• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was just laying underneath my M927A2 (its weird that i like laying under it and just looking around) and I noticed this. What the **** is going on with this?
IMG_20181011_161129.jpgIMG_20181011_161217.jpgIMG_20181011_161236.jpgIMG_20181011_161301.jpg

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you noticed any of your gauges or lights not working correctly? It looks like it's important.
No dummy lights, no issues with air brakes. To me someone just made some kind of bypass but i have no idea what its for. I drove the truck from one storage to another before I saw this and nothing seemed off.

Last edited:

therooster2001

So I was just laying underneath my M927A2 (its weird that i like laying under it and just looking around) and I noticed this. What the **** is going on with this?
View attachment 768227View attachment 768228View attachment 768229View attachment 768230
That looks very CTIS to me, like a speed sensor. You’re going to have to trace that guy, it looks like it’s coming off the wet tank?

And someone here had a signature attributed to another member. Something like “any good repair starts with staring at it like an idiot for a good half an hour”. That’s me..

Last edited:

TEAMJENSEN

View attachment 768227View attachment 768228View attachment 768229View attachment 768230
It looks like the pressure sensor on the wet tank for ctis. Once the sensor detects 120lbs air pressure it allows ctis to air tires up. Mine was broke when I bought it
I cant find a replacement anywhere. Is your ctis operational?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like the pressure sensor on the wet tank for ctis. Once the sensor detects 120lbs air pressure it allows ctis to air tires up. Mine was broke when I bought it
I cant find a replacement anywhere. Is your ctis operational?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't think it is operational. My front two tires go flat if I leave it for a couple of months. They don't fill when I'm running the truck either.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove mine to work 2 days in a row. That deserves a toast!! Met Another Ahab for lunch today. He is alive and well!! Had a great time. Then tonight I cut out the screen out on the intake as some of you recommend for more air. I already have the air filter kit from TMG. It was a warm day and truck ran hot. Actually spit some antifreeze out of the overflow when it was just sitting in the parking lot running. Has me worried since it has always run at @ 200. Tomorrow I will finish paint job on trailer. That's in the paint thread.
IMG_3704.JPGIMG_3705.JPG

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove mine to work 2 days in a row. That deserves a toast!! Met Another Ahab for lunch today. He is alive and well!! Had a great time. Then tonight I cut out the screen out on the intake as some of you recommend for more air. I already have the air filter kit from TMG. It was a warm day and truck ran hot. Actually spit some antifreeze out of the overflow when it was just sitting in the parking lot running. Has me worried since it has always run at @ 200...
Thanks for the update on Ahab, good to hear he’s well!
Keep us posted on if you notice anything different with the screen removed. I want to start with the small things to try and boost my performance while hopefully lowering my EGT’s, and hope I can get some good data along the way to prove any results.
Have you flushed your radiator yet? Mine was quite a mess, probably took 500 gallons of water and a dozen heat cycles, before the water came back out “mostly clear”. I also installed a coolant filter while I was at it, I’m sure it’s getting a work out. Also, have you verified your temperature with an IR gun to make sure your gauge is accurate and the shutterstat is engaging the fan at the correct temperature?

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update on Ahab, good to hear he’s well!
Keep us posted on if you notice anything different with the screen removed. I want to start with the small things to try and boost my performance while hopefully lowering my EGT’s, and hope I can get some good data along the way to prove any results.
Have you flushed your radiator yet? Mine was quite a mess, probably took 500 gallons of water and a dozen heat cycles, before the water came back out “mostly clear”. I also installed a coolant filter while I was at it, I’m sure it’s getting a work out. Also, have you verified your temperature with an IR gun to make sure your gauge is accurate and the shutterstat is engaging the fan at the correct temperature?
I had done the radiator when I got to rebuild the air compressor this winter. Fluid is clean and green. Wondering if thermostat is stuck?? Fan does kick on at @ 220. No IR gun. Without removing the thermostat I guess there is no way to "manually" move fluid through the block to check it?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove mine 210 miles back home.

Air dryer started leaking at 90 miles, would only hold 90psi. I figured if I just kept the hammer down all the way home I could make it.

Nope. Buzzer came on brakes started grabbing.

I messaged madjack about something and also told him I was stuck.

“Just bypass the air dryer!”

Well duh, that was too easy. Crawled under there and eyeballed it, matched up the threads from one side to the threads somewhere on the other side. 30 min later I’m rolling.

Thx Madjack!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had done the radiator when I got to rebuild the air compressor this winter. Fluid is clean and green. Wondering if thermostat is stuck?? Fan does kick on at @ 220. No IR gun. Without removing the thermostat I guess there is no way to "manually" move fluid through the block to check it?
220 seems too high for the fan and 200 too high for the thermostat, but the spread seems about right for your gauge being off. I think you can get a cheap gun a harbor freight, shoot your thermostat housing and the pipe around the shutterstat to verify. Hopefully your just your gauge is off, and you where just a little overfull when you pushed the fluid out...

sandcobra164

CARMAN,
Just curious, what kind of driving conditions are you under running those temperatures? My M923's fan never cycles on when moving a constant 40 mph or better and never budges over 180. Around town I'll have the fan cycle on and off as needed around 200 degrees in SW GA heat. Durhamtown is 190 miles each direction for me and it's normally still high 80's low 90's and running flat out never causes the fan to come on traveling the interstate. Mine is a NHC-250 powered truck and the fuel screw has been conservatively turned up but no button change. The engine also has the dual fuel line modification. It does have some faint black smoke on initial acceleration and pulling hills but I don't have any egt data to post.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished rebuilding the COMPLETE brake system on my M818!! All new brake hoses, hard lines (I used the copper/nickle with stainless rock gaurds), new brass fittings, new master cylinder, new (or rebuilt, not sure) air pack, new brake cylinders on all 6 hubs, new brake shoes, just bleed the brakes with some purple DOT 5 fluid, new springs on all hubs, new seals, new non-zipper boots, had to replace 5 bearings, 3 inner 2 outer, a lot of new red grease, new ball bearings on passenger side Bendix axle, drained and replaced gear oil in all 3 differentials, new parking brake pads with new springs, and before I could take my beast on the road, MY BATTERIES DIED!! My voltage meter was all over the place too. I don't know where to start with this new problem. Life can be real funny sometimes...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARMAN,
Just curious, what kind of driving conditions are you under running those temperatures? My M923's fan never cycles on when moving a constant 40 mph or better and never budges over 180. Around town I'll have the fan cycle on and off as needed around 200 degrees in SW GA heat. Durhamtown is 190 miles each direction for me and it's normally still high 80's low 90's and running flat out never causes the fan to come on traveling the interstate. Mine is a NHC-250 powered truck and the fuel screw has been conservatively turned up but no button change. The engine also has the dual fuel line modification. It does have some faint black smoke on initial acceleration and pulling hills but I don't have any egt data to post.
Stationary high idle (1800rpm ish) using mine as an air compressor cycles my fan even more than hard pulls in the hills. I usually run 180-200 as well.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARMAN,
Been in the high 80"s and 90"s . Truck usually runs great. Have only had fan come on one other time in a parade. It was HOT! When moving...no problem. It's the traffic around here. Friday on east bound 66 was barely at a crawl and the truck got hot. Then yesterday returning from work I had left it out running while I cleared some room in the warehouse and when I went to bring the truck in there was a pile of coolant on the ground. Popped the hood and it was just the overflow. But gauge was at 210-220. Did not take it out today. Was cleaning and painting trailer.

Spyderman

The first time my fan came on it scared the you know what outta me. My fan only comes on under heavy load going up hill. I drove mine for 7 months before it ever came on.

Sent from my webslinger using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks