new one and I'm not sure what gauge of metal it's made out of.

Amer-team

Tool box corrosion repair

Did a little clean up on the lower tool box on the 84 M923. There was some corrosion going on that needed some attention. Took the needle gun to it, cleaned it, and gave it a couple doses of POR 15. Then 3 coats of paint. Then cut some plastic matting to lay in the bottom for ventilation so it will dry out quicker and hopefully reduce the rusting problem due to jacks, chains and tools sitting on the bottom of the box.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Amer-team, that looks like a great effort.

All I've done with mine so far this week is drive it to Lowes to get a new well pump pressure switch. I've been trying to put it the truck on the road more and more since I nearly killed it by letting it sit. I've only been running it hard for a few months but the truck starts almost as quick as a my previous deuce, hardly smokes at all now and could probably pull as hard as Simp's truck before he switched to a Cat 7155 trans and HEMMT transfer case. Now that I've burned the old fuel out and eliminated much of the smoke, I think it's safe to bump the main fuel screw again! Before doing so I need to get a 250 psi gauge and tee it into the top of the injection pump to monitor fuel pressure going to the rail. I'm well advised that a small cam engine needs to stay under 200 psi with 185 being near optimal thanks to more knowledgeable people on here. I've read if you go too high on rail pressure, camshafts snap in short order on a small cam Cummins. I also know it's not a "rail" but rather a passage in the cylinder head castings fed by "low" pressure fuel from the injection pump. In my case on both ends as I've done the dual fuel mod.

Last edited:

Bhpdbrad

Yep!... (What he said).
Re - making your own: I'm sure you can find an OEM one on Ebay easier than making one.... but you may be a great metal worker and this would be an easy cut out.
I'll take a look at mine and measure the exact gauge thickness for you - but it'll be a week till I get there (where I store it).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Logged about 4700 miles in 7 days. So I averaged around 670 miles a day. Towbar'd a m36a2 back from PA with a 1061 in the bed. They wont fit if you dont have the drop sides. Will fit perfectly without the wide tires.

As far as problems I had an issue with a blown heat exchanger that I had to address and bypassed it on the transmission back into itself. Had a fuel transfer pump fail on one tank so I got a warranty replacement on that. Then had the lower over flow tank hose pop a hole on me on the road. One end is a 1in the other is a 1.25. So I cut the old hose in the middle and added a 1in to 1in plastic hose connector from napa and added a new 1 in hose to the side that had blown and used the 1.25 old side to get me home. Quick easy fix. Just hate antifreeze getting everywhere.

Also picked up an extra cat transmission with bellhousing. Adapter ring, flywheel, and umbilical for a cheap price. Picked up some HEMTT drive lines from Neil up in Maryland so i will have long shafts to work with on getting my front driveline redone. Also picked up a whole new pintle hitch right out o the crate for $200 View attachment 73576520180727_194839.jpg20180721_095847.jpg20180727_101025.jpg

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Logged about 4700 miles in 7 days. So I averaged around 670 miles a day. Towbar'd a m36a2 back from PA with a 1061 in the bed. They wont fit if you dont have the drop sides. Will fit perfectly without the wide tires.

As far as problems I had an issue with a blown heat exchanger that I had to address and bypassed it on the transmission back into itself. Had a fuel transfer pump fail on one tank so I got a warranty replacement on that. Then had the lower over flow tank hose pop a hole on me on the road. One end is a 1in the other is a 1.25. So I cut the old hose in the middle and added a 1in to 1in plastic hose connector from napa and added a new 1 in hose to the side that had blown and used the 1.25 old side to get me home. Quick easy fix. Just hate antifreeze getting everywhere.

Also picked up an extra cat transmission with bellhousing. Adapter ring, flywheel, and umbilical for a cheap price. Picked up some HEMTT drive lines from Neil up in Maryland so i will have long shafts to work with on getting my front driveline redone. Also picked up a whole new pintle hitch right out o the crate for $200 View attachment 735765View attachment 735766View attachment 735767View attachment 735768

Them tires are SLICK!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Away with the 1911, and in with the new M105a2 w/extended frame. 9,044 miles on the M923A2 since I purchased her last year. It’s been a ride!

someoldmoose

Went around the rig with a can of Berkebile PFC. Sprayed everything that pivots or rotates that doesn't have a grease Zerk. Found this product at work (parts store). It's "active" ingredient is a lanolin wax (insert sheep joke here). It does NOT wash out. Got my hood "safety" latches freed up and moving like new, as well as the hood hinges that groaned like the Addams family front door when lifting the 1000 lb. hood. Now only feels like 950 lb. Hahahahaha. Anyway, I now HIGHLY recommend this product if ya need something like it. Hope y'all had a GREAT weekend ( I did, saw Skynard with HANK JR. as the opening act Sat. night. A-freaking-mazing ! ) and Happy Motoring !

sandcobra164

Put a new cargo cover on my truck. Technically it's an MTVR cargo cover but both have 14 foot beds. This one cuts it really close on the sides, they are about an inch too short. After some work it looks like it was meant to be there. Old cover is going to a buddy of mine to cover some old multifuels he's saving under a pole barn. Too heavy to ship economically but it's a good thick cover with a bad tear on the right rear seam.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Took mine on a drive up town for Birthday Duty. Briggs insisted that we pull the M1102 trailer so we would have extra room to bring home all the presents! Not needed, they all fit in the Tahoe. Even though it was hot, he loves riding in old green iron! As for the truck, it's running like a champ with all these trips recently. Sitting is the worse thing for these trucks. If you rode in my truck 3 months ago versus today and you'd swear it's not the same engine in there. I can out accelerate most normal traffic to 30 mph now! Still have that 3-4 hole to overcome but it's doing that much better as well.

Attachments

someoldmoose

Cobra,
Can't wait to get my brakes reliable again. She sooooo wants to roll out but I just can't trust her yet. At least I can listen to my Cummins hum while sitting still.

sandcobra164

Moose, what are your trucks brake issues? I know they are different from mine but I did have a deuce previously and am familiar with an air assisted hydraulic brake system. I've diagnosed and replaced wheel cylinders, air packs and a master cylinder in those days. Scary system since a single failure can result in no brakes but it stayed around for years. As long as it's maintained properly it's fine. Send me a PM with your number and we'll talk trucks tomorrow around lunch. My friends call me Joseph.

71DeuceAK

Took mine on a drive up town for Birthday Duty. Briggs insisted that we pull the M1102 trailer so we would have extra room to bring home all the presents! Not needed, they all fit in the Tahoe. Even though it was hot, he loves riding in old green iron! As for the truck, it's running like a champ with all these trips recently. Sitting is the worse thing for these trucks. If you rode in my truck 3 months ago versus today and you'd swear it's not the same engine in there. I can out accelerate most normal traffic to 30 mph now! Still have that 3-4 hole to overcome but it's doing that much better as well.
These trucks don't enjoy sitting well at all. They love to just RUN. It's also a well-documented fact that they run better when in close proximity to military installations or once they know they're in good hands. I know a well-documented case of an M925A2 that was rescued from certain death at the scrap yard that once she realized she was in good hands completely changed like the flip of a switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks