• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

BenRoberts

Certified insane
After bugging Wes more than I should have he pointed me in the right direction on my fuel sucking air issues. IMG_20180805_132918453_HDR.jpg. Most of you guys know what that is but to keep a newb like myself from making the same mistake that's the hose from the fuel filter to the injection pump. Having a new one made at the Parker store tomorrow. Per advice I'm caping off the primer pump. A new filter is going in and hopefully that will do it for a while. Came close to not making it home from an event under my own power.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After bugging Wes more than I should have he pointed me in the right direction on my fuel sucking air issues. View attachment 736979. Most of you guys know what that is but to keep a newb like myself from making the same mistake that's the hose from the fuel filter to the injection pump. Having a new one made at the Parker store tomorrow. Per advice I'm caping off the primer pump. A new filter is going in and hopefully that will do it for a while. Came close to not making it home from an event under my own power.
Not like I am doing any hard work. Just soaking up some rays and pigging out. 20180805_130409.jpg20180805_194434.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After bugging Wes more than I should have he pointed me in the right direction on my fuel sucking air issues. View attachment 736979. Most of you guys know what that is but to keep a newb like myself from making the same mistake that's the hose from the fuel filter to the injection pump. Having a new one made at the Parker store tomorrow. Per advice I'm caping off the primer pump. A new filter is going in and hopefully that will do it for a while. Came close to not making it home from an event under my own power.
For future reference. In the event of a cracked rubber hose sucking air. Stop and buy a large tube of super glue and a large tube of Elmer's glue. Coat the hose in the super glue and rub it on. Let it dry. Then coat it in Elmer's glue and let it dry. Then wrap with electrical tape. It will clog any small air holes in the line.

Oh and make sure to put latex gloves on when applying the glue. There is just one of those Darwin people that you don't know how they made it that long.

Also boot polish works as well. Apply it in. Let dry then wrap the hose up.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference. In the event of a cracked rubber hose sucking air. Stop and buy a large tube of super glue and a large tube of Elmer's glue. Coat the hose in the super glue and rub it on. Let it dry. Then coat it in Elmer's glue and let it dry. Then wrap with electrical tape. It will clog any small air holes in the line.

Oh and make sure to put latex gloves on when applying the glue. There is just one of those Darwin people that you don't know how they made it that long.

They make emergency wrap, holds to 400 PSI or some such nonsense. You wrap it around and squeeze and it turns into a rock hard sealant. I always keep a couple rolls handy...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They make emergency wrap, holds to 400 PSI or some such nonsense. You wrap it around and squeeze and it turns into a rock hard sealant. I always keep a couple rolls handy...
The problem with that stuff is that it cant get into deep cracks a hose may have. So it sometimes would slow a leak or slow some air getting by but may not completely seal it the glue tends to get into the cracking or rotting in the hose and stay there.

tobyS

Not to go too far off subject....but did you guys see that a 1095 trailer went up on GP and sold at $2500? That is the 2nd one I have not bid on, only to see that it went at a price I thought was reasonable (even good).

I like them and what a fine companion to the LMTV or MTV! Only 2 times in the last 3 years have I seen one at gov. auction. I seem to have cash flow shortage exactly when they have come up. Oh well. While it would work great behind my M929 , not having a FMTV makes it a bearable loss (again).

someoldmoose

Well, time for the next installment of "The Schmuck Did Nothing Worthwhile". That being said, I really just wanna beat the Deuce Boys (and girls) to 800 pages of thread. Sooooo, this week Exit Strategy received an "upgrade" to the residential electrical system. I changed out the 100' 16/3 extension cord for a 25' 12/3 cord to see if I can squeeze a little bit more run time outta the generator's fuel tank. I also shoved some 3/4" EPS insulation between the glass and black-out plate on the door without the a/c unit. The sun shines right in during the hottest part of the day and my poor 5000 btu chiller has been workin' hard. Still wanna stuff the area around the a/c box with foam too but have to negotiate with the estranged one to borrow my multi-ladder so whenever that is approved . . .

Anyway, I look forward to the day when I actually DO ​something with / to the truck that is worthy of submission. I admire all who undertake major projects, or minor, and report regularly.

BenRoberts

Certified insane

And make sure you use the bathroom right after and shake more than twice

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with that stuff is that it cant get into deep cracks a hose may have. So it sometimes would slow a leak or slow some air getting by but may not completely seal it the glue tends to get into the cracking or rotting in the hose and stay there.
It's to get you down the road, or out of the mountains/desert/whathaveyou...Not a permanent fix.

I carry spare hoses/belts in my M1031, but it doesn't hurt to have..

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In preparation for adding a turbo and the subsequent moving of the air cleaner to the passenger side fender I've made a new fender brace - the first of 3 total that I need to add. This brace makes a 30°-60°-90° triangle but the fender also slopes back at 12.5° so it took some thinking to get it right. I squished the ends in a 30 ton press, bent the ends in a vise to 30 & 60 and then tigged the seams shut. It turned out well and looks factory.
20180806_203009.jpg
20180727_153013.jpg
20180805_201131.jpg

74M35A2

Unloaded junk out of the bed. Cleaned the worn out 14.00's, re-sprayed the rims flat black, and hope to get the LWS mounted before Woodward Dream Cruise next weekend (the largest single day car event in the world). Making clip-on aircraft seatbelts for the troop seats to stay legal so I don't have 16 people walking home. Here is a pic from 2016, same event, some chicken wings on the cowl....

WDC 2018.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Unloaded junk out of the bed. Cleaned the worn out 14.00's, re-sprayed the rims flat black, and hope to get the LWS mounted before Woodward Dream Cruise next weekend (the largest single day car event in the world). Making clip-on aircraft seatbelts for the troop seats to stay legal so I don't have 16 people walking home...

those seatbelts wont help if you run out of diesel......again.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So i finally was able to move my M927A2 to a better more secure storage area and it was cheaper! Just some things that i noticed that after i moved it.
the throttle cable was broken inside the cab and ill probably have to replace the whole thing
20180808_164045_1533779755486_resized.jpg

Found some foam on the ground under the engine so i pulled it open to see this. great got to pull that out too.
20180808_164154_1533779753331_resized.jpg20180808_164204_1533779750712_resized.jpg

Noticed a nice little nest that a lil birdie must have made. Sorry i moved your home.
20180808_170256_1533779721344.jpg20180808_170422_1533779584648_resized.jpg

need to replace the rubber mounts, looks like they are pretty degraded.
20180808_170601_1533779582243_resized.jpg

either this bastard built a nest overnight or flew after me for 30 plus miles.
20180808_171323_1533779578798_resized.jpg

now it makes sense why the ether wouldnt work, its not attached to anything other than the button inside the cab.
20180808_164358_1533779721594.jpg

here is my daily driver next to my 5 ton. thought there would be a bigger size difference.
20180808_171604_1533779575345_resized.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks